XO Manowar [2017] #23 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
XO Manowar [2017] #23 Discussion

Post by otomo »

All hail the return of Tomas Giorello.

I mean this guy can just do 22 pages of pin ups or splash pages and I probably will cheer for the book. I don't think there's anyone whose art I love more.

And... that's not even the case here. Kindt brings back the bounty hunters from I can't remember the issue... 11-12? In there? I was a little annoyed they did a filler issue going back into their origins and the like, but now that they're brought back recurring and not just a one use, I am not as annoyed by that. They're more important.

B.O.B. is the new Love Boat. That's amusing.

I loved the whole set up, though it was a little bit of a slow roll with the aliens fighting, and then humanity discovering there's weird stuff going on, Aric being broody and instrospective... and then the plot really began. Definitely a designed-for-trade-not-single-issue type of set up, which annoys me a little but given the feel of it all and the art, you know, I'm good with it.

The start of something very nice. I haven't been this excited for XO since the first arc.

9/10.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: XO Manowar [2017] #23 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Livewire #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr193/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I liked xo this week. I enjoyed the return of thoes bounty hunters.
They still feel like armor hunters 2.0 but still I think they are fun. It makes sence to me they follow Aric. Im suprised they got the drop on shawnhara. I remember shanhara spotted a vine ship arriving in orbit and warned Aric.
The art, dialogue both good. I wasent blown away but its better than previous issues for a wile. I give this a 4.0 out of 5 finally some tail entertaimos
I Miss the good old days.

Prime_Vino
paulsmith56 is my hero
paulsmith56 is my hero
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: X-O Manowar 2012
Favorite writer: N/A
Favorite artist: N/A

Post by Prime_Vino »

This issue was alright. But I felt like a lot of the issue was used to set up the two page "fight" between Aric and the bounty hunters. The pay was the confrontation at the end but the fight was so short and not really eventful maybe their saying it for the next issue but I doubt it. I feel more of a fight should've been put up sure it was an ambush but make it more "fun" or intense. Aric got hit twice and that was it..
Other than the fight I don't find the bounty hunters really interesting tbh I don't know any of there names but there not bad just bland they need more development and or "cooler" moments to stick with me. They aren't a Commander Trill thats for sure. I like the conversation with the armor Aric had. It was fun seeing Aric ask the question about his pee and funny seeing the armor morph itself into different styles especially the Ninjak one. Overall an alright issue.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Terrific issue! It's good to see the bounty hunters again as recurring villains. It looks like Schon is gonna be at his side again. And with Sabbas making a cameo in the last issue it's nice to see all of these story elements pulling back together.

And yes, Giorello is utterly fantastic.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Just listened to the podcast:

You guys are way too jaded. :P

On the one hand you're saying you can't remember some of the bounty hunter stuff... and on the other saying it would have been better if a lot more time had passed before we saw them again.

And you're picking nits too finely. Complaining that Capshaw didn't recognize a GN-GR bot? The chopper is way out in advance, she's ordering them to get closer ('no excuses') and get a reading. The hand and the bot emerge from the water, destroy the chopper and she exclaims "What the hell was that?"

Yeah, well, since she couldn't see what happened, I don't fault her for not recognizing the assailant... especially since it doesn't have the most identifiable aspect of a GN-GR bot, the spherical head. Even if she had seen it, seeing a gigantic robotic body with a spaceship for a head still probably would have confused her.

Lighten up, it's a good issue! :thumb:

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

It’s hard not to be. I mean... you’re not wrong. We could’ve done a bit more to give this book a fair look but it’s hard when it feels like work. I was very high on the first issue of the last arc and it just went off the rails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Listening to the podcast, I realize that my memory needs a refresh. I remember most of the broad strokes of the bounty hunter issues but not some particulars. I was impressed that you remembered that the bounty hunter that appeared in Aric's dream just before they arrived was the one that tried on the armor and was killed by it. I recognized the character but not that he was the one killed. Can it be that his conscience is still somehow imbued within the armor, as you suggested? Hmmm...

Anyway, I am thinking that perhaps I will do a reread of the entire Kindt run. Issues always read better back to back. And it's not like we have a ton of Valiant to read these days.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

And I'm reminded that we really don't have a name for the race of beings that GIN-GR belongs to.

The reference page states they are Class-I Independent Operation Unit. An IOU? Yes, Valiant owes us a name! :D

I got nothing. Any suggestions? Just the IOUs?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote:Listening to the podcast, I realize that my memory needs a refresh. I remember most of the broad strokes of the bounty hunter issues but not some particulars. I was impressed that you remembered that the bounty hunter that appeared in Aric's dream just before they arrived was the one that tried on the armor and was killed by it. I recognized the character but not that he was the one killed. Can it be that his conscience is still somehow imbued within the armor, as you suggested? Hmmm...

Anyway, I am thinking that perhaps I will do a reread of the entire Kindt run. Issues always read better back to back. And it's not like we have a ton of Valiant to read these days.
:superstar:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote:And I'm reminded that we really don't have a name for the race of beings that GIN-GR belongs to.

The reference page states they are Class-I Independent Operation Unit. An IOU? Yes, Valiant owes us a name! :D

Spice Bots?

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Best XO issue in a while. Art was great, Aric’s got short hair again and the return of 2 of Kindt’S best new characters. I hope Kindt ends his Valiant run with a bang, overall he’s been a big plus for the company (even though this series had lost its way).

4/5 - :thumb: C’mon Kindt, stick the landing on this arc :hope:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

hawkeyeps wrote:
jmatt wrote:And I'm reminded that we really don't have a name for the race of beings that GIN-GR belongs to.

Spice Bots?
Only if the next one we see is GR-LIC. :D