Incursion #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Incursion #1 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Artwork = fantastic (you knew Braithwaite would make it work).
Writing & Story = interesting, new, and expansive. Worth reading.

I am interested to read issue #2 and see how this plays into the rest of the VU.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: Incursion #1 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Jace and I discuss this issue in our podcast linked below:

https://lrmonline.com/?powerpress_pinw=128382-podcast

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I thought this was really good, a lot of potential.

Looking forward to more.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Agreed. Solid start to this series, looking forward to it now!

Only non-spoiler thing I want to say is that I’m having trouble
remembering exactly where we left off with each of the main characters, the last time we saw them... Gilad was back as of the last arc of Ninja-K, and Tama? ... she was last seen in Harby Wars II, right? Piloting the Loveboat?

This is kind of the trouble with everyone always appearing in short mini-series all the time with long gaps between appearances... it seems to be easier to lose track of where they’re at.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The way things have been with DMG I dont think I can invest in this. Sounds good but fool me twice
I Miss the good old days.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

nonplayer wrote:The way things have been with DMG I dont think I can invest in this. Sounds good but fool me twice
I feel the same way. I will get LIFE AND DEATH OF TOYO but otherwise I am probably done with Valiant comics for the foreseeable future. Maybe eventually I'll swing back around and check out the books I skipped but I really have no enthusiasm for any of it.

I might just be grumpy. :?

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
nonplayer wrote:The way things have been with DMG I dont think I can invest in this. Sounds good but fool me twice
I feel the same way. I will get LIFE AND DEATH OF TOYO but otherwise I am probably done with Valiant comics for the foreseeable future. Maybe eventually I'll swing back around and check out the books I skipped but I really have no enthusiasm for any of it.

I might just be grumpy. :?
O Im defedently grumpy ever since Dinesh got kicked out and the way dmg handled ninjak vs, and the carp storm Hw 2 turned into and it just continues and continues. Xo meterorite arc, cancelling a good title like ninjak, and bloodshot Rising Sperit. I wont be dropping Valiant all together. I still plan to get xo till they stop making xo comics . And I cant wait for ladoth
Dmg is now just as
I Miss the good old days.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Interviewed Alex Paknadel today about Incursion, episode will be up this Sunday.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Jace wrote:Interviewed Alex Paknadel today about Incursion, episode will be up this Sunday.
Looking forward to listening! :thumb: :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Incursion episode with Alex is up. Link is below

https://lrmonline.com/news/episode-716/

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Promising start to the series. Feels paced much like his shadowman run, sets up an intriguing premise, plenty of action, art is very very nice, and we'll see you next month.

Because of the way it's set up though it's going to be hard to really say how good this is til the end of the series. Still, enjoyed and had fun, all I can ask of a comic.

10/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Off to a great start! I thought the line about the Book of Geomancer feeling shifted inside was a cool touch. A panel or two later it's bleeding ink. And Tama's line about "I'm not as patient as I look" is both funny and badass.

This is a little like Galactus in a sense: A lifeforce consuming entity that sends a herald (Syntilla) before their arrival.

The inclusion of a Deadside aspect has me a little nervous and excited simultaneously... it's a cool aspect but I hope we don't spend too much time there. Oh, and it's good to see Gilad working with a Geomancer again.

Braithwaite's art is strong but sometimes he's a little too sketchy for my tastes. And Diggle's been great too, so I have high hopes for the book. I'm not that familiar with Paknadel... has he written for VEI before? I can't recall.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& XO Manowar #24], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr196/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Artwork = fantastic (you knew Braithwaite would make it work).
Writing & Story = interesting, new, and expansive. Worth reading.

I am interested to read issue #2 and see how this plays into the rest of the VU.
Exactly this. Couple of promising new characters too.

4/5 :thumb:

mullinsmcd
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by mullinsmcd »

So doesnt this premise break continuity with how Eternal Warrior dies? Per Wrath of the Eternal Warrior isnt Gilad reborn into the demon world each time surrounded by his past family then have to fight his way out? i thought that was a brilliant piece of character dev and i hope this author at least read that work and we will see some comparisons to demon world vs deadside.

I think there also an opportunity to expand the lore as well. Why is earth so important to have the Geomancer which is seemingly known by galactic entities? Do other planets have geomancer equivalents? If not then why is the Earth special. All really good avenues to worldbuild without conflicting with storypoints since 2012.

Also re: Deadside, it seems that they are making that equivalent to the cognitive realm ala Brandon Sandersons Cosmere world where its another state of existence that is interconnected with all living beings galactically. This means we can 'worldhop' without needing a spaceship and potentially meet up with characters from any of the various planets that XO has visited. Lots of great setup here to do cool *SQUEE* and also reward longterm fans.

If DMG was playing this smart i would love a final conflict to be not an ax showdown but a fight between the Immortal Enemy and this new alien queen. This would put the final conflict with characters on the same level.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& XO Manowar #24], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr196/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listening now... I swear I wasn't copping your Galactus observation! Great minds think alike. :D

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& XO Manowar #24], please follow the link;

Listening now... I swear I wasn't copping your Galactus observation! Great minds think alike. :D
:high-five:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

And I agree with the podcast's observation that Diggle really, actually does his homework on everything he writes. I love that he manages to tie in his new work on Incursion with what we've seen before with Tama in Deadside, etc.

I love new stuff -- but ignoring everything that came before is just lazy on the part of writers. Diggle is just outstanding in his ability to reach back and tie it all in.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

jmatt wrote:And I agree with the podcast's observation that Diggle really, actually does his homework on everything he writes. I love that he manages to tie in his new work on Incursion with what we've seen before with Tama in Deadside, etc.

I love new stuff -- but ignoring everything that came before is just lazy on the part of writers. Diggle is just outstanding in his ability to reach back and tie it all in.
Yep. I agree with this as well. Makes me happy as a long time fan.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

I'm kind of on the fence about this, might grab the trade. I want more Eternal Warrior, but I am not a fan of the Deadside stuff. I really wish they would give him his own series again with some longer term plans for the character; something ultra bloody and violent.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:

I'm just reading Incursion now. I hadn't read any discussion about it previously, but had the same reaction regarding this being Valiant's Galactus.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.