Livewire #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Livewire #3 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Clearly folks have had mixed feeling about this series and/or the creative direction they are taking Amanda.

However, following the horrific comic book debacle that was Harbinger Wars II, this series (Livewire) has made significant strides towards salvaging the character.

I personally believe that this issue (Livewire #3) makes the MOST significant strides towards her positive character growth and/or development (in a single issue) since she parted ways with Harada in the pages of Unity.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: Livewire #3 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Jace and I discuss this issue in our podcast linked below:

https://lrmonline.com/?powerpress_pinw=128382-podcast

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Clearly folks have had mixed feeling about this series and/or the creative direction they are taking Amanda.

However, following the horrific comic book debacle that was Harbinger Wars II, this series (Livewire) has made significant strides towards salvaging the character.

I personally believe that this issue (Livewire #3) makes the MOST significant strides towards her positive character growth and/or development (in a single issue) since she parted ways with Harada in the pages of Unity.
Agreed, much better than the second issue.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

hawkeyeps wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:Clearly folks have had mixed feeling about this series and/or the creative direction they are taking Amanda.

Agreed, much better than the second issue.
+1 - I won’t say anything spoiler-y until after the issue is out, but I do want to say that I enjoyed this issue much more than the previous 2 issues. Good stuff here.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Is there any sign of some kind of explanation for the discrepancies between her current and previous power set? I mean, flying without her suit and preventing the aeroplane disaster with super speed (etc.)…? :|
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr195/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Definitely an improvement on the first 2 issues, but the bar had been set so low it’s difficult to assess just how good it was.

Good that it addresses the unanswered issues from HW2 and interesting plot twist that Pan is her brother. It was unclear by the end whether he was the good guy and she was the baddie but that’s probably for the better and in keeping with Valiant ‘shades of grey’ between good and bad.

Some art panels were a tad confusing, such as the fight scene in the building where Livewire was staying. Action seemed to go from one location to another in a confusing way. Only a minor gripe though.

Compared to issues 1&2 and the drivel that is Blooodshot Rising Spirit, this book is 5/5 Watchmen standard. In reality it’s about a 3.75/5. Improving :thumb:

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

This whole series has been a "meh" for me. there's very little personal stakes here, it feels distant from the character. The art is kind of hard to get into as well. As folk noted, better than the first two issues, but that's not that high a bar.

5/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I really liked the first issue, but haven’t been fond of LiveWire being basically a punching bag these last two issues... :?
#StayValiant

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I like that the narrative is following through. A pretty good issue overall and I find myself more interested.

The eyes flashing... I recalled something similar (and odd) back in Ninjak #26. No idea if it's connected and I don't have the issue handy.

There were a few panel to panel continuity issues... in one panel he's attacking her with a knife. In the next, no knife. Then later, she finds a pistol laying on the ground, not sure where that came from. I'm gonna read again.