The Forgotten Queen #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
The Forgotten Queen #1 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

This is more interesting and overall better than what we saw in Unity when The War Monger 1st appeared.

It is also exactly what I expected it would be based on what we know of the character.

Some people will love the irreverent, aggressive, and abrasive personality; while others will have a difficult time enjoying this book due to the same characterization. It is certainly an improvement (in my opinion).

My advice to Valiant? War Monger has potential, and might fit better in the Archer & Armstrong and/or Quantum & Woody side of the Valiant Universe.

Actually, yes, that is what must happen. The character simply doesn’t work fully with the Harbingner, Bloodshot, Ninjak, XO side of things.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: The Forgotten Queen #1 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Jace and I discuss this issue in our podcast linked below:

https://lrmonline.com/?powerpress_pinw=128382-podcast

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Wait, this came out? I didn't see it.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

No, Valiant ships out Adobe files that have their comics on them.

I too have read a few of these, and it's a darn good series!
Moose

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr197/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I gotta say I was pretty pleased with the book overall, and didn't find the portrayal of War-Monger as abrasive as I did in the Unity series. The expletives were a little more tame and I found the character (Vexana) more interesting. I didn't really mind the expletives, per se, the first time around, only in that they were a distraction from the work and after a while seemed like a crutch for the characterization.

Seeing more of her backstory, isolated from the rest of the Valiant characters also helped since I was able to focus more on her. In Unity, she seemed to come from nowhere and we saw her take on the members one at a time per issue which was odd for a team book. As I recall, it all tied back together when she was defeated... but until that point I was left scratching my head at all the dis-unity going on.

I wouldn't mind seeing her interact with other VEI characters if the fit was right. And like some of the VCR podcasters, agree that Gilad is a good fit. I think a matchup with Aram would work as well, since they both have rough edges and are immortal.

I guess at this point, why the retrieval of the armor is so important to Sarnai is of interest, I feel there's more there than simply historical preservation. Also, before Erik is killed, he's saying "No, something right, finally right..."; what's up with that?

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

This book was ok, not great but worth a read. I thought the pacing of the flash backs worked well. Perhaps it needed a grittier art style to suit the character a little more and fhr colours seemed overly bright given the vibe of the character.

Not really sure what the point of her power is, she makes people kill each other and then what? :?

I’ll continue reading.

3.5/5

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Not really sure what the point of her power is, she makes people kill each other and then what? :?
Maybe that makes her even more interesting. She doesn't have a goal. She can't be sated.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Not really sure what the point of her power is, she makes people kill each other and then what? :?
Maybe that makes her even more interesting. She doesn't have a goal. She can't be sated.

True! Never thought of it that way. That would be interesting if she was just a total psycho! :hm:

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I liked the diving expedition, that was pretty fun. I wish they'd stuck with that instead of going with the "slay queen I am woman stronger than any khan" generic backstory which is so tired at this point. Art was really inconsistent, especially in the faces. I think I'm out on this one already. The new crop of books really aren't doing great outside Andy Diggle's work.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.