X-O Manowar [2017] #25 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
X-O Manowar [2017] #25 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Incursion #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr199/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Re: X-O Manowar [2017] #25 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Missed first on this one! So sad.

Well this was about perfect. I'm sorry to see the arc end. This made me feel much like the early issues of the run with Giorello's art which made me so excited about it. Not a ton of comment on the plot as it was pretty much pew pew pew fight fight fight, though Schon's interactions gave enough depth where I didn't feel I wasted my money.

I await the conclusion... and am sad for the reboot again.

10/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Disappointing!

In addition to Aric already having a hand cut off, one of the hunters gets his hand cut off in this issue as does Schon!?? There’s such a thing as going to the well too many times with a concept. facepalm Even worse, Schon has zero impact on her for losing a hand! Zero! Nada! No obvious pain or effect, she just holds her wrists like she’s got pins and needles! :? What was the point?

Feels like Kindt has lost interest in this title, surprised to say this but I’m glad it’s ending soon, needs a fresh writer, fresh ideas.

Art was fine, Giorello is B level IMO

3/5 - serviceable

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

The title came in like a lion, leaving like a mouse. I loved how the series started, but it kind of has been in a state of "meh" for a bit and now it's hanging up its hat. I'm hoping the new series returns some of that old excitement, but for me this issue felt almost like a rush to the end, like there was a lot more planned but things kind of just fell apart. The fight wasn't particularly well done or choreographed; I thought it was kind of confusing.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

This book kind of left me "meh". Thought it was solid, but there are still questions that I have...

Biggest being, it looked like the suit was degrading due to whatever they hit it with. The suit has seemed to be faltering since the interactions with "The Unknown" fight. This suit is supposed to have the knowledge of all entities of outer space, yet now we've seen two different entities damage it severely. Still, throughout the entire book, you can see the suit degrading a little more and a little more. Maybe this gets answered in the last book? Regardless, there never seemed to be any urgency for Aric to figure out what is going on with the suit.

We will have to see what the wrap up has in store for the remainder of this story. I too am glad it's ending, as this wasn't nearly as fun as Venditti's run. It started strong, the art was way better, but the story (especially the last 5 or 6 books) fell off.
Moose

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Mmm, I guess I'm okay with it. This issue played out as you'd expect. I'm okay with the armor on the fritz for this fight otherwise Aric is invincible.

I always want the bad guys to have a can of whoop arse opened up and pounded into their skulls with an anvil as an end to an arc such as this. Not sure if were gonna get that... how many issues are left on this? One?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Just one more issue, #26 is the finale.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
I always want the bad guys to have a can of whoop arse opened up and pounded into their skulls with an anvil as an end to an arc such as this. Not sure if were gonna get that... how many issues are left on this? One?
Nice use of the word ‘arse’ instead of ‘*SQUEE*’ :lol: :clap:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Nice use of the word ‘arse’ instead of ‘*SQUEE*’ :lol: :clap:
Oh yeah, a$$ is a banned word, nice way to beat the system and stick it to the man jmatt :kidaround:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

On the podcast they guys were talking about some loose ends... one of them being the location of Fen-L, who dropped off Schon and rocketed skyward. They were wondering where she is during all of this combat.

Perhaps she's waiting in orbit and will ambush An-Ise as the bounty hunters try to make their exit. :hope:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:On the podcast they guys were talking about some loose ends... one of them being the location of Fen-L, who dropped off Schon and rocketed skyward. They were wondering where she is during all of this combat.

Perhaps she's waiting in orbit and will ambush An-Ise as the bounty hunters try to make their exit. :hope:
I think it was Gin-gr who dropped Schon off :?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
jmatt wrote:On the podcast they guys were talking about some loose ends... one of them being the location of Fen-L, who dropped off Schon and rocketed skyward. They were wondering where she is during all of this combat.

Yeah, there is suddenly a spate of CLIOs (Class-I Independent Operation Unit)... it's hard to keep track.

Gin-Gr
Fen-L
Baz-L
An-Ise

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yeah, there is suddenly a spate of CLIOs (Class-I Independent Operation Unit)... it's hard to keep track.

Gin-Gr
Fen-L
Baz-L
An-Ise
What bugs me the most is how could all this stuff go down with GATE and Livewire and we see nothing at all about GIN-GR? It's kind of a big deal, the world knows about GIN-GR and Livewire was the spokesperson for Unity. Now we have all these CLIOs showing up and still nothing from GIN_GR?

All this Matt Kindt HW2/XO stuff is just a giant mess. This isn't playing in the sandbox, it's pooping in it.

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

hawkeyeps wrote:What bugs me the most is how could all this stuff go down with GATE and Livewire and we see nothing at all about GIN-GR? It's kind of a big deal, the world knows about GIN-GR and Livewire was the spokesperson for Unity. Now we have all these CLIOs showing up and still nothing from GIN_GR?

All this Matt Kindt HW2/XO stuff is just a giant mess. This isn't playing in the sandbox, it's pooping in it.
It's like all the characters from ETERNITY showing up in X-O yet no Divinity? It just doesn't make sense. These are easy dots to connect, they just have to try. Where are the editors when you need them?

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:What bugs me the most is how could all this stuff go down with GATE and Livewire and we see nothing at all about GIN-GR? It's kind of a big deal, the world knows about GIN-GR and Livewire was the spokesperson for Unity. Now we have all these CLIOs showing up and still nothing from GIN_GR?

It's like all the characters from ETERNITY showing up in X-O yet no Divinity? It just doesn't make sense. These are easy dots to connect, they just have to try. Where are the editors when you need them?
Exactly! And what about the 4 issue Sabas story after waiting over a year for him to get back to earth and find out why he left in the first place? And that was the HW2 tie in! :?

I just feel ripped off by this whole run.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

hawkeyeps wrote:I just feel ripped off by this whole run.
I have to say that I enjoyed a lot of it. Yes, there are some questions and loose ends but on the whole it's been pretty good. I like that we've had a set of villains return to the series after a year for Round 2... we don't get much of that.

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

hawkeyeps wrote:Exactly! And what about the 4 issue Sabas story after waiting over a year for him to get back to earth and find out why he left in the first place? And that was the HW2 tie in! :?
I wonder what his purpose is/was? If he turned out to be Divinity it would have brought many threads together including DIVINITY #0 which has Abrams noticing that Aric isn't in the proper place. Then it could have tied into the AGENT arc with the Eternity characters. I'm guessing as it stands we will get no explanation for this and I'll even go out on a limb and say the follow up series will ignore or forget most of this.
jmatt wrote:I have to say that I enjoyed a lot of it.
Surprisingly enough I did too! It just pales in comparison to what came before it. I wonder how much it was impacted by the DMG shake up and having the plans of HW2 changed. Up until that point everything was fine, if a little underwhelming. After that Kindt's heart just didn't seem into it anymore. Even with HW2 changing I expect a writer of Kindt's caliber to be able to deliver. Instead it's slowly devolved into a confusing, questionable mess.

Whether it was X-O, Shadowman, HW2 or Bloodshot. All these series were clearly headed into a different direction then what we ended up getting. It's a real shame. I would love nothing more than for any of the creators involved to give an honest autopsy on each of these series. What their plans were, what went wrong, and how well they think they did given the abrupt pivot. A little thought process would go along way to assuaging our pain and confusion.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:nice way to beat the system and stick it to the man jmatt :kidaround:
I've been trying to find the source of that splinter for 5 days. :!:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

:hm:
greg wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:nice way to beat the system and stick it to the man jmatt :kidaround:
I've been trying to find the source of that splinter for 5 days. :!:
:lol:

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Disappointing!

In addition to Aric already having a hand cut off, one of the hunters gets his hand cut off in this issue as does Schon!??
3/5 - serviceable
Blah Blah blah, aliens can regenrate limbs, yada yada yada.

Either that, or the curse of the evil hand.
This is what happens when you try to work...

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

I read the 2017 series via the Omnibus. The start with Giorello's art really had me engaged, but I am a big fan of his work. From the omnibus perspective, the different artist kinda matched the writing for each individual story arc but overall I don't know if it's worth picking up Vol 2 of the series. Any suggestions from the board would be appreciated.