The Forgotten Queen #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
The Forgotten Queen #3 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #6, & Punk Mambo #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr203/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: The Forgotten Queen #3 Discussion

Post by kjjohanson »

I haven't been keeping up with all of the new stuff recently, but caught up on this as I read that this issue would change the Valiant Universe. While it's not quite universe-shattering, the reveal at the end does make things more interesting (if it's literally the case) and will probably mean that the character will be around for the long haul. I'm glad I picked up the incentives for Unity when I found them.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Interesting plot twist that War Monger is Gilad’s sister, does this relate back to the Eternal Warrior mini series from a few years back ...or was that his son and daughter? Can’t recall now :hm:

This issue was an improvement from the mediocre previous issues, let’s see how it ends?

3.75/5

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Interesting plot twist that War Monger is Gilad’s sister, does this relate back to the Eternal Warrior mini series from a few years back ...or was that his son and daughter? Can’t recall now :hm:

This issue was an improvement from the mediocre previous issues, let’s see how it ends?

3.75/5
The Eternal Warrior series (not promoted as a mini, but it was only 8 issues) introduced his children, but they haven't been seen again. Prior to Forgotten Queen (and I was assuming originally the title is referring to War Monger, but now I assume they mean the other character), she only appeared in Unity 18-22 (there's a teaser in 18; 19 is first full appearance). If all turns out as is suggested, then that means that Gilad didn't bother to mention this fact at all (on-page, at least) while Unity dealt with her.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Interesting plot twist that War Monger is Gilad’s sister, does this relate back to the Eternal Warrior mini series from a few years back ...or was that his son and daughter? Can’t recall now :hm:

3.75/5
The Eternal Warrior series (not promoted as a mini, but it was only 8 issues) introduced his children, but they haven't been seen again. Prior to Forgotten Queen (and I was assuming originally the title is referring to War Monger, but now I assume they mean the other character), she only appeared in Unity 18-22 (there's a teaser in 18; 19 is first full appearance). If all turns out as is suggested, then that means that Gilad didn't bother to mention this fact at all (on-page, at least) while Unity dealt with her.
Cheers Kj :thumb:

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

kjjohanson wrote:

3.75/5
And that kind of retconning feels a little forced.

I recently read this issue, and enjoyed it quite a bit for the most part. A very fitting choice to have made her the source of Vlad’s madness and all that impaling he did - I like that tie to real-world history, it works really well here.

I don’t entirely like the reinforcing of the rather lame idea that Gilad kept making up “team Unity” over the course of his long history. While it makes sense that he might form up a band of warriors from time to time over the centuries, it’s really tacky to think that he would keep calling each group Unity. I know this was established in War Mongers story arc back in Unity, but I didn’t like it then & I’m still not keen on it now. It’s just that it feels like a modern concept (a named “supergroup” with a one-word name) forcefully applied to past time periods... it’s anachronistic.

And that reveal at the end - again feels a little incongrous & forced. While I can *kind of* buy the idea that maybe Gilad kept it a secret all this time, it really seems like quite a stretch. Assuming he actually knows... if *she* doesn’t know she is related to the immortal brothers, do they? I would be interested in the idea of her being someone else who was also affected by that initial triggering of The Boon device, but not necessarily related to the Anni-Padda’s. After all, we’ve seen so much of their history all the way back to that time with no mention of her... I dunno.

Other than these two elements, I did think the issue was quite good, and War Monger is a far better character now with this much backstory than she was before. I have said it before, I do think the character has some potential in the right hands, and this has been going in the right direction so far.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;