RANDOMLY HOT BOOK: Shadowman #13 (all copies)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Check eBay sales.

This book just sort of took off.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: RANDOMLY HOT BOOK: Shadowman #13 (all copies)

Post by magnus20009 »

Not really random as the Punk Mambo series just came out. I figure she is likely the most important new VEI character, or at least the one with the most potential. Abram Adams is the only other character I think you could make an argument for. Savage was never really developed and Gingrr and Jamie Capshaw are a bit limited, same with Roku. Not even sure who else could be considered.

(Note I do not consider Livewire to be a new character).

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I posted over in the 100 rarest thread, but the 0 issue is selling higher. The one I'm most surprised about is the B cover by Rian Hughes.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pu ... 1&_fosrp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

One high result for Shaowman 16B (Punk mambo cover) as well.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Is there something else going on with this character? Seems like a big jump just because of a new series that everybody knew was coming.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Yeah, I can’t really understand the interest in this character. I’m glad for everyone who is selling, but I see so many other great characters that could be getting more attention.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Holy *SQUEE*, a Valiant book gets some heat and now we’re evaluating whether the increased general interest is really justified or actually misplaced? Punk Mambo 1st apps selling well is awesome in countless ways!

For now, please ignore the fact that my avatar betrays my fondness for this character, and realize that new VEI characters that receive their own title have gone over very well (Divinity, Britannia, Savage,) and indeterminately well (War Mother, Livewire, Forgotten Queen.)

Even those new characters that have made a big splash have not enjoyed sustained interest. And many of us here feel that this is perhaps mostly due to breaks in the publishing schedule (zero follow-up to the Savage mini, Matt Kindt going bye-bye from Divinity for now.)

Here’s to hoping that there will be a Shadowman-related title (SM, PM, Darques, Doc Mirage, etc) continuously running for the foreseeable future. Punk Mambo gathering general and collector’s attention will help the editors to realize that: a sustained push for each classic IP (rotation of minis & “ongoings” with lots of new #1s and the collectible 1:100, 1:250s) will be the best way to sustain and grow interest, and to eek out publishing profits, moving forward.

It’s also what we all want (except those of us who want a continuously numbered title from 1 to infinity, which is impossible since the market will not support it.) So go Punk Mambo, summon more Ebay sales!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

AnarchoMambo wrote:Holy *SQUEE*, a Valiant book gets some heat and now we’re evaluating whether the increased general interest is really justified or actually misplaced? Punk Mambo 1st apps selling well is awesome in countless ways!
I was just wondering if I had missed some kind of movie or TV announcement.

:?

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

depluto wrote:
AnarchoMambo wrote:Holy *SQUEE*, a Valiant book gets some heat and now we’re evaluating whether the increased general interest is really justified or actually misplaced? Punk Mambo 1st apps selling well is awesome in countless ways!
I was just wondering if I had missed some kind of movie or TV announcement.

:?

I’m just not a big fan of the character. :twisted:

That being said I happy for everyone who does like the character though.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Maybe the character has a cameo in the Bloodshot movie. It'd be an odd choice, of all the cameos they could throw in but it might explain the pop.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I think it gained traction because a couple of the spec You Tubers mentioned Punk Mambo #1 on their "This Week's Picks" shows.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

IMJ wrote:I think it gained traction because a couple of the spec You Tubers mentioned Punk Mambo #1 on their "This Week's Picks" shows.
That Brereton cover *is* really nice.

I would like to see a "Dark Valiant" ongoing, which could rotate arcs with Shadowman, Dr. Mirage, Punk Mambo, etc. They could number it like Marvel Legacy numbering, so you have a single ongoing but each arc basically has a number 1. Some Brereton interiors would be cool on that

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I sold both of these on the same day for the same price. Doesn't make much sense to me but I'll take it!

Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Greg and I were just discussing this last week. Harada books are huge right now. I realized that I never picked up a 1st appearance CGC over the years of this book. How that's possible, I don't know.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

kjjohanson wrote:
IMJ wrote:I think it gained traction because a couple of the spec You Tubers mentioned Punk Mambo #1 on their "This Week's Picks" shows.
That Brereton cover *is* really nice.

I would like to see a "Dark Valiant" ongoing, which could rotate arcs with Shadowman, Dr. Mirage, Punk Mambo, etc. They could number it like Marvel Legacy numbering, so you have a single ongoing but each arc basically has a number 1. Some Brereton interiors would be cool on that
Valiant kinda already do that though... I mean, look at Bloodshot as the best example, up until Rising Spirit at least. Shadowman, Britannia and Ninjak have all done the same too though, as has XO. It's all been contiguous despite the varying subtitling.

'Dark Valiant' is a super cool moniker for the 'Shadowman corner' of the VU though :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Would the "Shadowman 13 X" cover that was sent with the Bleeding Cool Magazine #7 technically be the earliest 1st appearance of Punk Mambo?

I'm looking at Greg's Price Guide and it says that it was shipped out Nov. of 2013. This is A FULL MONTH earlier than Shadowman issue 13 covers A, pullbox,1:20. 1:50.

However, Greg's Price Guide does not credit "Shadowman 13 X" as having a Punk Mambo "First Appearance." While, 1st Appearance credit IS given to covers A, pullbox, 1:20, and 1:50.

What am I missing here? Does "Shadowman 13 X" contain the same interior pages as the issue 13 regular and Variants? Are they all the same comic? .... or is "Shadowman 13X" something different with a different story?

If Shadowman 13 X is the same comic as issue 13, and did come out a month prior, couldn't this be the comic to have long term? How many were printed? (I am assuming it would be the same print run as the Bleeding Cool magazine that it was shipped with). Are they rare?.... or did they print a lot?

....and one more question.... why is it called "13 X?" (I get that it may be issue 13... but why "X"?)

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Juki wrote:Would the "Shadowman 13 X" cover that was sent with the Bleeding Cool Magazine #7 technically be the earliest 1st appearance of Punk Mambo?

I'm looking at Greg's Price Guide and it says that it was shipped out Nov. of 2013. This is A FULL MONTH earlier than Shadowman issue 13 covers A, pullbox,1:20. 1:50.

However, Greg's Price Guide does not credit "Shadowman 13 X" as having a Punk Mambo "First Appearance." While, 1st Appearance credit IS given to covers A, pullbox, 1:20, and 1:50.

What am I missing here? Does "Shadowman 13 X" contain the same interior pages as the issue 13 regular and Variants? Are they all the same comic? .... or is "Shadowman 13X" something different with a different story?

If Shadowman 13 X is the same comic as issue 13, and did come out a month prior, couldn't this be the comic to have long term? How many were printed? (I am assuming it would be the same print run as the Bleeding Cool magazine that it was shipped with). Are they rare?.... or did they print a lot?

....and one more question.... why is it called "13 X?" (I get that it may be issue 13... but why "X"?)
13x is a completely different story and takes place between 12 and 13. Punk Mambo does not appear in the story. She first appears in issue 13.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

magnus20009 wrote:
Juki wrote:Would the "Shadowman 13 X" cover that was sent with the Bleeding Cool Magazine #7 technically be the earliest 1st appearance of Punk Mambo?

13x is a completely different story and takes place between 12 and 13. Punk Mambo does not appear in the story. She first appears in issue 13.

Ahhhh... O.K. I see.... Completely different story. So, this one has not been overlooked (no first appearance). It is kind of confusing with the "13 X." I guess it is more like issue #12 1/2.

13 X does have cool looking cover art though. I wonder who did it?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

With this being only a mini series, could we see a just as fast flop as we do see a rise?
Moose

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

I keep an eye on a lot of FB speculation groups and a lot of people are starting to wake up to Valiant and quite a few were talking about Punk Mambo. The lower print run doesn't help much so it was just a matter of time before non-Valiant fans started (late) speccing these books. Not many regular covers are worth more than the price on the book so this is great.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:With this being only a mini series, could we see a just as fast flop as we do see a rise?

That's what I was thinking as well (But, I hope not). Valiant needs good press to get other people interested.

In my eyes it all depends on what characters are actually steadily USED and DEVELOPED in the next 5 years of the Valiant Comics Universe\Movie Universe. Punk Mambo could be main character if she is used after the mini.... or she could be dust in the wind like Savage (hopefully this will change).

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Juki wrote:13 X does have cool looking cover art though. I wonder who did it?
Stephane Perger.

I had to look it up. I'm not familiar with him either but it is a really cool cover.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Juki wrote:
magnus20009 wrote:

Ahhhh... O.K. I see.... Completely different story. So, this one has not been overlooked (no first appearance). It is kind of confusing with the "13 X." I guess it is more like issue #12 1/2.

13 X does have cool looking cover art though. I wonder who did it?
Yes, but some of those are selling to, probably because buyers don't know what they're buying

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Having set out on a quest to get caught up on the last two years of Valiant comics that piled up after I moved, it seems to me that Punk Mambo is one of the most consistently used characters in the universe. So I don't think we need to speculate on whether she'll be used or be left in the dust after her own mini-series. She's already been used a lot! I also have to give credit for her design being simple but memorable. And voodoo and punk imagery are just a visually interesting combination. Face it: Valiant created a new character that may not be a traditional super-hero but may have lasting appeal and significance.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

GammaJosh wrote:Having set out on a quest to get caught up on the last two years of Valiant comics that piled up after I moved, it seems to me that Punk Mambo is one of the most consistently used characters in the universe. So I don't think we need to speculate on whether she'll be used or be left in the dust after her own mini-series. She's already been used a lot! I also have to give credit for her design being simple but memorable. And voodoo and punk imagery are just a visually interesting combination. Face it: Valiant created a new character that may not be a traditional super-hero but may have lasting appeal and significance.
She certainly did make a lot of appearances in other characters books & mini-series since she first appeared up until now. I'm glad she is becoming popular, I enjoy the character more with every appearance she makes. I'm hoping this current mini-series adds something to her story that will have a lasting impression/effect moving forward.

I think she'd be a great character to add in to a future Valiant movie too, if we get any more beyond Bloodshot! Totally agree that there is plenty of good imagery to take advantage of with that punk/voodoo fusion. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;