Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by Chiclo »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Can we stop with the myth that FVL is some sort of great writer :? This was pretty ‘meh’, we’ve got Wolverine + Cyclops + Green Lantern + some other guy ...sooo not great from an originality of powers perspective. Odd how they were able to use the powers with such expertise straight off the bat?

Following on from Secret Weapons, is this Valiant’s template for team books now? White character, black character, Chinese character and a fourth one? Either it’s a weird coincidence or there’s a specific diversity agenda in play? :?

It wasn’t awful but it wasn’t great either, hoping next issue improves.

3/5
Why are you so focused on race? Is it really that surprising that if four people were plucked randomly from the world, this would be the breakdown? I'd put good money on one being Asian and another being from the Indian sub-continent, since that's half the world's population.

Also, I don't recall Owen Cho's heritage ever being mentioned (I just did a re-read of Secret Weapons this past week). Cho is a Korean surname, not Chinese.

I wasn't thrilled with issue #1, but Van Lente's work on A&A is one of my favorite comic runs ever, so I'll stick around for whatever is to come.
If you are looking at population distribution, you have a point about the Asian and Indian Asian persons.

I think the distribution for abductions in a case like this would be more distributed based on the geography of the landmasses, which would be less likely to grab two out of four from Asia. I suppose the abductors could easily put parameters on their abduction for healthy, younger (20s) specimens, but if the abductions were truly random, I would think their closeness in age would be more out of place than any racial demographics.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Can we stop with the myth that FVL is some sort of great writer :? This was pretty ‘meh’, we’ve got Wolverine + Cyclops + Green Lantern + some other guy ...sooo not great from an originality of powers perspective. Odd how they were able to use the powers with such expertise straight off the bat?

Following on from Secret Weapons, is this Valiant’s template for team books now? White character, black character, Chinese character and a fourth one? Either it’s a weird coincidence or there’s a specific diversity agenda in play? :?

3/5
Why are you so focused on race? Is it really that surprising that if four people were plucked randomly from the world, this would be the breakdown? I'd put good money on one being Asian and another being from the Indian sub-continent, since that's half the world's population.

Also, I don't recall Owen Cho's heritage ever being mentioned (I just did a re-read of Secret Weapons this past week). Cho is a Korean surname, not Chinese.

I wasn't thrilled with issue #1, but Van Lente's work on A&A is one of my favorite comic runs ever, so I'll stick around for whatever is to come.
If you are looking at population distribution, you have a point about the Asian and Indian Asian persons.

I think the distribution for abductions in a case like this would be more distributed based on the geography of the landmasses, which would be less likely to grab two out of four from Asia. I suppose the abductors could easily put parameters on their abduction for healthy, younger (20s) specimens, but if the abductions were truly random, I would think their closeness in age would be more out of place than any racial demographics.
Exactly my point :P :lol:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

3/5

Why do you constantly miss the point I’m making and read your own narrative into the things? I’m pointing out what looks like political agenda writing which seems to becoming pervasive in comics right now. I object to the company or writers or editors trying to influence readers politically by having political agendas in the books , which, *sometimes* seems the case. Valiant’s only goal should be to make the best books for the readers and not a) choosing average writers the editors agree with politically or b) preaching to the reader.
And how do you feel you were preached to in this issue? If you're going to complain about the book, then complain about the book.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

3/5

Why do you constantly miss the point I’m making and read your own narrative into the things? I’m pointing out what looks like political agenda writing which seems to becoming pervasive in comics right now. I object to the company or writers or editors trying to influence readers politically by having political agendas in the books , which, *sometimes* seems the case. Valiant’s only goal should be to make the best books for the readers and not a) choosing average writers the editors agree with politically or b) preaching to the reader.
And how do you feel you were preached to in this issue? If you're going to complain about the book, then complain about the book.
Hidden agendas = preaching

How about we just have organic stories with organic characters, telling the best stories possible and not shoe horning in additional stuff.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Make the stories great again! Why not a red hat too?

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

3/5

Hidden agendas = preaching

How about we just have organic stories with organic characters, telling the best stories possible and not shoe horning in additional stuff.
What hidden agenda are you seeing?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

AnarchoMambo wrote:Make the stories great again! Why not a red hat too?
Thats a great meme
I Miss the good old days.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

nonplayer wrote:
Thats a great meme
Sure, why not. Set it next to my other one.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
Thats a great meme
Sure, why not. Set it next to my other one.
:funnypost:

Yeah, bout time the Valiant merch stepped it up a notch! :)

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

I'm a Van Lente fan (War Mother aside). I think he did stick the landing on A&A and Timewalker (and even his Brain Boy series at Dark Horse), so I think he does have a track record of being able to do it.

That said, this issue was a bit of a generic stinker. It was dumb stereotypes and simplistic dialogue. Although I do think the idea that putting four millennial hipsters on the cover is pandering to millennial hipsters in an attempt to gain that reader base. That's giving VEI editorial and marketing way more credit for thinking this through then they deserve. And a bit more conspiratorial "liberal media agenda" plotting than I can stomach.

Back to the book, I think the artwork is fun at times and unclear at times. Particularly when it's pointed out that they all have marks on their heads, which I swear we couldn't see clearly in any panel.

I was intrigued by Psion (sp?) sporting the old school VH1 Starwatchers uniform (which no one seems to have mentioned).

Still... It's a very timid 2.5/5 with the hopes that there is an actual story coming soon.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote:I'm a Van Lente fan (War Mother aside). I think he did stick the landing on A&A and Timewalker (and even his Brain Boy series at Dark Horse), so I think he does have a track record of being able to do it.

That said, this issue was a bit of a generic stinker. It was dumb stereotypes and simplistic dialogue. Although I do think the idea that putting four millennial hipsters on the cover is pandering to millennial hipsters in an attempt to gain that reader base. That's giving VEI editorial and marketing way more credit for thinking this through then they deserve. And a bit more conspiratorial "liberal media agenda" plotting than I can stomach.

Back to the book, I think the artwork is fun at times and unclear at times. Particularly when it's pointed out that they all have marks on their heads, which I swear we couldn't see clearly in any panel.

I was intrigued by Psion (sp?) sporting the old school VH1 Starwatchers uniform (which no one seems to have mentioned).

Still... It's a very timid 2.5/5 with the hopes that there is an actual story coming soon.
Gen zero...?

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:I'm a Van Lente fan (War Mother aside). I think he did stick the landing on A&A and Timewalker (and even his Brain Boy series at Dark Horse), so I think he does have a track record of being able to do it.

Gen zero...?
I left it out because a) I don't really remember it beyond liking the first couple issues and b) assumed it was canned early by editorial and no writer gets the opportunity to stick a landing when that happens.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Gen zero...?
I left it out because a) I don't really remember it beyond liking the first couple issues and b) assumed it was canned early by editorial and no writer gets the opportunity to stick a landing when that happens.
I thought it lasted for about 9 issues...maybe it just felt longer than it actually was :)

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Gen zero...?
I thought it lasted for about 9 issues...maybe it just felt longer than it actually was :)
It did last 9 issues, but it was an abrupt end believed to be caused by editorial. DBS noted the same in the podcast, believing it was originally intended for at least 12 issues.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:...and here it is:

VCR No. 210: Psi-Lords #1 (and Livewire #7)

Click... ...listen... ...yup, that’s about it! :lol:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr210/
DBS great addition to the VCR podcast :thumb:

Totally agree with the points around Gen Zero being committee thinking at its worst and that being Valiant’s attempt at pandering to a demographic that just doesn’t buy the product.

Softy gave this book 4/5...didn’t he score Fallen World 3.5/5? :?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Softy gave this book 4/5...didn’t he score Fallen World 3.5/5? :?
:o

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Psy-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Jace wrote:It's a tough one because the potential is there. I want it to be good and we all know Fred Van Lente is a tremendous storyteller. I guess we will have to see.
Is he though? :? He has some good concepts but the delivery is consistently goofy/poor/throwaway. With the exception of LOTG I don’t know why he’s rated so highly by some fans? A&A wasn’t that good, Timewalker mediocre, War Mother mediocre, Generation Zero poor. Doesn’t sound like this book is what we’d hoped for. I’ll still check it out but my expectations are on the DL!
A&A is amazing, hilarious, and has genuinely great character work. 5/5
Timewalker is beautiful, smart, and fun. 5/5
The War Mother one-shot was engaging, unique, and creative. 5/5
Legend of the Geomancer- Not my cup of tea, but generally a good story. 3.5/5
The War Mother mini was... kind of dull and flat, honestly. 3/5
Generation Zero sucked. 2/5

Just thought I'd throw my opinion in there since you seem to have this belief that no one ever liked Van Lente.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

I gotta say, I agree with Travis. I thought this issue was fine, and I'm excited to see what happens next. I agree with all of the complaints, however. The dialogue was a bit lackluster, with some cringeworthy lines for sure, but I think you get a pretty good feel for the characters' personalities. I honestly feel like the overly simple characters were put their for a reason. I'm not entirely convinced that the main characters' lack of depth wasn't intentional. I mean, for god's sake, they didn't even have names. I get the feeling that there's more going on here, and we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. Also, while I'm really not a fan of Guedes, I genuinely thought this was his best work for Valiant.

That said, I'm wary. I'll be giving it an arc to really wow me, but this is literally the same thought process I had going into Gen. Zero as well, and that turned out like crap. Mostly, I'm just along for the ride, and hoping that they have something interesting up their sleeves.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Jace wrote:It's a tough one because the potential is there. I want it to be good and we all know Fred Van Lente is a tremendous storyteller. I guess we will have to see.
Is he though? :? He has some good concepts but the delivery is consistently goofy/poor/throwaway. With the exception of LOTG I don’t know why he’s rated so highly by some fans? A&A wasn’t that good, Timewalker mediocre, War Mother mediocre, Generation Zero poor. Doesn’t sound like this book is what we’d hoped for. I’ll still check it out but my expectations are on the DL!
A&A is amazing, hilarious, and has genuinely great character work. 5/5
Timewalker is beautiful, smart, and fun. 5/5
The War Mother one-shot was engaging, unique, and creative. 5/5
Legend of the Geomancer- Not my cup of tea, but generally a good story. 3.5/5
The War Mother mini was... kind of dull and flat, honestly. 3/5
Generation Zero sucked. 2/5

Just thought I'd throw my opinion in there since you seem to have this belief that no one ever liked Van Lente.
I think TOO MANY Valiant fans have an inflated view of FVL books! I’m trying to wake people up, “He’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy” :lol:

A&A 3.5/5 - Armstrong getting 2 arrows in is eyes, throwing trees at airplanes and generally his power set changing to suit whatever in the moment gag FVL wanted to write
Timewalker 3/5 can barely remember the storylines
LOTG 4.5/5 his best work
War Mother inc the mini 2.5/5 Good concept ruined by have the talking gun like a goofy teenager
Gen Zero 2/5 car crash from start to finish

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: I think TOO MANY Valiant fans have an inflated view of FVL books! I’m trying to wake people up, “He’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy” :lol:
Well I fully agree that he's not the messiah, but I've really enjoyed (most of) his work at Valiant.
A&A 3.5/5 - Armstrong getting 2 arrows in is eyes, throwing trees at airplanes and generally his power set changing to suit whatever in the moment gag FVL wanted to write
Armstrong is very strong and nearly invulnerable. What's the issue? I thought the eye gag was funny... :?
Timewalker 3/5 can barely remember the storylines
That's not anyone's fault but yours. I find it pretty easy. Honestly, I found the structure and pacing of the series to be a high point. (1. Ivar and Neela don't kill Hitler, 2. the Anni-Padda Bros. go on a space adventure, 3. time hijinx with Ankh)
War Mother inc the mini 2.5/5 Good concept ruined by have the talking gun like a goofy teenager
Nah, the goofy talking gun, and his relationship with Ana was the best part.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

3/5

Dinesh Valiant had foward looking politics that aged well:

Anti Military Industrial complex. They cannot start an another big war, Trump could cut their budget and get away with it. Good call there.

There was some rich bashing. I would say Right an d Left are more fine with it now than they would had been in 2012.

Besides that there was not much politics that came down on anyone's side clearly.

I hope Dinesh will be back by an act of God.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Sven the Returned wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

3/5

Dinesh Valiant had foward looking politics that aged well:

Anti Military Industrial complex. They cannot start an another big war, Trump could cut their budget and get away with it. Good call there.

There was some rich bashing. I would say Right an d Left are more fine with it now than they would had been in 2012.

Besides that there was not much politics that came down on anyone's side clearly.

I hope Dinesh will be back by an act of God.
Aside from the Hilary cover :oops:

But yes I’d love it if Dinesen came back too !

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
What about giving Archer every psiot power ever, how lame was that?

If you compare classic Archer to FVL's version it pales in comparison, he never did have a good grasp of that character and he's just been reduced to a straight man to Armstrong's lame frat boy humor.

FVL is a mediocre writer at best, he has no vision, he's a jobber who will write anything for a check.

I think that's why Psi-Lords is the way it is, he pitched it to appeal to the young editors because that's what gets him the check.

He doesn't care about the readers or the universe as a whole or if the books do well, he just wants the check and once he gets it he DGAF.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
What about giving Archer every psiot power ever, how lame was that?

If you compare classic Archer to FVL's version it pales in comparison, he never did have a good grasp of that character and he's just been reduced to a straight man to Armstrong's lame frat boy humor.

FVL is a mediocre writer at best, he has no vision, he's a jobber who will write anything for a check.

I think that's why Psi-Lords is the way it is, he pitched it to appeal to the young editors because that's what gets him the check.

He doesn't care about the readers or the universe as a whole or if the books do well, he just wants the check and once he gets it he DGAF.
Totally agree !

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Fred Van Lente wrote Magnus for Dynamite when they relaunched the Gold Key titles. He helped a flim-flam man, Nick Barucci, try to counterfeit Valiant. I hope Nicky B feels like he grifted his dollars' worth from Fred Van Lente.

It is sad that they let him back at Valiant. He is not even exceptional amongst traitors.