Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Holy groupthink! Attempting to grasp the purported access to insider information, and follow the wandering logic of these last few posts.

Since you’ll probably ask, I will say that I love A&a 2012. It was hilarious. And I loved the Ivar series too. And I think Neela is a great new character. Credit goes to Van Lente for all that, correct? Read them both in 2016 for the first time. Didn’t read Magnus, sorry. Haven’t read Psi-Lords 1 yet either, but should get to it soon.

Also love the Comic Book History of Comics. And Action Philosophers. Branch out a bit, you guys. Learn about the history of comics and even philosophy in Fred’s fun way.

I will re-read Gen Zero and War Mother and get back to you, cool?
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

AnarchoMambo wrote:Holy groupthink! Attempting to grasp the purported access to inside information, and follow the wandering logic of these last few posts.

Since you’ll probably ask, I will say that I love A&a 2012. It was hilarious. And I loved Ivar too. And I think Neela is a great new character. Credit goes to Van Lente, correct? Read them both in 2016 for the first time. Didn’t read Magnus, sorry. Haven’t read Psi-Lords 1 yet either, but should get to it soon
I’ve no doubt you’ll love it!

AnarchoMambo
Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Well thanks for the great recommendation, then!

I just had to pipe up when I read flippant talk about “traitors” and the paranoid group dreams of letting writers “back in” and whatnot. Like comics writers are mercenaries or something. Go ahead, there are always several about who enjoy that kind of thing and are ready to chime in.

Maybe pick up Comic Book History of Comics if you like to read other stuff.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
AnarchoMambo wrote:Holy groupthink! Attempting to grasp the purported access to inside information, and follow the wandering logic of these last few posts.

Since you’ll probably ask, I will say that I love A&a 2012. It was hilarious. And I loved Ivar too. And I think Neela is a great new character. Credit goes to Van Lente, correct? Read them both in 2016 for the first time. Didn’t read Magnus, sorry. Haven’t read Psi-Lords 1 yet either, but should get to it soon
I’ve no doubt you’ll love it!
Especially the last issue....

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

AnarchoMambo wrote:Well thanks for the great recommendation, then!

I just had to pipe up when I read flippant talk about “traitors” and the paranoid group dreams of letting writers “back in” and whatnot. Like comics writers are mercenaries or something. Go ahead, there are always several about who enjoy that kind of thing and are ready to chime in.

Maybe pick up Comic Book History of Comics if you like to read other stuff.
Maybe pick up the issue that this discussion thread is about.

Chiclo may be many things but "flippant" is definitely not one of them.

AnarchoMambo
Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by AnarchoMambo »

The last eighteen posts or so were not “about” Psi-Lords at all. Take a look. The thread had taken a turn towards how Archer & Armstrong 2012 sucked, ostensibly because of Armstrong’s regenerative capacity and superhuman strength, it appears. I loved that series and Ivar, and said so. The thread also was beginning to explore the said writer’s complicity in a supposed conspiracy to prop up Dynamite and bring down Valiant. I know nothing about that, but thought it preposterous, and said so. Incidentally, the word “flippant” was not used to describe a person, but rather some vague insinuation that was being made, I’m sure you would agree. Then I made a couple of suggestions for the writer’s work outside of Valiant that I’ve really enjoyed, and might just broaden some horizons. No problem if you guys don’t follow that lead though. Enjoyable thread overall, so thanks!
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

AnarchoMambo wrote:The last eighteen posts or so were not “about” Psi-Lords at all. Take a look. The thread had taken a turn towards how Archer & Armstrong 2012 sucked, ostensibly because of Armstrong’s regenerative capacity and superhuman strength, it appears. I loved that series and Ivar, and said so. The thread also was beginning to explore the said writer’s complicity in a supposed conspiracy to prop up Dynamite (sucks!) and bring down Valiant. I know nothing about that, but thought it preposterous, and said so. Then I made a couple of suggestions for the writer’s work outside of Valiant that I’ve really enjoyed, and might just broaden some horizons. No problem if you guys don’t follow that lead though. Enjoyable thread overall, so thanks!

Notice how "sucks" is automatically added when you type Dynamite on this board? There is some history there.

It's all good Josh, we're cool 8-)

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Psy-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by TheFerg714 »

hawkeyeps wrote:What about giving Archer every psiot power ever, how lame was that?

If you compare classic Archer to FVL's version it pales in comparison, he never did have a good grasp of that character and he's just been reduced to a straight man to Armstrong's lame frat boy humor.
All I see here is people being salty about a reboot changing a few things from the original. If a "straight man" is literally all you see when you see Archer, I'm afraid we must have read different books.
FVL is a mediocre writer at best, he has no vision, he's a jobber who will write anything for a check.

I think that's why Psi-Lords is the way it is, he pitched it to appeal to the young editors because that's what gets him the check.

He doesn't care about the readers or the universe as a whole or if the books do well, he just wants the check and once he gets it he DGAF.
I think Gen. Zero was hot garbage, but I think you're being crazy harsh. If you don't like his writing, that's cool, but it seems a little ridiculous to jump all the way to thinking he just doesn't give a *SQUEE*.
Chiclo wrote:Fred Van Lente wrote Magnus for Dynamite (sucks!) when they relaunched the Gold Key titles. He helped a flim-flam man, Nick Barucci, try to counterfeit Valiant. I hope Nicky B feels like he grifted his dollars' worth from Fred Van Lente.

It is sad that they let him back at Valiant. He is not even exceptional amongst traitors.
Oh come on, traitor? Dynamite wanted a Magnus book, they hired Van Lente to write it because they were aiming for a style similar to VEI. What's so wrong about that?

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

AnarchoMambo wrote:Holy groupthink! Attempting to grasp the purported access to insider information, and follow the wandering logic of these last few posts.

Since you’ll probably ask, I will say that I love A&a 2012. It was hilarious. And I loved the Ivar series too. And I think Neela is a great new character. Credit goes to Van Lente for all that, correct? Read them both in 2016 for the first time. Didn’t read Magnus, sorry. Haven’t read Psi-Lords 1 yet either, but should get to it soon.

Also love the Comic Book History of Comics. And Action Philosophers. Branch out a bit, you guys. Learn about the history of comics and even philosophy in Fred’s fun way.

I will re-read Gen Zero and War Mother and get back to you, cool?
I would really recommend Van Lente and Pak's run on Hercules as well. When I first started reading A&A it reminded me a lot of that. My guess is that there were some stories that they never got around to telling which (good for Valiant!) were adapted for A&A
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:Fred Van Lente wrote Magnus for Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) when they relaunched the Gold Key titles. He helped a flim-flam man, Nick Barucci, try to counterfeit Valiant. I hope Nicky B feels like he grifted his dollars' worth from Fred Van Lente.

It is sad that they let him back at Valiant. He is not even exceptional amongst traitors.
Oh come on, traitor? Dynamite (sucks!) wanted a Magnus book, they hired Van Lente to write it because they were aiming for a style similar to VEI. What's so wrong about that?
In 2014, Dynamite Entertainment tried to turn a quick buck on Valiant. They licensed the Gold Key characters and put out titles that were known Valiant properties in the 90s. The trade dress that Dynamite used for these books, and only these books, looked very similar to the VEI Valiant comics. All the better if they can hire away one of the Valiant writers!

This was not the first time Dynamite tried to turn a quick buck on Valiant. Dynamite was behind a venture called VIP, which tried to game IP laws (Nicky B's specialty... well, that and back-alley dice games) to ends that were never made public. The Valiant characters were sold at auction to Dinesh and Kothari and shortly afterward, VIP announced that they were doing something with these characters that they had not bought, only filed a claim on their names. VIP only published one ashcan, limited to 100, basically just a bunch of hideous Jae Lee sketches, and VIP tried to insert itself as a partner and make a quick buck from the honest work that Dinesh and co. had put together.

The (tr)ashcan debacle brought on a lot of bad blood between Valiant and Dynamite. Sadly, these new kids running the company don't know that history.

Some threads about the VIP (tr)Ashcan (but a few of many) -
Discovery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=16143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

newsarama article about the (tr)Ashcan -
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=16192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The happy ending/Valiant IP fight over -
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=18840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was on the wrong side of history. In the 2008-10 timeframe, I was very critical of Dinesh and co. I am glad to say that he proved me wrong, and he proved worthy of my faith in him after I beat him at Valiant trivia that one time. There was even a time that I liked Dynamite. But my differences with these people at Dynamite is a very personal matter, even if it isn't personal against Fred Van Lente - except the part about him not writing good comics, that is my honest assessment of him as a comic book writer.

I do have several copies of the (tr)Ashcan. Even one labeled as 100/100, if such numbers can be trusted as accurate and unique.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I loved Archer & Armstrong (2012) until the Bloodshot crossover. There were a few decent stories between #21-24.

I loved Timewalker, and own several covers and pages from that series.

Gen Zero missed the mark by quite a bit.

Psi-Lords is pretty rough.

AnarchoMambo
Psi-Lords #1 Discussion

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Chiclo wrote:VIP only published one ashcan, limited to 100, basically just a bunch of hideous Jae Lee sketches.
That’s a cool summary of the history, and as one of the living witnesses, so cool to read your first-hand perspective.

I have to apologize for continuing to take this thread off-topic, but coincidentally I noticed this just this morning on EBay. The store who commissioned the exclusive bills this as the first Jae Lee work for Valiant. Technically true, right?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Never apologize for taking a thread off-topic.

That is interesting, about that being advertised as the first Jae Lee work for Valiant. I don't think anyone involved could officially come out and confirm that it was Jae Lee that did those sketches in the VIP ashcan, something to do with a non-disclosure agreement. But, I remember somebody saying that Jae Lee himself confirmed that those sketches were his. I wonder if he would have ever gotten work had Dino remained with Valiant? We'll never know, I suppose. One thing about Dino, he was pretty good about putting personal feelings aside for the sake of making a better product.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Chiclo wrote:Never apologize for taking a thread off-topic.

That is interesting, about that being advertised as the first Jae Lee work for Valiant. I don't think anyone involved could officially come out and confirm that it was Jae Lee that did those sketches in the VIP ashcan, something to do with a non-disclosure agreement. But, I remember somebody saying that Jae Lee himself confirmed that those sketches were his. I wonder if he would have ever gotten work had Dino remained with Valiant? We'll never know, I suppose. One thing about Dino, he was pretty good about putting personal feelings aside for the sake of making a better product.
Wasn't Dinesh trying to work out a crossover with Dynamite rather late in his tenure?

Either way, I don't think it's fair to criticize the creative talent for taking on a job.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Just read it. It's really kind of a point blank opening lacking any nuance. "And here's Strong Guy and LaserFace!"

But in Fred's defense, maybe he just wants to get the ball rolling quickly so we can move onto a meatier story.

Some of the dialogue is cheesy... "Wait'll they get a load of us!" facepalm Liked the art.

I did notice the head tats right away, that's the symbol sitting atop the Azure Citadel from the Kindt X-O run. Are the captors the Monomen, perhaps?

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

AnarchoMambo wrote:
Chiclo wrote:VIP only published one ashcan, limited to 100, basically just a bunch of hideous Jae Lee sketches.
That’s a cool summary of the history, and as one of the living witnesses, so cool to read your first-hand perspective.

I have to apologize for continuing to take this thread off-topic, but coincidentally I noticed this just this morning on EBay. The store who commissioned the exclusive bills this as the first Jae Lee work for Valiant. Technically true, right?

That looks amazing.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:.

I did notice the head tats right away, that's the symbol sitting atop the Azure Citadel from the Kindt X-O run. Are the captors the Monomen, perhaps?
Good catch!!!

mramsterdam

Post by mramsterdam »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I loved Archer & Armstrong (2012) until the Bloodshot crossover. There were a few decent stories between #21-24.

I loved Timewalker, and own several covers and pages from that series.

Gen Zero missed the mark by quite a bit.

Psi-Lords is pretty rough.
This is basically how i feel.
VEIs Timewalker series better than the original besides the Harbinger War storyline.
Gen zero was doomed from the start unless Dysart would have wrote it.
I-Only judge porn by the cover.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Chiclo wrote: In 2014, Dynamite (sucks!) Entertainment tried to turn a quick buck on Valiant. They licensed the Gold Key characters and put out titles that were known Valiant properties in the 90s. The trade dress that Dynamite (sucks!) used for these books, and only these books, looked very similar to the VEI Valiant comics. All the better if they can hire away one of the Valiant writers!

This was not the first time Dynamite (sucks!) tried to turn a quick buck on Valiant. Dynamite (sucks!) was behind a venture called VIP, which tried to game IP laws (Nicky B's specialty... well, that and back-alley dice games) to ends that were never made public. The Valiant characters were sold at auction to Dinesh and Kothari and shortly afterward, VIP announced that they were doing something with these characters that they had not bought, only filed a claim on their names. VIP only published one ashcan, limited to 100, basically just a bunch of hideous Jae Lee sketches, and VIP tried to insert itself as a partner and make a quick buck from the honest work that Dinesh and co. had put together.

The (tr)ashcan debacle brought on a lot of bad blood between Valiant and Dynamite (sucks!). Sadly, these new kids running the company don't know that history.

Some threads about the VIP (tr)Ashcan (but a few of many) -
Discovery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=16143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

newsarama article about the (tr)Ashcan -
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=16192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The happy ending/Valiant IP fight over -
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=18840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was on the wrong side of history. In the 2008-10 timeframe, I was very critical of Dinesh and co. I am glad to say that he proved me wrong, and he proved worthy of my faith in him after I beat him at Valiant trivia that one time. There was even a time that I liked Dynamite (sucks!). But my differences with these people at Dynamite (sucks!) is a very personal matter, even if it isn't personal against Fred Van Lente - except the part about him not writing good comics, that is my honest assessment of him as a comic book writer.

I do have several copies of the (tr)Ashcan. Even one labeled as 100/100, if such numbers can be trusted as accurate and unique.
Okay, I didn't know this information. Thanks for filling me in.

mramsterdam

Post by mramsterdam »

Back to the story,it only took me like 10 minutes to read.This is only the first issue and hopefully bloodshot shows up to make the story interesting.Could the aliens be vine descendents and the four of them be plantings?If bloodshot isn't in the series i will call it the worst Valiant comic series ever.Looking forward to the russian getting beat like the red headed stepchild!These have got to be the most amazingly awkward group of astronauts i have ever seen in my life.I wonder if papi would say si or no to it being interesting?He says si to everything on ESPNs highly questionable.
I-Only judge porn by the cover.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Thank you. That's the best post I've read here.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:...and here it is:

VCR No. 210: Psi-Lords #1 (and Livewire #7)

Click... ...listen... ...yup, that’s about it! :lol:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr210/
DBS great addition to the VCR podcast :thumb:

Totally agree with the points around Gen Zero being committee thinking at its worst and that being Valiant’s attempt at pandering to a demographic that just doesn’t buy the product.

Softy gave this book 4/5...didn’t he score Fallen World 3.5/5? :?
I don’t think I was on this episode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

KXXX wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:...and here it is:

VCR No. 210: Psi-Lords #1 (and Livewire #7)

Click... ...listen... ...yup, that’s about it! :lol:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr210/
DBS great addition to the VCR podcast :thumb:

Totally agree with the points around Gen Zero being committee thinking at its worst and that being Valiant’s attempt at pandering to a demographic that just doesn’t buy the product.

Softy gave this book 4/5...didn’t he score Fallen World 3.5/5? :?
I don’t think I was on this episode

No you weren't, how many taimos Softy?

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

2.75/5 Jeff Bridges Taimos

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

You are all using (enter)taimos incorrectly.