Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #8 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

VCR Episode 211:

Prepare yourself for an episode of pure magic! :rant:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr211/

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #8 Discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

it started with this half-@$$ed cover art (what is happening to his left arm?!?!) and just goes further downhill from there.

"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

This is DMG'S best title. And probably the best issue since 2012. I cant wait to own all the varients and get signed copies. Also the art on the cover is wicked see how that arm is drawn maybe I can get some original art said nobody ever. *SQUEE* dmg
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Thank god this is over.

Gotta disagree with the VCR boys, this IMO is the worst series put out by VEI. Dead Drop had Adam Gorham art at least! Harbinger Wars 2 was probably the most disappointing but that’s because expectations were so high.

One (and only) bright spot in this issue was the second artist, thought he did a good job.

Valiant editorial dropped the ball big time with this series. In the year leading up to release of the Bloodshot film they should have went all out with big name writer and artists and got as much eyes on the character as possible. The first issue was apparently a huge seller which is a curse if anything as this series will not make any new fans and if anything hurt the brand.

1/5 :!:

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

The first issue wasn't a big seller. It was a big pre-order to get the 1:250 glass variant. Which I believe Valiant made the regular issues returnable. No one was actually buying this any more than they were buying previous Bloodshot books. DMG just made a terrible loss leading business decision in order to claim huge "sales."
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

nonplayer wrote:This is DMG'S best title. And probably the best issue since 2012. I cant wait to own all the varients and get signed copies. Also the art on the cover is wicked see how that arm is drawn maybe I can get some original art said nobody ever. *SQUEE* dmg
So what is your favourite title at the moment? Maybe you should find another publisher to read, because you don't read anything Valiant published, but you *SQUEE* all over everything being released. How about you read them and form your own views? Oh, and it looks like Valiant will be around for a little while longer, much to your disappointment.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I think it's very telling that there is no trade paperback collection of this series on the horizon. Surely a first for NuValiant, LotG aside.

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I think it's very telling that there is no trade paperback collection of this series on the horizon. Surely a first for NuValiant, LotG aside.
Whats the usual time frame from last issue to Trade paperback?

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

There's usually a placeholder on Amazon that goes out about 6 months. The new series by Tim Seeley is already up for pre-order but no sign of Rising Spirit. Now, only the Diamond solicitations truly matter but advance solicitations via the bookstore market are very telling. Sometimes things get cancelled and sometimes things materialize 2-months out when the Diamond solicitations drop but Valiant has been pretty consistent. I can't recall the last time there was a book that didn't have a placeholder. Especially when the following volume is already showing up.

Edit: If you search Amazon books using "Valiant Entertainment" then sort by "Newest Arrivals" it will show you a list in order of all their upcoming books with the latest at the top.

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:There's usually a placeholder on Amazon that goes out about 6 months. The new series by Tim Seeley is already up for pre-order but no sign of Rising Spirit. Now, only the Diamond solicitations truly matter but advance solicitations via the bookstore market are very telling. Sometimes things get cancelled and sometimes things materialize 2-months out when the Diamond solicitations drop but Valiant has been pretty consistent. I can't recall the last time there was a book that didn't have a placeholder. Especially when the following volume is already showing up.

Edit: If you search Amazon books using "Valiant Entertainment" then sort by "Newest Arrivals" it will show you a list in order of all their upcoming books with the latest at the top.
Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of that. :D

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

No problem. It's an easy way to keep an eye on what's coming up. Also, Amazon usually gets Valiant trades a few weeks after the direct market local comic book stores do. Just something else to keep in mind.

The lack of Rising Spirit stuck out like a sore thumb to me last time I checked.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Now, only the Diamond solicitations truly matter...
Punk Mambo and LaDoTH, which both have two issues to go, already have their trade solicited through Diamond. Still no Rising Spirit.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:This is DMG'S best title. And probably the best issue since 2012. I cant wait to own all the varients and get signed copies. Also the art on the cover is wicked see how that arm is drawn maybe I can get some original art said nobody ever. *SQUEE* dmg
So what is your favourite title at the moment? Maybe you should find another publisher to read, because you don't read anything Valiant published, but you *SQUEE* all over everything being released. How about you read them and form your own views? Oh, and it looks like Valiant will be around for a little while longer, much to your disappointment.
Ha you put words in my mouth.
My favorite titles are xo Bloodshot not including rising spirit. Savage was a good mini. Harbinger has been great through its different titles. I enjoyed wrath alot. Armor hunters. Divinity1-2 the Valiant, unity was great except the war monger arc. If they didnt cancel my titles Id still be getting them. Im not buying for valiant sakes. They need to put out stuff I wann invest in.
The only other comic I get thats not Valiant is the walking dead.

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Nonplayer you don't have anything to prove. Like what you like, who care's if other people get weird about it. Literally no one in this thread likes this crummy book, nor should they.
As for VCR's question if this is the worst Valiant (since 12012) has to offer. I'd say it's up there. For me personally the worst of Valiant is:

Dead Drop (3rd issue is gold though! On the whole it's easy to ignore, but really what where they thinking when they approved this?!)

HW2 (Prelude issue is a great continuation of Secret Weapons! Otherwise a complete POS train wreck. Has nothing to do with anything, almost feels out of continuity. A complete clusterf*** of poor storytelling and goofy art. Terrible direction and even worse execution. Bush league.)

Shadowman: End Times (Terrible art and questionable direction took the character off the playing field for far too long. These 3 measly issues ruined a character for quite some time.)

Harbinger: Renegade (Pointless, confusing meandering mess that introduced a bunch of threads that have gone nowhere. Took all the Renegades off the playing field and are still MIA.)

Ninjak VS (This is the worst IMO, it's the opposite of what Valiant should be. Cynical, gimmicky dumbed-down comics meant only as an advertisement for something that VEI couldn't even support.)

Bloodshot: Rising Spirit (Similar to Ninjak VS. An incredibly dumbed down series with poor art. Seems to be mostly out of continuity and meant to be for the masses. Easy to ignore. Why do they think the masses will only read completely inept books? Valiant editorial needs to try harder and respect their potential readers.)

Everything else I've at least liked and most of it I loved. Even stuff like Lafuente's A+A, Davey the Mackerel, Bootleg A+A, Faith, Valiant High, etc. Those might not be what we want to see every month as Valiant fans but they were at least consistent and told a story with a beginning, middle and end. Even the end of Unity and Gen 0 wasn't that bad, although Kindt's X-O run comes close.

Up till this point I've gotten everything including the A+A bootlegs, Faith's Boobies PSA and LotG. I am however taking a hard pass on most of the titles going forward. Livewire, Forgotten Queen, Punk Mambo, Psi-Lords (ugh) and KIllers just do not interest me. And that's ok. Although if I was a Valiant editor reading this forum I'd wonder real hard how someone goes from getting everything to passing on most of the current offerings. Instead of denigrating the quality of those books I will just say they aren't for me, they all look rather directionless and lackluster. Which is a shame because I really like Livewire and Punk Mambo as characters. But, they shouldn't have books if they don't have an actual story to tell!

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

nonplayer wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
My favorite titles are xo Bloodshot not including rising spirit. Savage was a good mini. Harbinger has been great through its different titles. I enjoyed wrath alot. Armor hunters. Divinity1-2 the Valiant, unity was great except the war monger arc. If they didnt cancel my titles Id still be getting them. Im not buying for valiant sakes. They need to put out stuff I wann invest in.
Riiiiight, so you don't read any of the books, but still happy to offer an opinion on how bad they are. They make a lot of sense. Like hating a movie but never watching it. So your opinion is irrelevant. At least that's been cleared up.
I understand if you don't want to buy the titles being released, but to continually be a smart arse about books you haven't read just makes you a flog.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
Riiiiight, so you don't read any of the books, but still happy to offer an opinion on how bad they are. They make a lot of sense. Like hating a movie but never watching it. So your opinion is irrelevant. At least that's been cleared up.
I understand if you don't want to buy the titles being released, but to continually be a smart arse about books you haven't read just makes you a flog.
I always like reading nonplayer's posts, he's a true fan who gives his opinion straight. It would be a shame if more good posters get chased off by people who can't handle a dissenting opinion. Fact is these comics are beyond terrible and people who support this dreck are complicit in the ongoing destruction and smearing of the characters and brand we love IMO

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Ryan wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
I always like reading nonplayer's posts, he's a true fan who gives his opinion straight. It would be a shame if more good posters get chased off by people who can't handle a dissenting opinion. Fact is these comics are beyond terrible and people who support this dreck are complicit in the ongoing destruction and smearing of the characters and brand we love IMO
I hear ya, but I think The Chosen 1 hit the nail on the head, he's nothing more than a troll. Offering opinions on books he's repeatedly stated that he DOESN'T read, and refuses to buy. Where is he getting his opinion? He re-hashes his old tired rhetoric regarding DMG, but has yet to read any of those books. How is he a fan? How can his opinion count? Old Valiant is never coming back, NEVER! More than likely, Dinesh is out of publishing comics all together. He's found a new vein, turning comics into shows/movies, and it pays more!

He's the old man sitting on his front porch screaming at people as they go by.

No context in his yelling, just yelling because time has passed him by
Moose

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Ryan wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
I hear ya, but I think The Chosen 1 hit the nail on the head, he's nothing more than a troll. Offering opinions on books he's repeatedly stated that he DOESN'T read, and refuses to buy. Where is he getting his opinion? He re-hashes his old tired rhetoric regarding DMG, but has yet to read any of those books. How is he a fan? How can his opinion count? Old Valiant is never coming back, NEVER! More than likely, Dinesh is out of publishing comics all together. He's found a new vein, turning comics into shows/movies, and it pays more!

I ran mutable fan projects and give aways gave away art and spend my money to advertise valiant. Just because I dont buy into sjw bs and charaters I dont care about doesnt make me a non fan. The way I see it Im loyal to runs not minies Im also loyal to charaters that thrill me. I am also loyal to my friends. And I regrest thinking you were a friend and so meny more and giving away free stuff out of my own low income pocket and your *SQUEE* on me because I dont buy what I dont like screw you Moose.
I value Vcr and their opinions and for years the reviewed comics Ive bought and our opinions are parallel and When they review something I can bet dollars to donuts I will feel the same. Dead drop is a perfect example. So glad I didnt jump on the band wagon.
And what you call a troll is your own reaction to hearing things Ive said that you dont agree with. Tough beans if you dont like fredom of speach get a sex change and go to bagdad.
Valiant is Dmg now its not what it was just like valiant before 2012 is not what it was. And thats why Im not suporting their crap. If they put out something I want to get I will. Cant wait for the new bloodshot series and xo.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

How about we all take it down a notch, let’s not let things get heavy eh fellas? After all, comics is supposed to be a bit of fun. I know we all get invested in the characters and company but there’s a line. :thumb:

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I can vouch for nonplayer he is an OG fan. I think you even won one of his contests Moose and I sent you a Riley Rossmo sketch cover colored by Dave Baron.

He may not be the most eloquent but he is a true Valiant fan and very passionate about the books.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

quote="TheeBaldMoose"]
Ryan wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:

I ran mutable fan projects and give aways gave away art and spend my money to advertise valiant. Just because I dont buy into sjw bs and charaters I dont care about doesnt make me a non fan. The way I see it Im loyal to runs not minies Im also loyal to charaters that thrill me. I am also loyal to my friends. And I regrest thinking you were a friend and so meny more and giving away free stuff out of my own low income pocket and your *SQUEE* on me because I dont buy what I dont like screw you Moose.
I value Vcr and their opinions and for years the reviewed comics Ive bought and our opinions are parallel and When they review something I can bet dollars to donuts I will feel the same. Dead drop is a perfect example. So glad I didnt jump on the band wagon.
And what you call a troll is your own reaction to hearing things Ive said that you dont agree with. Tough beans if you dont like fredom of speach get a sex change and go to bagdad.
Valiant is Dmg now its not what it was just like valiant before 2012 is not what it was. And thats why Im not suporting their crap. If they put out something I want to get I will. Cant wait for the new bloodshot series and xo.[/quote]

Man, you "use-ta ran" is big in your vocab, but what have you done to back up any statement you've made regarding any book that you've crapped on? If you would have read these books, and crapped on them, then I wouldn't have a beef with you (there's your friggin "freedom of speech"), but you don't know a single thing about these books. I'm sick of you crapping on stuff you have zero knowledge about. It's not just this book, it seems to be every book! I can say I've read them, I am allowed to comment, because I know what they are about. I'm allowed to have an opinion

I don't disagree with what you are saying, it has nothing to do with that. YOU HAVEN'T READ THE DAMN BOOKS, none of these recent books. You don't realize that some of these books are pretty interesting, and have some fascinating story lines. But you comment like your lack of knowledge is to be cherished. THAT'S WHAT ANGERS ME!

I tell you what, buy a book that you like, read it front to back, and comment on it, I won't say a thing. Until that happens STFU, you don't get the right to troll something you know nothing about.

I wish you well, honestly. I am not interested in your martyrdom, you can take your comments and your Cross and go post yourself up somewhere else.
Moose

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

hawkeyeps wrote:I can vouch for nonplayer he is an OG fan. I think you even won one of his contests Moose and I sent you a Riley Rossmo sketch cover colored by Dave Baron.

He may not be the most eloquent but he is a true Valiant fan and very passionate about the books.

I hear ya, and I'm out for the day. I just get irritated with anyone who comments on things they know nothing about, regardless of fandom. I'm not questioning his fandom, never have.
Moose

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Geez it's a comic man, get a grip.

While I can't speak for others I will say the whole "you can't say you don't like something unless you buy it" has always been a rather ridiculous stance IMO. I'm over 40 years old and know pretty well at this point what I will or won't like. Why spend money on something that doesn't look appealing? To win brownie points on an internet message board? Life is too short. I can watch a trailer for a movie and know if it interests me. I can read preview pages from a comic and tell if it will appeal to me. If I see a turd on the sidewalk I don't have to step in it to know it's a turd, I just walk around it and keep moving.

And if it doesn't look appealing why encourage them with another sale just so you can say, "yep, I knew I wasn't going to like it." They already skew the data of the first issues of these books enough with their ridiculous variant covers and stores returning hundreds of copies that literally no one ever wanted. Why encourage more of that behavior? If a company is putting out bad product then well maybe their time is up, but it's not for me to subsidize their poor judgement, decisions and execution. They fail and succeed by the quality of their product, no more no less. They don't deserve a sale just like they don't deserve a participation trophy, they have to earn it.

Do I want to see Valiant succeed? Only if the books are worthwhile. When I think of Valiant I think of X-O, Harbinger, A&A and Ninjak. Right now if I look at the company I don't see any of those characters. I just see a bunch of turds on the sidewalk.

I'm astonished that everyone isn't on the same page regarding how awful this book is. Why take it personal? I bet the creators involved with this book don't care as much (which is probably also why we are where we are currently).

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:quote="TheeBaldMoose"]
Ryan wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:

Valiant is Dmg now its not what it was just like valiant before 2012 is not what it was. And thats why Im not suporting their crap. If they put out something I want to get I will. Cant wait for the new bloodshot series and xo.
Man, you "use-ta ran" is big in your vocab, but what have you done to back up any statement you've made regarding any book that you've crapped on? If you would have read these books, and crapped on them, then I wouldn't have a beef with you (there's your friggin "freedom of speech"), but you don't know a single thing about these books. I'm sick of you crapping on stuff you have zero knowledge about. It's not just this book, it seems to be every book! I can say I've read them, I am allowed to comment, because I know what they are about. I'm allowed to have an opinion

I don't disagree with what you are saying, it has nothing to do with that. YOU HAVEN'T READ THE DAMN BOOKS, none of these recent books. You don't realize that some of these books are pretty interesting, and have some fascinating story lines. But you comment like your lack of knowledge is to be cherished. THAT'S WHAT ANGERS ME!

I tell you what, buy a book that you like, read it front to back, and comment on it, I won't say a thing. Until that happens STFU, you don't get the right to troll something you know nothing about.

I wish you well, honestly. I am not interested in your martyrdom, you can take your comments and your Cross and go post yourself up somewhere else.[/quote]

:roll:

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I would just like to make my position clear on my comments to Non Player. If he doesn't like DMG, so be it, thats his opinion. On not being interested in the titles being released, thats fine. But to criticize a book he hasn't read? That makes no sense. Read the book then criticize it and you're entitled to your opinion. Don't read the book and criticize it makes no sense, and that's why i get frustrated.
I listen to all the Podcasts as well, but still make my own mind up based on what i have read. If you did the same, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.