Fallen World #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Fallen World #3 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

This week, Chris and I step all over each other as we attack this hybrid beast out of constructive love while insulting the comic book industry and all millennials.

Not to be missed! :thumb:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr212/

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Fallen World #3 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Solid issue, not as good as issues #1 and #2 but still enjoyable. Linking the story to War Mother was good (apart from the talking gun - yuk) and the refugees blowing up the city was a nice twist too. Overall it had good momentum and is easily 2nd best book behind LADOTH.

Couple of minor gripes, the animal people were visually good but I hated the way elephant man spoke, seemed clichéd. Also, Rai kid’s missing arm switched from right to left, bit like Lula’s eye patch last issue. Between the artist and editor how does that happen?? The only thing I can think of is that the panel is ‘reversed’ for some reason so it’s not how the artist drew it? DBS/Grendel do you know why this is (you guys know about art)?

Another general peeve is the personality of Gilad, they seem to be making him more ‘jokey’, bit like Thor in the Marvel movies. Same with Bloodshot, everyone’s ‘quippy’, which is a bit tedious.

3.75/5 Good book!

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:This week, Chris and I step all over each other as we attack this hybrid beast out of constructive love while insulting the comic book industry and all millennials.

I think the dude hanging around with Rai is just a plot device so they can talk (ie explain the story), a bit like how the XO armour now talks or War Mother’s gun. What wrong with using thought bubbles?

There are plans in place for more Fallen World, not sure when or the creative team but I hope Dan Abnett stays on the book and I’d be happy with Pollina’s art too.

Great discussion on the direction of the company fellas, totally agree with your points :thumb:

But the biggest plot twist this week...is Chris on Twitter?!? :o Or else how did he know about Dysart talking about SoS?

5/5 common sense taimos for the discussion :high-five:

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:This week, Chris and I step all over each other as we attack this hybrid beast out of constructive love while insulting the comic book industry and all millennials.

I think the dude hanging around with Rai is just a plot device so they can talk (ie explain the story), a bit like how the XO armour now talks or War Mother’s gun. What wrong with using thought bubbles?

There are plans in place for more Fallen World, not sure when or the creative team but I hope Dan Abnett stays on the book and I’d be happy with Pollina’s art too.

Great discussion on the direction of the company fellas, totally agree with your points :thumb:

But the biggest plot twist this week...is Chris on Twitter?!? :o Or else how did he know about Dysart talking about SoS?

5/5 common sense taimos for the discussion :high-five:
Not on Twitter, I got the link here.

Thanks for listening!

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Solid issue, not as good as issues #1 and #2
I agree. But I'd say not nearly as good as issues #1 and #2. This meandered and was unfocused - four different plotlines that don't get enough momentum in their chopped up appearances. And I really hate the Geomancer looking like some late 90s Image character (Aphrodite IX, specifically in some panels). I had the same thoughts on the animal people too - good visual, poor dialogue.

I did really enjoy this exchange though.

WM: They call me War Mother.

EW: Fancy. Nice, chatty gun you got there.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Great discussion on the direction of the company fellas, totally agree with your points :thumb:
Agreed.

Two things I weren't onboard with were 1) getting an animal men mini (that's Hip Flask folks) and 2) 4/5 for a book you both seemed middle of the road on.

I'm fairly new to the podcast, but, man, every week the ratings are so skewed to 3 and up. Except Bloodshot Rising, which no one would actually rate by the end.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Finally caught up on this. So far so good. Continuity is intact and the art is pretty good, although I feel like Rai is a bit thin, and Gilad’s dialogue seems a bit off, but other than that, it’s aight. :thumb:
#StayValiant