Denoting newsstand editions

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
Denoting newsstand editions

Post by StarBrand »

I saw a newsstand edition that had been denoted as such by CBCS in the label. Does CBCS do that on all newsstands now? Has CGC started doing that?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Denoting newsstand editions

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:I saw a newsstand edition that had been denoted as such by CBCS in the label. Does CBCS do that on all newsstands now? Has CGC started doing that?
CBCS does denote newsstand. They made an announcement about it a couple of years ago on Facebook (and probably other sites): https://www.facebook.com/CBCScomics/pho ... 858719284/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CGC has been inconsistent in noting newsstand, mainly because they only noted newsstand when there was a clear difference from the direct edition, such as Spawn #9 newsstand which did not come with the poster (so it isn't incomplete without the poster).

Other newsstand books are printed on different paper (usually newsprint) but otherwise the same (except for the newsstand UPC) and CGC has gradually started noting some of those books. Spawn #1 newsstand still isn't noted by CGC in the CGC Census, but Spawn #5 newsstand showed up in late-October 2018 and Spawn #6 newsstand showed up a couple weeks ago.

GPAnalysis.com has been coding some of the newsstand books based on the analysis of the photos from the auctions, but they have only begun to do so recently. I'm guessing that's much harder to do than just reading it from the CGC label (but CGC isn't labeling them). :D

The two "biggest books" where there's a pretty clear difference in the population (and prices) are Spawn #1 and Amazing Spider-Man #300.
There are also Canadian Newsstand books for other popular modern keys like Amazing Spider-Man #252 and Thor #337, which also have a different cover price (Canadian dollars).
CGC and GPAnalysis only note some of these, and going back a few years the slab labels and sales records didn't note any of them.

The whole discussion is still pretty early for the hobby, and so many collectors relied so heavily on their local comic shops that they will probably be VERY opposed to premiums attached to newsstand books for many more years, insisting that it doesn't make any difference and that barcodes are ugly. It's probably the same as finding out you only have 4 of the 5 lottery numbers when you thought your winning ticket was the "big one". :lol:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I love newsstands. I buy Iron Man newsstands when I can find them - newsstands from volume 1 around issue 300 get harder to find. I also buy Quasar newsstands - there's a whole complicated story behind Quasar newsstand issues that most people don't know. If I have a choice regarding a slab, I will usually go with the newsstand if I can.

I wish CGC would always denote this, but CGC labeling has never been all that great anyway.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Would love to know more about newsstand copies of Quasar and Iron Man. I collect direct and newsstand copies of Uncanny and Star Wars, among others. I’ve noticed trends where there is a steep drop off of news, and I’ve sold early direct Uncanny at a high premium, as well as later newsstand copies.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

nycjadie wrote:I’ve sold early direct Uncanny at a high premium, as well as later newsstand copies.
We know that there were fewer direct editions "in the beginning" because the whole market was once 100% newsstand and 0% direct, then it flipped... so there was a time that direct editions were printed in much lower numbers, but I'm also interested in the survival rates for direct editions (even at the earliest dates) since the whole concept was putting direct editions into the hands of collectors (who "cared") while newsstands generally went to everyone else (and survival was basically "luck").