Bloodshot (2019) #1 discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Bloodshot (2019) #1 discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bang bang boom boom, Youngblood and a tank!

On this week’s OTV/VCR we discuss the action packed popcorn book that is, Bloodshot (2019) #1.

Note: it’s better than Rising Spirit (any issue) was! :thumb:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr223/

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Bloodshot (2019) #1 discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

• *That Shalvey cover is the worst.
    *Yup, that was a Tim Seeley written book for sure. You're enjoyment may depend on if you like his writing style. I don't.
    *Brett Booth's art has some fun moments, but a lot of the bad guys were indistinguishable. And looked like COBRA soldiers.
    *Dalhouse's colors didn't do this book any favors. Everything was blue, red, or fire.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Its the best thing DMG has put out thats "for me" that I enjoyed. The art was great. It was a good introductory first issue. My only beef, I found the dialog hard to follow. Is this just me?
4.5/5 was this a mission or a dream. What did the president do dream it.
I Miss the good old days.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

nonplayer wrote:My only beef, I found the dialog hard to follow. Is this just me?
It's not just you. I find this happens with most things Seeley writes.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Listened to the podcast on the drive to work this morning:

Of course it reminded everyone of 90s Image, it was drawn by one of the biggest names of 90s Image.

I HATED the running lisp gag. Primarily because it's a comic book storytelling pet peeve of mine second only to main character meets circus characters (see also: VH1 Bloodshot #25-26). But also because the art never showed anything that remotely indicated a wound to the guys' mouth.

Honestly, that was a problem throughout for me. The art and the story/dialogue weren't in sync. What was supposed to be going on with the tank stuck in the wall? When DBS pointed out that the bad guys were hesitant to kill women and children that was something I completely missed.

And why in the world was the bad guy allowed to say godd@mn but Bloodshot was censored when he did? Also, why is everyone saying godd@mn so much? There's other middle of the road "bad words."

Finally, what happened to Amy's rating? Cause you two were clearly high with yours. :D
Last edited by SwiftMann on Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Utter garbage!

Singing Bloodshot?!
Bloodshot can now use his nanites to ‘become’ clothing?!
Fella gets shot through the cheek and his only injury is a comedy lisp?!?
1990’s art and character designs!?
Most boring cover ever (shelvey cover) is the one used for all the promos!?!

These new editors are clueless and make one disastrous decision after another.

I’ve ordered the pre-ordered Tim Sale cover but got the Declan Shelvey one :!: but if this doesn’t dramatically improve soon them I’m out after #4.

2/5 - you're wrecking Bloodshot’s character-taimos facepalm

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Bang bang boom boom, Youngblood and a tank!

On this week’s OTV/VCR we discuss the action packed popcorn book that is, Bloodshot (2019) #1.

Note: it’s better than Rising Spirit (any issue) was! :thumb:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr223/
Not by much :?

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Singing Bloodshot?!
I forgot about this! Completely pulled me out of the book for a minute thinkings "What the hell?"

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Singing Bloodshot?!
I forgot about this! Completely pulled me out of the book for a minute thinkings "What the hell?"
Also that line “I know you’re hungry and thirsty in ways I could never understand “ which is in itself cringey, but given the missions he’s been on hundreds of times, he’s been blown to smithereens, limbs ripped off, shot a gazillion times, been hungry enough to eat a dead cow raw....I’m pretty sure Bloodshot would be really good at imagining suffering!
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:55:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Singing Bloodshot?!
Get ready for singing Vin Diesel in the movie...

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

mateo107 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Singing Bloodshot?!
Get ready for singing Vin Diesel in the movie...
Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, Dinesh and co get ousted the year before an actual Valiant film becomes a reality and the worst editorial team take control of the reigns and put out the worst books since the Acclaim era! What a time to put out back to back flop Bloodshot series! I hope I’m wrong on the new series and it gets better but...not confident facepalm

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bloodshot Reborn and Salvation were “better.”

Bloodshot Rising Spirit was MUCH “worse.”

This book is not terrible and it’s not great. It is what it is, and it’s a significant improvement from where we were just a few months ago.

Personally, I liked what Dinesh put out; however, I am not going to hate everything that DMG puts out, simply because my mind is made up to already hate it. It looks like a 90s Image Book, and while not close to Lemire territory, we can (and have) experienced much worse. I can deal with this, and watch it evolve into a deeper story perhaps. Rising Spirit was dead on arrival and couldn’t go away fast enough.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Bloodshot Reborn and Salvation were “better.”

This book is not terrible and it’s not great. It is what it is, and it’s a significant improvement from where we were just a few months ago.

Personally, I liked what Dinesh put out; however, I am not going to hate everything that DMG puts out, simply because my mind is made up to already hate it. It looks like a 90s Image Book, and while not close to Lemire territory, we can (and have) experienced much worse. I can deal with this, and watch it evolve into a deeper story perhaps. Rising Spirit was dead on arrival and couldn’t go away fast enough.
I agree for the most part but I very much want to like the books, I don’t want to see the line fail and certainly don’t pre determine the books, but these books are not good enough. Fallen World was and incursion was too, but this book isn’t (IMO). The 90’s is synonymous with bad books and this book keeps getting referenced as a ‘90’s’ book...that’s not a good thing. I do hope it gets better and I’m in for the next 3 issues.

Interested to know how Chris rated this book?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

I agree for the most part but I very much want to like the books, I don’t want to see the line fail and certainly don’t pre determine the books, but these books are not good enough. Fallen World was and incursion was too, but this book isn’t (IMO). The 90’s is synonymous with bad books and this book keeps getting referenced as a ‘90’s’ book...that’s not a good thing. I do hope it gets better and I’m in for the next 3 issues.

3/5 just kind of middle of the road and it was very much like a 90's Image book which have never really been my thing.

It was 90s Marvel and Image that made me a Valiant fan in the first place.

Feels off brand and yeah it's getting a huge break following up BRS because the bar was set so damn low.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Wasn’t bad, but wasn’t good either. It was just, aight! :?

It’s still early, but it seems like Lemire, had the best handle on this character... :?
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

3/5 just kind of middle of the road and it was very much like a 90's Image book which have never really been my thing.

Feels off brand and yeah it's getting a huge break following up BRS because the bar was set so damn low.
Yeah the bar across the line is so low at the moment I think had this books been released during a stronger period then maybe it would have stood out more (for the wrong reasons). Could improve though or we could get more singing ...let’s see!

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

The advertising as a throwback to the 90's is what got me to give it a try. I enjoyed 90's Bloodshot by Valiant. This issue (while not written as well as BS 1 from Valiant) had the same action packed/violent feel that BS 1 did back when in premiered by Perlin and Hall.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

Did anyone get the Carbon Fiber variant? If so how did it feel?

I went with the Johnson cover.

michalward
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by michalward »

tarheelmarine wrote:Did anyone get the Carbon Fiber variant? If so how did it feel?

I got the Carbon Fiber cover. It feels too light for the price tag. With the glass books you got a nice weight to go with the higher price.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

michalward wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:Did anyone get the Carbon Fiber variant? If so how did it feel?

I got the Carbon Fiber cover. It feels too light for the price tag. With the glass books you got a nice weight to go with the higher price.
:thumb:

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

DirtbagSailor wrote:it’s a significant improvement from where we were just a few months ago.
I really don't think it is. It's an improvement, but it's really not a significant one.
...watch it evolve into a deeper story perhaps.
It's Seeley, so it won't.
Rising Spirit was dead on arrival and couldn’t go away fast enough.
I genuinely liked this #1 less than Rising Spirit #1. Granted, it completely crashed and burned with #2, but #1 wasn't the nail in BRS for me.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Here is what I would have liked to see- Bloodshot goes on a quest of revenge against Livewire for what she did in HW2 and hooks up with the HARD Corps to so.

Bloodshot and HARD Corps 2, I would be all over that.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

hawkeyeps wrote:Here is what I would have liked to see- Bloodshot goes on a quest of revenge against Livewire for what she did in HW2 and hooks up with the HARD Corps to so.

Bloodshot and HARD Corps 2, I would be all over that.
After reading Bloodshot Deluxe Edition 2, I would like to see that as well.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

For what it is and will be I thought it was fine. Seeley has said its action driven. The comedy is something I did not enjoy, but I know why it’s there, or I think I do. I love Brett’s work, but he is not the artist for this book (I have been saying this since the first pages were previewed) because he is so fluid and graceful and Bloodshot is not..lol. I think had he been put on Ninjak or Rai he would have killed it. This isn’t VEI. Story and universal cohesion are not priority for this group. They have told us this. This is their type of stories. With the other books coming down the pipe (maybe announcing this weekend?) it is a shift. It’s not bad, it’s different. I am willing to give it a shot, but gone are the days of me buying multiples of books and the entire line.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I enjoyed the issue. Better action than the last series which was so tough to even read. Less detail attention to continuity so far, but whatever. I like Seeley writing personally so it reads like one of his books and that is enough for a 7/10 from me.

I really don't think Valiant's going to ever be the same again. This recent shake up and restaff has me almost completely checked out of the company.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.