Valiant V1 prices

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Valiant V1 prices

Post by StarBrand »

When was the last time Master Darque appeared in a new Valiant comic book? I was pretty surprised when I saw how cheap Shadowman 8 has been going for, I thought I’d try to make some sense of it. I saw a Shadowman 8 CGC 9.8 listed for $50, and a CGC 9.6 at $25. Have other semi-key or key Valiants dropped in price?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand
Re: Valiant V1 prices

Post by StarBrand »

Looks like Archer and Armstrong 8 is down from where I remember it too. That’s not a key, but I’d call it a semi-key.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

There are so many of those two books in 9.8, and not a lot of interest in them at the moment, character-wise. Definitely two that could pop in the future.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

nycjadie wrote:There are so many of those two books in 9.8, and not a lot of interest in th
em at the moment, character-wise. Definitely two that could pop in the future.
I hadn’t looked at them in a few years, and was just surprised at how low the prices are now. It’s a shame the Valiant creators don’t make use of a great villain like Master D’arque.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

These books are certainly “keys” however, they were printed in high quantities and the 9.8 supply current exceeds the market demand.

Perhaps they “should” be of greater value, but at the moment, Rai #0, Eternal Warrior #4, Harbinger #1, and Solar #3 are on more collector radars.

Not every key spikes when we might like it to. The “trick” is to be aware of these keys before others in the general population are aware, and then strike early when it reasonably appears that the characters are about to become a major “thing” outside of what they already are.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I loved the Darque in the 2012 Shadowman run. Not everyone like it. I did. It was a good read, especially compared to the stuff coming out today. Hope we get to see more of this villain.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Has Shadowman appeared since that run?

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I was rooting around on eBay looking at the Solar gold key prices and noticed that 1st print VH1 Solar 10s routinely sell for $5 + shipping. Now I'm sure everyone assumes that when you buy a random one of these, it's about VF.... But still. I sold a really sharp NM on eBay for 125 within the last 3 months.

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

I doubt the Shadowman 8 print run is appreciably larger than that of EW # 4, since it came out just one month later.

As the above list shows, the only major Valiant books that have heat right now are those with direct (or, soon-to-be-presumed) movie tie-ins.

Also, random question, but why the high asking prices for CGC 9.8 copies of Harbinger 8? Multiple copies are floating around on eBay with $200+ asks.

Was there a production flaw with it that made 9.8s difficult 15 years later? I don't get it...

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I think that's the first appearance of Ax? No, that's not it...

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Rai-fan wrote:Also, random question, but why the high asking prices for CGC 9.8 copies of Harbinger 8? Multiple copies are floating around on eBay with $200+ asks.

Was there a production flaw with it that made 9.8s difficult 15 years later? I don't get it...
There weren't enough CGC 9.8 Harbinger #8 for collectors attempting to complete their Pre-Unity and Unity sets until recently. Frustration had pushed the price over $400. More recently, several 9.8s have been graded and the price had fallen to around $50, which is usally about right for common issues from Unity. Those sellers asking $200 now are hoping for a price somewhere in between.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

That was a tough issue for many of us to obtain in 9.8. I had to screen dozens and dozens to finally get one. There is a production error that causes a crease on the spine. I think a bunch of folks pulled out some old stock and graded them up, possibly with a press.

I typically don't press my books (unless it's one of these situations), but the cost of assembling a pressed book is about $35, plus the raw book cost. While this book is no longer a $.50 book, $50 for this book is a bargain. Great time to buy.

Rai-fan

Post by Rai-fan »

Thanks, folks! I’m not surprised there are books like this that likely languished for 15+ years before slabbing & discovering they’re rare in high grade, but seemed weird to me.

ckb

Post by ckb »

Rai-fan wrote:Thanks, folks! I’m not surprised there are books like this that likely languished for 15+ years before slabbing & discovering they’re rare in high grade, but seemed weird to me.
There's another thread on just this topic. I have 100 unread well-cared for copies and not one of them will grade 9.8. I don't even think a press would help on many of them. I (and others) went so many years not slabbing this book because we never had candidates the census stayed low. With such a big print run there are bound to be parts of it that lie flat and look nice. Looks like we are finding them, or CGC is "evolving" a bit.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Rai-fan wrote:Also, random question, but why the high asking prices for CGC 9.8 copies of Harbinger 8? Multiple copies are floating around on eBay with $200+ asks.

Greg is right. It’s a book few slabbers cared about, with a flimsy, thin, black inked cover stock.

When I was building my 9.8 set, certain issues were repeat 9.6 disappointments. As it can take a LONG time for CGC to receive, grade, and return a book (again, often in less than 9.8 condition) I found myself considering options.

Did I “really” want to spend another year or three driving to shops and longbox diving for a 9.8 candidate — only to be disappointed with a 9.6 yet again? Should I play “Russian roulette” with eBay or Facebook sellers promising a NM+/M raw copy that turns out to be VF- once receive? Oh, and all the shipping fees too? Pressing fees? How much would this cost me in terms of gas, time, and energy? Grace certainly doesn’t want to follow me around the state looking for a NM+/M copy of Harbinger #8.

So when I saw a 9.8 Signature Series copy Signed by cover artist Frank Miller (who at the time charged $300 just to sign...) I felt 100% self-justified in dropping half a grand lol! :lol:

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Similar to Harbinger #8, it cost me well over a grand to finally acquire a CGC 9.8 Harbinger TPB (Second Printing), which is currently the only one.

I previously ordered/purchased/shipped/submitted well over a dozen copies with NOTHING over a 9.4. Most were not even worth submitting (I didn’t lol) despite the sellers always stating “NM+” and later... ...”sorry, we are not professional graders...”

Trust me when I say that (for me) the price was worth it.