BAD IDEA

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: BAD IDEA

Post by agent_graves »

AnarchoMambo wrote:I have a bad idea:

What if they worked out a way to buy the rights to the Gold Key characters?

That would be good.
That would be an amazing idea. Hopefully one day! :hope:

They have a Facebook page for this #BADIDEA for those interested!
#StayValiant

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

GammaJosh wrote:Please god don't let it be the Gold Key characters. I fully expect Dinesh and crew to offer up some fresh ideas. It would really be a shame to see them try to go backwards and trade on nostalgia. Besides, in 2019 the whole concept of Magnus Robot Fighter is preposterous. The idea that A.I. and robotics in the future will take the form of big punchable anthropomorphic robots is laughable now. Let the past be the past.
I'm saving this statement to show you when I'm helping the big anthropomorphic robots destroy humanity...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

lorddunlow wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:Please god don't let it be the Gold Key characters. I fully expect Dinesh and crew to offer up some fresh ideas. It would really be a shame to see them try to go backwards and trade on nostalgia. Besides, in 2019 the whole concept of Magnus Robot Fighter is preposterous. The idea that A.I. and robotics in the future will take the form of big punchable anthropomorphic robots is laughable now. Let the past be the past.
I'm saving this statement to show you when I'm helping the big anthropomorphic robots destroy humanity...
This is one of my major problems with the later Terminator movies. I just can't believe that humans are engaging in firefights with man-shaped robots and surviving more than a split second. We've seen enough of robotics and A.I. in 2019 to know that those humans wouldn't even get a shot off before being targeted and shot straight through the head by some tiny drone. I'm definitely beyond the point where I can suspend my disbelief enough for a guy in a mini-skirt punching his way to victory.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
BAD IDEA

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Dino knows all that.

So Magnus could be more political, and deal more with the philosophy of AI and being human. Turok could tackle all sorts of contemporary issues like immigration, cultural identity, and maybe addiction. Solar could be about religion & science. Any of these taboo topics alone with characters originating in the mid-20th century would be a bad idea in the comics medium, but a publisher doing all of them at once?

Anyway, would they pretty easily be able to lure these characters away from Dynamite, with a closed-ended take on the film profits? Dynamite would see that as a great deal, as they have to know it would be their best shot to get film money out of the IPs.

That all being said, I would also favor a whole new thing too. But, leaving the Gold Key 3 behind in the dust and unleashing those creators on brand new stuff without history and precedent boxing them in; Wouldn’t that actually be a good idea?
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Sorry, but the GK3 ain't that great as concepts. If they were, they would have been more successful at Dark Horse and Dynamite. Only a few people care anymore. Why would Dinesh and crew pay good money for concepts with almost no market value when they can just create new concepts without having to buy them or pay a licensing fee?

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

GammaJosh wrote:Sorry, but the GK3 ain't that great as concepts. If they were, they would have been more successful at Dark Horse and Dynamite (sucks!). Only a few people care anymore. Why would Dinesh and crew pay good money for concepts with almost no market value when they can just create new concepts without having to buy them or pay a licensing fee?
Don’t pay good money for them and then they make sense. No ones knows the market value for them.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

That's what they want you to think!

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

GammaJosh wrote:Sorry, but the GK3 ain't that great as concepts. If they were, they would have been more successful at Dark Horse and Dynamite (sucks!). Only a few people care anymore. Why would Dinesh and crew pay good money for concepts with almost no market value when they can just create new concepts without having to buy them or pay a licensing fee?
I get what you’re saying, but if anybody deserved to have them, it’s Dinesh!!

Besides, they wouldn’t be the only eggs in the basket.
#StayValiant

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
That's what they want you to think!

I am firmly on the side of the robots when the time comes. My digital trail will support this fact to the machine overlords.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

*SQUEE* you dunlow :twisted:

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

Looking forward to new IPs being announced around January, hopefully. Excited to see what book Matt Kindt produces for Bad Ideas. Also interested in knowing how many launch titles are planned.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

agent_graves wrote: I get what you’re saying, but if anybody deserved to have them, it’s Dinesh!!
Agreed, but that seems like a pretty sad consolation prize. I'd rather see him succeed with fresh characters and ideas. Starting another company with the GK3 would just seem like a low-rent second attempt at reviving Valiant. (Low-rent in terms of characters, not talent.)

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

agent_graves wrote:

That would be good.

Link?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

kjjohanson wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

That would be good.

Link?
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1495385493933181/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works but, it’s a private group so I’m not sure if it’ll work for those that haven’t sent a request through Facebook. If that’s the case, I’ll send you an invite myself through Facebook! :thumb:
#StayValiant

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

My 2 Euro cents:

If the GK3 were part of this thing, I'd be on the meh camp. Honestly, the only place where this might even be a thought is here, at a fan site about Valiant. Which has 0 to do with this thing, except for the obvious "its the VEI OG staff". Why would the GK3 be on their thoughts, given how spetacularly those properties have failed since end of VH1? Forget about the viability of the characters, just looking at numbers on sales and general media interest, it's an obvious NO, imho.

I honestly hope its more of a new publisher a la Image, with indie-flavored ongoings rather than a self-contained Universe of super people, a la Valiant.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

ShadowTuga wrote:I honestly hope its more of a new publisher a la Image, with indie-flavored ongoings rather than a self-contained Universe of super people, a la Valiant.
That works too! I think most here will give it a shot, on the strength that it’s OG VEI... :thumb:
#StayValiant

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

agent_graves wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I honestly hope its more of a new publisher a la Image, with indie-flavored ongoings rather than a self-contained Universe of super people, a la Valiant.
That works too! I think most here will give it a shot, on the strength that it’s OG VEI... :thumb:
I'm the opposite. I'm hoping that it's another self-contained universe, or at least in big part. There are so many indie publishers, but not many who create a universe of characters that can interact with each other and build on history. That would be cool to watch from the ground floor. Again.

AnarchoMambo
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
BAD IDEA

Post by AnarchoMambo »

There are already many Image and Image-like books. Besides Image, there are Aftershock, Vault, Scout and others. And about half the output of Boom and Dark Horse already resembles Image books. It might be somewhat crowded there. And many Image books go away after a short and often interrupted run. Very few hits, ultimately. Not sure another upstart would do well in that kind of environment.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nycjadie wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
I'm the opposite. I'm hoping that it's another self-contained universe, or at least in big part. There are so many indie publishers, but not many who create a universe of characters that can interact with each other and build on history. That would be cool to watch from the ground floor. Again.
I like this thought process, a self contained universe would allow the easiest access to movies, and an ongoing amount of viable material. You've got uber talented people kicking this thing off, with stories that will matter to the reader, or at least suck people into caring about what they're reading.

Build your own history, re-creating a Marvel\DC style universe that may be a little more connected with modern times? This is what interests me the most. Give me something current, something closer to real, again with real consequences, and I am in!

Oh, and the Get Valiant crew will be on with Dinesh tonight via You Tube at 7:15pm PST. Bet there will be some talk around #BadIdea
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I’m definitely in if Dino is kicking off a new venture, especially with some of those names attached.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Maybe they'll pull off what the Image founders tried to do in the 90s but with a more cohesive feel and good writing.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Dino is truly masterful at dropping subtle hints in plain sight. :applause:

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

AnarchoMambo wrote:
There are already many Image and Image-like books. Besides Image, there are Aftershock, Vault, Scout and others. And about half the output of Boom and Dark Horse already resembles Image books. It might be somewhat crowded there. And many Image books go away after a short and often interrupted run. Very few hits, ultimately. Not sure another upstart would do well in that kind of environment.
I 100% agree with you. There seems to be a new Image-esque company popping up every few years, and it's not like any of them are doing that great. It would just be so boring to see a bunch of random stories with nothing tying them together. Marvel and DC seriously need some healthy competition.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

iggy101us wrote:
Dino is truly masterful at dropping subtle hints in plain sight. :applause:
I’m excited to see what they are going to do and I look forward to supporting them.