Is the 90s Nexus a dead universe?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Is the 90s Nexus a dead universe?

Post by Oxmyx »

I'm not sure one title comprises a universe, and not sure if Dark Horse has made more Nexus since the 90s
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Is the 90s Nexus a dead universe?

Post by Chiclo »

Steve Rude published a 4-issue mini not under the Dark Horse label about 10 years or so ago, but they were numbered as Nexus 97 - 100. I think the publisher was Rude Dude Publishing.

Nexus appeared in several issues of the Dark Horse Presents anthology books that Dark Horse put out a few years ago.

Steve Rude published some Nexus Newspapers a couple of years ago that he did through Kickstarter. He keeps teasing more Nexus, too.

There is something special about 80s indy comics. My favourites are Grendel, Nexus and Dreadstar but there were a lot of good characters and books in that time.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Chiclo wrote:<snip>

There is something special about 80s indy comics. My favourites are Grendel, Nexus and Dreadstar but there were a lot of good characters and books in that time.
:thumb:

completely agree...more people need to (re)read the First Comics lines...they would be pleasantly surprised
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

myron wrote:

completely agree...more people need to (re)read the First Comics lines...they would be pleasantly surprised
Nexus got me started on First a few years back.

Then I went to Badger and Shatter and Whisper. Just have a couple more issues of both Grimjack and Jon Sable (in all their iterations) to find before I go through each of their lengthy runs. First was pretty amazing.

But, Nexus is the original. Such good stuff with very, very few roadbumps. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to spring for the Kickstarter. Kind of glad I didn't as the Newspaper collections were recently solicited and I preordered those.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

SwiftMann wrote:
myron wrote:

Nexus got me started on First a few years back.

Then I went to Badger and Shatter and Whisper. Just have a couple more issues of both Grimjack and Jon Sable (in all their iterations) to find before I go through each of their lengthy runs. First was pretty amazing.

But, Nexus is the original. Such good stuff with very, very few roadbumps. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to spring for the Kickstarter. Kind of glad I didn't as the Newspaper collections were recently solicited and I preordered those.
Hell yeah. Loved all those: Nexus, Grendel, Badger, Sable, Dreadstar, and Madman (a bit later, but still). Great stuff at the fight of the industry.

As an aside, Fresh Monkey put together a line of toys that mix those Indy characters and others with public domain golden age heroes. You can check them out here: https://www.freshmonkeyfiction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

I became a big Nexus fan during the dark horse days. There were a few spin off series so it definitely counts as a universe IMO.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

SJS4 wrote:I became a big Nexus fan during the dark horse days. There were a few spin off series so it definitely counts as a universe IMO.
Fascinating. I didn't realize there were spinoffs. Can you name any? And I guess Magnus is in a way part of the Nexus Universe
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote:
SJS4 wrote:I became a big Nexus fan during the dark horse days. There were a few spin off series so it definitely counts as a universe IMO.
Fascinating. I didn't realize there were spinoffs. Can you name any? And I guess Magnus is in a way part of the Nexus Universe
Next Nexus was a First Comics spinoff. Judah Maccabee had a limited series.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Chiclo wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
Next Nexus took place alongside #52-55 and continues into #56.

Judah had three minis. Hammer of God, Hammer of God: Sword of Justice, Hammer of God: Butch. And a one-shot Hammer of God: Pentathalon.

Plus, there was a Clonezone one-shot (who also showed up in the first Munden's Bar Annual).

He also took part in First's intracompany crossovers Crossroads and Gift.

As well as crossovers with Madman and Magnus.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

There was also the Mezz one shot, but the Hammer of God series were the main ones.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

SwiftMann wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
Next Nexus took place alongside #52-55 and continues into #56.

Judah had three minis. Hammer of God, Hammer of God: Sword of Justice, Hammer of God: Butch. And a one-shot Hammer of God: Pentathalon.

Plus, there was a Clonezone one-shot (who also showed up in the first Munden's Bar Annual).

He also took part in First's intracompany crossovers Crossroads and Gift.

As well as crossovers with Madman and Magnus.
I can't believe I could not remember the Clonezone one-shot. Clonezone the Hilaritor is one of my favourite characters - probably second after Honest Crocus among the side characters.

I ended up with a bound volume of Nexus v2 1 to 8 at a silent auction at a con in Denver. Mike Baron was a guest and had signed it, so I asked him to personalize his signature to me. I carried that HC with me to San Diego a few years later and had Steve Rude sign it. He asked if I had any character that I wanted a sketch of and overwhelmed in the moment, I could not think of any. I wish I would have asked for either Crocus or Clonezone.