XO Manowar [2020] #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: XO Manowar [2020] #1 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:17:03 pm So, I finally got around to reading this. It's a Marvel book. I liked the art, and the actual writing from Dennis Hopeless was good, but it was a Marvel book. I have for the most part dropped Marvel because their style doesn't suit me anymore. I'm a big ole bleeding heart liberal who doesn't care about a creator's politics, as long as the comics are good. And this was just mediocre. If it had been a new character I would even say I liked it! But this isn't X-O.

It's nowhere near as bad as Acclaim X-O, which I'm currently reading out of morbid curiosity, but it's a sign that they aren't trying to keep the characters in-character. And that's a failure in the editing department. I think it was the soap opera writer Douglas Marland who said "if a fan says that a character would never do something that you have written, then you have failed as a writer". Antos being a liberal SJW whatever isn't the problem. Her not being a very good editor is the problem. How do you get someone with talent who has written the X-Men, and not rein them in when they pitch something completely alien to the X-O story?

Aric is a visigoth out of his time with one of the greatest weapons in the universe, not Spider-Man. Still, as disappointing as this was, as an isolated issue of a comic it wasn't bad and I'll stick with it for the foreseeable future. And I can see why a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't read Valiant are praising it. You just probably shouldn't alter the biggest character in your roster to appeal to a new readership, when it will only alienate your old readership.
Haven’t got my copy yet but I hear new readers like it. Presumably they’re following the same thought process as Bloodshot ie forget previous continuity.

As a business decision though, gain a few hundred new readers but lose a few thousand existing readers by not respecting continuity...seems an odd path to choose?

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

armlessphelan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:17:03 pm But this isn't X-O.
It also wasn't Shanhara.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:51:20 pm
grendeljd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04:50 pm Now it’s my turn to comment this - wow, no one wants to discuss the new XO, eh? Timing is bad of course, with the pandemic and the self-isolating and all the shutdown/lockdown activity happening, etc.

I’ve read the issue and I think it’s absolutely atrocious, and a disgraceful entry in the XO/Valiant universe. These guys should be ashamed of themselves for publishing it - might actually be worse than the infamous ”XO bike” idea.

There is a new OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Quantum & Woody (2020) #3];

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr243/
Grendeljd was quoted on Twitter and then a story was done by the Quartering about Heather Antos and her liberal nonsense where he also cited this post.

The Quartering Video: This Single Tweet Is Why Comics Are Failing...

If I dropped Valiant because there were too many variants in the past, I remained away because the content grew poorer and poorer, and I'll never come back to anything that Antos works on. I've read way too much nonsense from her and seen way too many entitled and vitriolic tweets. I've never interacted with her at all, but given the framework of her statements, I don't have any desire to.
Well that figures. One of the harshest things I think I've ever said around here and it ends up getting quoted in some website blog & a rant-y web video. Great. I was pretty disappointed in this book and was definitely not in a great mood about it when I wrote my posts above, but I did kind of go on a bit of a rude blast there. I would probably have been a little more tactful about it if I had let it sit a little longer before posting, and/or just let it go and said nothing as I usually do when I am not a fan of a thing - but I did say that stuff and I'll shoulder it. I am aware that this is a public place so anyone is free to take my words as they see fit.

The people making these comics are not intentionally trying to make bad comics. I know that. I personally have no interest in slandering any of the people involved in making this comic based on any social agendas or pre-existing hateful sentiments towards anyone at Valiant , as some people seem to do. I was moved to speak about how poor I thought this new iteration of Aric/XO is solely based on reading the first issue and finding it disappointingly lacking on its presented merits. I'm not interested in taking that impression further and participating in any personal attacks on Valiant management. Certainly their success, or lack of it, is based on the results of the decision-making of the people running it in tandem with the creative direction & the talent that they push for. As that impacts the overall quality of the line then that will ultimately play out in the sales of the books - which is an expression of public opinion ultimately.
Last edited by grendeljd on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

^not sure why a portion of my post above appears to be italicized - I didn't add that and can see no coding in the paragraph when I attempted to correct it. Don't take the italicizing as any kind of extra emphasis please.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I think what I'm trying to say in a positive light is that while I'm not really enjoying very many of the new Valiant series in recent years, I am not going to assume they're all terrible based on who is working at Valiant. I still give everything a fair chance by reading it first before forming my opinion on whether or not its appealing to me.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:37:28 pm I think what I'm trying to say in a positive light is that while I'm not really enjoying very many of the new Valiant series in recent years, I am not going to assume they're all terrible based on who is working at Valiant. I still give everything a fair chance by reading it first before forming my opinion on whether or not its appealing to me.
Just accept it Grendel, you’re the Canadian wing of Comicsgste now! :P :lol:
Nah seriously, what you said was mild and absolutely fair, it just seems harsh to you as you seem mild mannered. The books are poor, and whilst nobody at Valiant maybe intentionally making bad books, they’ve got absolutely no regard for the long term fans which is demonstrated by the dismissal of continuity. In addition, whilst the people in charge might be doing what they *think* is best for the company it blatantly isn’t working and the fans deserve better.
Continue to call it how you see it and don’t back away from your legitimate view of the books.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

On the topic of continuity, Jeff Lemire didn't really address much that Duane Swierczynski wrote, but he still wrote a damn good Bloodshot. Continuity is less important to me than consistent characterization. You can ignore continuity in a series as long as you don't actively retcon what came before. Because nobody wants a new X-Men where nobody can make sense of who is dead and who is Aric's secret half brother from an incestuous affair.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:07:06 pm
grendeljd wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:37:28 pm I think what I'm trying to say in a positive light is that while I'm not really enjoying very many of the new Valiant series in recent years, I am not going to assume they're all terrible based on who is working at Valiant. I still give everything a fair chance by reading it first before forming my opinion on whether or not its appealing to me.
Just accept it Grendel, you’re the Canadian wing of Comicsgste now! :P :lol:
Nah seriously, what you said was mild and absolutely fair, it just seems harsh to you as you seem mild mannered. The books are poor, and whilst nobody at Valiant maybe intentionally making bad books, they’ve got absolutely no regard for the long term fans which is demonstrated by the dismissal of continuity. In addition, whilst the people in charge might be doing what they *think* is best for the company it blatantly isn’t working and the fans deserve better.
Continue to call it how you see it and don’t back away from your legitimate view of the books.
I thought it was fine :D :high-five:

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

I just listened to the OTV review of XO #1 and then read some VH1 Unity and just opened the first page of the XO Chapter of Unity...the first line is a yellow box with his inner thoughts...I HATE THE CITY... COULDN'T WAIT TO GET AWAY--TO BE AMONGST THE TREES AND MOUNTAINS AGAIN...A MAN NEEDS A SIMPLE PLACE TO CALL HOME
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

grendeljd wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:29:42 pm
IMJ wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:51:20 pm
grendeljd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04:50 pm Now it’s my turn to comment this - wow, no one wants to discuss the new XO, eh? Timing is bad of course, with the pandemic and the self-isolating and all the shutdown/lockdown activity happening, etc.

I’ve read the issue and I think it’s absolutely atrocious, and a disgraceful entry in the XO/Valiant universe. These guys should be ashamed of themselves for publishing it - might actually be worse than the infamous ”XO bike” idea.

There is a new OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Quantum & Woody (2020) #3];

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr243/
Grendeljd was quoted on Twitter and then a story was done by the Quartering about Heather Antos and her liberal nonsense where he also cited this post.

The Quartering Video: This Single Tweet Is Why Comics Are Failing...

If I dropped Valiant because there were too many variants in the past, I remained away because the content grew poorer and poorer, and I'll never come back to anything that Antos works on. I've read way too much nonsense from her and seen way too many entitled and vitriolic tweets. I've never interacted with her at all, but given the framework of her statements, I don't have any desire to.
Well that figures. One of the harshest things I think I've ever said around here and it ends up getting quoted in some website blog & a rant-y web video. Great. I was pretty disappointed in this book and was definitely not in a great mood about it when I wrote my posts above, but I did kind of go on a bit of a rude blast there. I would probably have been a little more tactful about it if I had let it sit a little longer before posting, and/or just let it go and said nothing as I usually do when I am not a fan of a thing - but I did say that stuff and I'll shoulder it. I am aware that this is a public place so anyone is free to take my words as they see fit.

The people making these comics are not intentionally trying to make bad comics. I know that. I personally have no interest in slandering any of the people involved in making this comic based on any social agendas or pre-existing hateful sentiments towards anyone at Valiant , as some people seem to do. I was moved to speak about how poor I thought this new iteration of Aric/XO is solely based on reading the first issue and finding it disappointingly lacking on its presented merits. I'm not interested in taking that impression further and participating in any personal attacks on Valiant management. Certainly their success, or lack of it, is based on the results of the decision-making of the people running it in tandem with the creative direction & the talent that they push for. As that impacts the overall quality of the line then that will ultimately play out in the sales of the books - which is an expression of public opinion ultimately.

Look man, you manned up enough to speak the truth about crap books. And you didn't say anything wrong. So double down on the pubic opinion you've already delivered because the current creator cohort is so far gone that they'll grasp at any straws to demonstrate that your opinion is problematic or disingenuous rather than truthful and heartfelt.

You didn't say anything wrong, and instead it's clear that the people here are viewed as the legit fans of this publisher the way that Advanced Iron used to be the go-to for Iron Man fandom. And so, the citation of your post might've been opportunistic, but there are two truths at play rather than just one - it was opportunistic citation but it was a truthful opportunity.

Some of these comic creators are so far gone with their *SQUEE* that they'll still be screaming at an empty room with no readership once we've given up on analysis and simply moved on. It's already happening. You didn't say anything wrong, and minus a few virtue signalers here who now and again want a free book for their Valiant loyalty, you've likely represented most of the fandom with your opinion. You said nothing wrong.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Continue to call it how you see it and don’t back away from your legitimate view of the books.
+1
IMJ wrote:You said nothing wrong.
+2

This book was 🗑
#StayValiant

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

So, Antos blocked me on Twitter! :o While on FB, I hit a Valiant link, that sent me to Twitter, and apparently it was something she tweeted, and there it was, you’ve been blocked! :lol: So I know for a fact, she’s on here lurking because I’ve never been disrespectful to her, or was someone who constantly had negative things to say in her comments. Don’t be so thin-skinned boo, if your sh!t stinks (X-O #1) it stinks. :?
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

agent_graves wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:07:41 pm So, Antos blocked me on Twitter! :o While on FB, I hit a Valiant link, that sent me to Twitter, and apparently it was something she tweeted, and there it was, you’ve been blocked! :lol: So I know for a fact, she’s on here lurking because I’ve never been disrespectful to her, or was someone who constantly had negative things to say in her comments. Don’t be so thin-skinned boo, if your sh!t stinks (X-O #1) it stinks. :?
It might be a block bot of some sorts as she’d blocked me too (even though I don’t follow her), I can’t imagine she’d be bothered to block every individual who criticises her or else she’d be there all day. :lol: Maybe you follow someone she automatically blocks using a block bot? I follow Trump so maybe that’s it?

But then as ‘America has the worst fans’ and ‘anyone who voted Trump is a POS’ then most people on this board will be one or the other. Not me though, I’m neither! :P

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53:15 pm
agent_graves wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:07:41 pm So, Antos blocked me on Twitter! :o While on FB, I hit a Valiant link, that sent me to Twitter, and apparently it was something she tweeted, and there it was, you’ve been blocked! :lol: So I know for a fact, she’s on here lurking because I’ve never been disrespectful to her, or was someone who constantly had negative things to say in her comments. Don’t be so thin-skinned boo, if your sh!t stinks (X-O #1) it stinks. :?
It might be a block bot of some sorts as she’d blocked me too (even though I don’t follow her), I can’t imagine she’d be bothered to block every individual who criticises her or else she’d be there all day. :lol: Maybe you follow someone she automatically blocks using a block bot? I follow Trump so maybe that’s it?

But then as ‘America has the worst fans’ and ‘anyone who voted Trump is a POS’ then most people on this board will be one or the other. Not me though, I’m neither! :P
Yea, that could be the case, which is fine. Not much to see, the editorial post didn’t offer much insight to anything exciting. I just find it hard to see how she was so enthusiastic about the script for X-O #1, if she had studied what came before, I just don’t... :?

It ain’t personal, there is also other books that she hasn’t edited, that I don’t like as well. But man, LiveWire & X-O, books she did edit, weren’t for me. It’s comics, it happens, but when it’s characters you’ve really come to love, you kind of feel slighted. I’m falling back, it’s a lot of VH1 stuff (mainly Solar & Harbinger) I’ve been wanting to read, and with no new books for the foreseeable future, it’s perfect timing. :thumb:
#StayValiant

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

agent_graves wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51:20 pm

Yea, that could be the case, which is fine. Not much to see, the editorial post didn’t offer much insight to anything exciting. I just find it hard to see how she was so enthusiastic about the script for X-O #1, if she had studied what came before, I just don’t... :?

It ain’t personal, there is also other books that she hasn’t edited, that I don’t like as well. But man, LiveWire & X-O, books she did edit, weren’t for me. It’s comics, it happens, but when it’s characters you’ve really come to love, you kind of feel slighted. I’m falling back, it’s a lot of VH1 stuff (mainly Solar & Harbinger) I’ve been wanting to read, and with no new books for the foreseeable future, it’s perfect timing. :thumb:
I *just* finished the Livewire ongoing the other day. How anyone greenlit that final arc is beyond me. Tana Ford as an artist doesn't bother me, but she wasn't a good fit for the title. She's for a more optimistic character like Faith. The storyline made Amanda look like an idiot. I've enjoyed Vita Ayala in the past, but I hope they never work for Valiant again.

Heather Antos wanting to diversify the Valiant creator roster is an honorable enough venture, but for pete's sake woman hire people who actually know the characters.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Probably not the Trump thing, as I follow Trump and she has not blocked me.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

armlessphelan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:17:03 pm
It's nowhere near as bad as Acclaim X-O, which I'm currently reading out of morbid curiosity, but it's a sign that they aren't trying to keep the characters in-character.
Disagree, Mark Waid and Acclaim are much better than the drivel being produced at VEI right now. My opinion is based off the crap I saw in the Bloodshot back ups and even then I could it was not worth spending money on. On a positive note, I can recall back in 2004 wishing new Valiant was being produced....be careful what you wish for....

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Decided to get a copy from ComiXology as it was reduced in price , here’s my thoughts...

What the *SQUEE* was that!?? :o :!:

Congratulations to the writer who managed to write the worst issue of XO on the anniversary of the launch of VDitti’s classic 8 years ago.

This was bad AND boring!....

The ‘new’ Shanhara got old and tedious by page 3

Alien armours don’t say ‘oops’

Aric is a human being, he can’t throw basketballs with his human hand and break a backboard! Has the writer read any beck issues?

Now Aric can fly without the armour? WTF!?

The art was decent but seemed a bit more cartoony than I was expecting.

The only interesting thing in this book was that I learned basketball teams only have 5 players!! That is brand new information . :o

1/5 - Acclaim-taimos facepalm facepalm facepalm

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:53:56 pm Decided to get a copy from ComiXology as it was reduced in price , here’s my thoughts...

Congratulations to the writer who managed to write the worst issue of XO on the anniversary of the launch of VDitti’s classic 8 years ago.

Aric is a human being, he can’t throw basketballs with his human hand and break a backboard! Has the writer read any beck issues?

The only interesting thing in this book was that I learned basketball teams only have 5 players!! That is brand new information . :o

We tried to warn you facepalm

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:37:42 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:53:56 pm Decided to get a copy from ComiXology as it was reduced in price , here’s my thoughts...

You did, but it’s like driving past a car crash, you know you shouldn’t look but you can’t help yourself. XO #1 was indeed a multi-car pile up!

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:12:37 pm
hawkeyeps wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:37:42 pm

You did, but it’s like driving past a car crash, you know you shouldn’t look but you can’t help yourself. XO #1 was indeed a multi-car pile up!
:lol:

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

My shop just got its March 25th shipment in this week, so I finally got this in hand. I've heard the VCR comments and had read this thread, so expectations were super low.

The art is better than I expected. Not great, as there are numerous perspective and anatomy issues, but good enough. Certainly better than most recent DMG offerings.

The story and dialogue though. Even with super-low expectations and attempting to remove any previous X-O continuity (which they aren't actually doing in the book), this is a really, really annoying read. Aric being this dumb and unaware of the world is unbearable. Shanhara's sassiness almost works in the first couple pages until it doesn't and just becomes annoying. And if the dude doesn't understand the fundamentals of basketball, how is he getting a reference to podcasts? Is the Elon Musk type guy actually evil or is Shanhara almost as dumb as Aric and that was a legit rocket? She decides the guy she basically called a pedophile a few pages earlier can live with them? Aric roasted a deer in an alley of New Jersey (or is it NY?) and it goes unnoticed?

I'm not the biggest Hopeless/Hallum fan, but I've enjoyed some of his Marvel (especially Spider-Woman), and none of it was ever this bad, inexplicable, or inconsistent. This, like Psi-Lords, feels like editorial jumping in and rewriting stuff by committee.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I love when I walk away for a bit and then come back and read all these comments. So glad I was not alone in my thoughts. Fine book as a comic, but not a XO comic.

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:54:04 pm I'm not the biggest Hopeless/Hallum fan, but I've enjoyed some of his Marvel (especially Spider-Woman), and none of it was ever this bad, inexplicable, or inconsistent. This, like Psi-Lords, feels like editorial jumping in and rewriting stuff by committee.
It's because it seems most of the ideas behind the recreation of Aric was from editorial. Heather Antos (who is divisive on this board) did an interview where she pretty much said the new X-O series was one she pitched to the writer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHj55zEZwhc

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:20:19 pm
SwiftMann wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:54:04 pm I'm not the biggest Hopeless/Hallum fan, but I've enjoyed some of his Marvel (especially Spider-Woman), and none of it was ever this bad, inexplicable, or inconsistent. This, like Psi-Lords, feels like editorial jumping in and rewriting stuff by committee.
It's because it seems most of the ideas behind the recreation of Aric was from editorial. Heather Antos (who is divisive on this board) did an interview where she pretty much said the new X-O series was one she pitched to the writer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHj55zEZwhc
The lunatics have taken over the asylum facepalm

The sooner her ‘next opportunity ‘ comes and she leave Valiant the better. She’s one of those people with too much self esteem! Now she’s pitching stories ?!?!