Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How do you feel about Valiant in 2020

Poll ended at Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:04:26 pm

No, I’m super pumped by what the company is putting out
2%
I feel the same as I ever did
11%
I’m losing interest fast and it’s impacting my buying habits
33%
I’ve lost interest and buy few or no books any more
30%
Wake me up when the current regime have been replaced
13%
Fool stop talking this jibber jabber!
2%
Something different which I’ll put in the comments
9%

Total votes: 46

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Since the DMG buyout and subsequent editorial disaster after disaster, I’ve noticed a lessening interest in the books. For example, when new books are released there’s very little enthusiasm for posting comments, the most popular/positive thread lately seems to be about Dinesh’s new company ‘Bad Idea’, some new number #1 books have under 7k print runs and when people do bother to discuss books then the reviews are mostly poor to average (with Rai as an exception).

Seems to me we had our ‘angry stage’ with a lot of debate about the direction, politics and creators Valiant were choosing over the last couple of years but now we’re slowly sliding into something worse as a fan base...indifference. :|

What say you people?
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:04:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by BugsySig »

I’d say that’s pretty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

I still enjoy Valiant for the most part, but it's definitely not "must read". But I came into comics via Marvel and early Image, so until we get something along the lines of The Clone Saga or Youngblood, I'm fairly okay with the company's output. But being as broke as I am, I rely on this board to tell me which books are worth getting and which are worth skipping. I only play catch up on the missed stuff when Comixology has a sale.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I've lost some interest but still buy everything out of habit with the intention of catching up.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I have loved these characters since 1992 to present and want to see them reach their potentials in storytelling. I think this universe of characters has extreme depths of unique character, personalities, backgrounds, motivations, and relationship dynamics. So I'm just going to say I hope VEI puts out great stories.
***Support your local farmers!***

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

As of March 2020, I'm buying almost everything, but I'm losing interest fast, for a couple reasons.

1. I was hyped for #Valiant2020, but so far, it has been super disappointing. Q&W is nearly unreadable, X-O Manowar was bad, and while I really enjoyed Dr. Tomorrow, it's a huge departure from what I love about Valiant.
2. Bloodshot sucks. I lied to myself for months, and now I'm just angry. I would have been okay with a middle-of-the-road superhero book with crazy action. That's what I wanted out of this Bloodshot, and it didn't even satisfy me in that regard.
3. I have no interest in Final Witness, Bunn on Shadowman sounds boring, and Savage looks like cartoon-y crap,
4. The general direction of the line seems to be more cartoon-y and child-friendly, and there's more of a "normal," Marvel-esque, superhero feel to most books.

I'm just losing patience with them. I'm tired of spending money on books that I forget after a day and have to talk myself into liking. I think I'll probably continue giving Valiant chances, but I don't consider their books to be the #1 priority anymore.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13:55 pmI'm just losing patience with them. I'm tired of spending money on books that I forget after a day and have to talk myself into liking. I think I'll probably continue giving Valiant chances, but I don't consider their books to be the #1 priority anymore.
This!!!! facepalm :?
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

agent_graves wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:42:30 am
TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13:55 pmI'm just losing patience with them. I'm tired of spending money on books that I forget after a day and have to talk myself into liking. I think I'll probably continue giving Valiant chances, but I don't consider their books to be the #1 priority anymore.
This!!!! facepalm :?
I agree with this too. I think many (all?) of us *want* to like the books but it takes more and more mental gymnastics to convince ourselves that these books are an acceptable level. I’m doing this with The Visitor and keep telling myself the pay off will be worth the build up.

However, the comedic and cartoony output isn’t for me. Savage sounds bad and I doubt I’ll pick up the first issue until I hear the reviews.
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:13:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13:55 pm
2. Bloodshot sucks. I lied to myself for months, and now I'm just angry. I would have been okay with a middle-of-the-road superhero book with crazy action. That's what I wanted out of this Bloodshot, and it didn't even satisfy me in that regard.
Yes if did used to surprise me when you defended that book for a few months, I can see why now you’ve explained. I bought issues 0-7 and kept hoping it works improve but it was trash. When I heard the writer talk about his approach to writing then I knew it wasn’t going to get better so I’m out.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Super happy with Rai, looking forward to Punk Mambo returning.
Have always been an Xo fan, its what got me into valiant. I enjoyed acclaim Xo, and relaunch.
Not reading issue 2 of new release.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

I chose option #2 but I'm actually 1 or 2 (of 10) steps into the direction of #3. I'm a long distance runner. :lol:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I became indifferent when VH2 was a thing.

:|

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I've been with Valiant for about 30 years now. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's meh, sometimes it's not even there but I bleed Valiant.

Also, I am a bit of a dillweed.

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

At this point, Dynamite would be better off owning the characters. Sad story.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

depluto wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27:18 pm I've been with Valiant for about 30 years now. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's meh, sometimes it's not even there but I bleed Valiant.
This.

:high-five:

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13:55 pm
3. I have no interest in Final Witness, Bunn on Shadowman sounds boring, and Savage looks like cartoon-y crap,
When comics start getting distributed again, I would be willing to try Final Witness and Shadowman. I have enjoyed some of Bunn's other work, and would like to see his take on Shadowman.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

buff-beardo wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02:22 am At this point, Dynamite would be better off owning the characters. Sad story.
I must disagree. If Dynamite got the characters, we'd see something along the lines of Project Superpowers. A mini-series that introduced the characters, a few minis focused on the cornerstones like X-O and Bloodshot, and eventually the publisher would lose interest but still dribble out a mini-series here or there, maybe 6 issues in 3 years? 6 issues and 50 covers, but they would be some pretty covers.

It can always be worse. And I'd rather see Valiant in the hands of Heather Antos than in the hands of noted IP rights hustler and all-around flim-flam man Nicky B. Let's hope DMG doesn't ever play backalley craps games.

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22:55 pm
buff-beardo wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02:22 am At this point, Dynamite would be better off owning the characters. Sad story.
I must disagree. If Dynamite got the characters, we'd see something along the lines of Project Superpowers. A mini-series that introduced the characters, a few minis focused on the cornerstones like X-O and Bloodshot, and eventually the publisher would lose interest but still dribble out a mini-series here or there, maybe 6 issues in 3 years? 6 issues and 50 covers, but they would be some pretty covers.

It can always be worse. And I'd rather see Valiant in the hands of Heather Antos than in the hands of noted IP rights hustler and all-around flim-flam man Nicky B. Let's hope DMG doesn't ever play backalley craps games.
Dynamite only cares about relaunching Vampirella and Red Sonja every few years. I actually read Dynamite comics, and outside of their main two cash cows they're often mediocre in both quality and sales. Though, sometimes they give Dejah Thoris a push.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

tarheelmarine wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:41:34 am When comics start getting distributed again, I would be willing to try Final Witness and Shadowman. I have enjoyed some of Bunn's other work, and would like to see his take on Shadowman.
Agreed. Me too. :thumb:
***Support your local farmers!***

Benny_Decker
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong

Post by Benny_Decker »

I am a trade waiter, but occasionally buy a #1 issue to get a taste of a new series. I hadn't heard much about the new XO and figured that since I wouldn't be able to buy any new comics for the foreseeable future that I would check it out. Yikes...

I buy trades as they are released, then binge the whole series when the last one comes out. I have 2/3 of Livewire and I'm not sure that I SHOULD finish the set based upon what I have read and heard about the series. I was so excited for HW2 that I bought it in single issues... Another mistake. I feel like I am on a boat and can see an impending danger and have plenty of time to jump off and swim to safety. It is hard to believe because I am still reading quality Valiant books (just finished Vol 1 of Ninja-K and have the new Shadow Man waiting for me). I don't want to quit Valiant, but most of the reviews I am seeing for new books are grim, and if the new XO is an indication of the direction of Valiant then I have a choice to make.
Check out my Valiant YouTube channel called Valiant Victories: https://youtube.com/channel/UCap3ihoc_p22e3pogjO_znw

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Benny_Decker wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:18:10 am I am a trade waiter, but occasionally buy a #1 issue to get a taste of a new series. I hadn't heard much about the new XO and figured that since I wouldn't be able to buy any new comics for the foreseeable future that I would check it out. Yikes...

I buy trades as they are released, then binge the whole series when the last one comes out. I have 2/3 of Livewire and I'm not sure that I SHOULD finish the set based upon what I have read and heard about the series. I was so excited for HW2 that I bought it in single issues... Another mistake. I feel like I am on a boat and can see an impending danger and have plenty of time to jump off and swim to safety. It is hard to believe because I am still reading quality Valiant books (just finished Vol 1 of Ninja-K and have the new Shadow Man waiting for me). I don't want to quit Valiant, but most of the reviews I am seeing for new books are grim, and if the new XO is an indication of the direction of Valiant then I have a choice to make.
If I were you I definitely wouldn’t commit to trade buying on series which have been poorly reviewed in this site. If you listen to other sources such as Get Valiant then everything is good and a minimum of 3.75/5 so you can’t gauge good from bad. On here (generally) people say if it’s good and say if it’s bad.

Rai = trade wait yes
The Visitor = trade wait maybe, depending on how it ends
Everything else = do what you did for XO, but the first issue and see if you like it

Going forward I’m not even buying the first issue on some series until I’ve read reviews here from reliable sources. Savage #1 will be an example of that.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Maybe someone already said this, but man, your question is very assumptive. Your question was meant as ARE WE BECOMING INDIFFERENT TO NEW VALIANT OUTPUT?

Although I think we all know what you meant by the way you made your questions, and maybe I look just annoying, I just finished this morning my first (almost complete) read of VH1 Unity Saga (I'd read about half before because of missing issues)
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:10:25 am
Benny_Decker wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:18:10 am I am a trade waiter, but occasionally buy a #1 issue to get a taste of a new series. I hadn't heard much about the new XO and figured that since I wouldn't be able to buy any new comics for the foreseeable future that I would check it out. Yikes...

If I were you I definitely wouldn’t commit to trade buying on series which have been poorly reviewed in this site. If you listen to other sources such as Get Valiant then everything is good and a minimum of 3.75/5 so you can’t gauge good from bad. On here (generally) people say if it’s good and say if it’s bad.

Rai = trade wait yes
Everything else = do what you did for XO, but the first issue and see if you like it

Going forward I’m not even buying the first issue on some series until I’ve read reviews here from reliable sources. Savage #1 will be an example of that.
VCR always keeps it real.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:13:10 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:10:25 am

Rai = trade wait yes

VCR always keeps it real.
Exactamundo ...as a great man once said (I think)

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

I've been reading stories with these characters in them since the mid 90s and I still like what I read. I also think we're nowhere near as bad as the Acclaim material was.