Was everyone sleeping on this?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lobo
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Was everyone sleeping on this?

Post by lobo »

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Was everyone sleeping on this?

Post by magnus20009 »

Nope. I passed it by as it was a 9.6. I did win 3 other Valiant books in the two week auction and two Silver Age Solar.

lobo

Post by lobo »

magnus20009 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:42:34 pm Nope. I passed it by as it was a 9.6.
facepalm

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

lobo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53:28 pm
magnus20009 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:42:34 pm Nope. I passed it by as it was a 9.6.
facepalm
I have a raw copy already. If I buy second slabbed copies I look for 9.8. Also I do not really collect Acclaim slabs. I think I only have 2. Quantum and Woody #1 and Shadowman #1

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I haven't checked ComicLink in a while. I would have definitely drove that price higher. If the buyer is interested in making a profit, pm me.
***Support your local farmers!***

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

geocarr wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54:19 am I haven't checked ComicLink in a while. I would have definitely drove that price higher. If the buyer is interested in making a profit, pm me.
Agreed - I never really follow ComicLink auctions - that's definitely a case where being the only one to see the auction paid off well.

lobo

Post by lobo »

greg wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09:52 pm
geocarr wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54:19 am I haven't checked ComicLink in a while. I would have definitely drove that price higher. If the buyer is interested in making a profit, pm me.
Agreed - I never really follow ComicLink auctions - that's definitely a case where being the only one to see the auction paid off well.
It's also a case of being a collector with specific knowledge about Valiant variants that probably passed the notice of most seasoned comic collectors. The listing in the auctions feed mentions nothing about 'variant' or 'Glow in the Dark'. Comiclink is bad for not distinguishing the variants books (or signature books) and the regular versions and you have to click on the book details to see the full description and picture properly. I've seen it happen in many CLINK auctions over the years and not just with Valiant books.

And if it wasn't clear in my first post... yes, I'm the winning bidder. :D

BUT, I missed out out on another great deal a few days ago because I let myself get distracted at the time:

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item ... id=1400865

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09:52 pm
A comiclink employee reached out to me as I appear to be someone that spends a lot on Valiant stuff. He asked what he could do for me. I asked for better search functions. I'd spend thousands more at your site if you make a few simple functions, such as searching by publisher, or being able to watch auctions. His response:

" will mention the watch featured. It is one of the most requested features but not sure why we have not implemented one."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I've nabbed some nice deals on Comic Link in the past as well.
But that auction might've gone differently had it been a 9.8. Nothing wrong with a 9.6..... don't get me wrong, but I'm with Magnus on this one and I think a lot of collectors are too. I should add though that there are certain books and reasons that I'll go after 9.6's, but generally speaking being copper or newer means 9.8 by default for me, maybe with the exception of Harbinger #1, which I buy slabbed in the 9 family whenever I find a deal on it.

I also have a Bronze Nova #1 9.0+ hoard, but don't get me started on that.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

No, No, No, No, No :censored:

Do not do that. :!:

I like being one of the few people that buy the odd Valiant or Nintendo book that comes up on ComicLink. The less people who know about it the better.

ComicLink gets great prices for Marvel and DC keys but most other stuff slips through the cracks.

ComicLink never ever has any Valiant books and you would just be wasting your time looking there. All Valiant books are only available on eBay.

lobo

Post by lobo »

9.8 slabs may be the default for modern slab collecting but I'm surprised people would turn up their noses at a 9.6 of a book that is next to impossible to find raw never mind in grade. Check the census, there is only one 9.8 and 4 9.6s out of 14 books graded. Holding out for a 9.8 may be forever and chances are it will cost 15x to 20x more than this 9.6

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

lobo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:17:17 pm 9.8 slabs may be the default for modern slab collecting but I'm surprised people would turn up their noses at a 9.6 of a book that is next to impossible to find raw never mind in grade. Check the census, there is only one 9.8 and 4 9.6s out of 14 books graded. Holding out for a 9.8 may be forever and chances are it will cost 15x to 20x more than this 9.6
If I needed a raw copy of it for my collection I would have bought it and cracked it.

You got a good price on it. I watched the auction close. I paid more for my raw copy I think and I doubt it is in 9.6 condition.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

lobo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:17:17 pm 9.8 slabs may be the default for modern slab collecting but I'm surprised people would turn up their noses at a 9.6 of a book that is next to impossible to find raw never mind in grade. Check the census, there is only one 9.8 and 4 9.6s out of 14 books graded. Holding out for a 9.8 may be forever and chances are it will cost 15x to 20x more than this 9.6
Although I said what I said earlier about the market, I also agree with you on this. I've got fairly deep buying philosophies on grades, but it's so deep that getting into it is sort of complex. For example, I love the 9.4 grade in Silver age books and it's even better with WHITE pages. The 8.0 - 8.5 VF books are great ways to get int Silver Age keys or 1st appearances and those grades are endlessly saleable as well.

The point is that experienced collectors will begin to figure out how to use the grading tiers advantageously. I'd say you used the Shadowman copy advantageously. :thumb:

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Greg has posited in the past that when it comes to Acclaim, a 9.6 is like a VH1 9.8 because there were so fewer of them and they were in general treated with less care over the years.

He posited this very far in the past, not sure the numbers over time have backed him up across the board, across the accompanying grading company evolution. But I do have to agree on a really scarce book like the GoTD, there is a "price of entry" that is not directly tied to condition. I would expect CGC VF/NM range copies to all sell for about the same, like a raw copy would.

I also see how a raw copy would do until that 9.8 came along. I like both sides of this discussion. :D

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I’ve also been a believer that a 9.6 Acclaim or VEI book is like a 9.8 V1 book. I love grabbing cheap Acclaim 9.6s.

This Shadowman 9.6 is a $150 book. It’s a hard one to find raw. Maybe it’s worth a press.

ckb

Post by ckb »

I think the glow dust on the cover would make this impossible to fully press. Maybe spot press.

geocarr
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

ckb wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28:45 am I think the glow dust on the cover would make this impossible to fully press. Maybe spot press.
That's interesting. I hadn't thought about that but I bet you're right.
***Support your local farmers!***

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

I didn't even consider that book, because 1) I already have a pristine raw copy of it, and 2) I was so busy tracking the CGC 9.8 2018 Shadowman 1 Metal edition beneath it.

The other books I bid on this week were the three copies of Harbinger 1 (QR code). 9.6 (signed), 9.6 and 9.4.

I was the underbidder on all three. They sold for $62, $46 and $27, respectively, vs. FMV of about $85, $70, & $50.

Sure, then there's shipping and tax - but that's still say...$40 all-in on the slabbed 9.4 -- cheaper than raw NMs cost on eBay.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

This makes me look like an idiot because I paid $150 for a 9.0 in Greg's G20 sale 3 years ago.

A happy idiot I might add. :lol:

$26 for a 9.6!?! :o

You're one lucky bast.......CONGRATS! :thumb:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.