Dr Tomorrow #3 (2020)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Dr Tomorrow #3 (2020)

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

What’s was the big plot twist? That the older Dr Tomorrow was a bad guy? :? That’s it ? Or was it because another Dr Tomorrow appears at the end or is that the kid become older?

Someone explain what was so good about this issue because I’m not getting it?

My take is that first time writer gets to do a whole Valiant cross-over in this Valiant-lite kid’s book. Cartoony art with as many characters packed into the background serving no purpose whatsoever.

Nice touch with the ‘man of the atom’ comment but ruined with the awkward art showing Armstrong ‘shrugging his shoulders’ or something weird with his tiny hands. That looked like the hands were tagged on as an after thought.

If this this is aimed at kids then maybe it should have been an elseworlds tale like Valiant High, but as a continuity book to compete with Harbinger Wars and Armour Hunters as a multi-character event then this was poor and a wasted opportunity (like The Valiant #3, Harbinger Wars #2).

2.75/5 - don’t believe the hype

Sunlight on Snow
Re: Dr Tomorrow #3 (2020)

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:54:46 pm Someone explain what was so good about this issue because I’m not getting it?
Oh, come on, cheer up a little. It's the first book after the lock down. What's not amazing about it? Valiant continues to be mediocre.

It could be so much worse!
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:54:46 pm Nice touch with the ‘man of the atom’ comment but ruined with the awkward art showing Armstrong ‘shrugging his shoulders’ or something weird with his tiny hands. That looked like the hands were tagged on as an after thought.
Oh, come on, it looks halfway-GUB GUB. :lol:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:54:46 pm Someone explain what was so good about this issue because I’m not getting it?
Well, on second thought, the guy said it was "amazing". LOL.

I'm not getting it either. What's really going on?!? The stories about their deceased mothers.... :?

Is Hadrian supposed to be just another version of Doctor Tomorrow?

And why exactly is the character called after the Roman Emperor (who built a wall to protect the empire)? This Hadrian is doing the very opposite, no?

Who's the guy (DocTom) at the very end? His suit is different from the others. The chest plate and belt look like the ones from Bart Simms' suit, but the color of the arms and legs look like the ones from DocTom's suit. He's certainly not one of them. Totally confusing.

The 3 different Barts can actually be seen on the character design wraparound variant of issue #1.

He looks like a nice guy. So maybe he's the Bart Simms/Doctor Tomorrow from the timeline in which his mother survived......or he's the ultimate bad guy. Having said this, I cannot wait for the next issue. Basically, because there won't be much Valiant until then....thanks to the best ever publishing strategy.

Last not least, this is taken from one of the early teasers:

"In a time of such strife and uncertainty, it's heartening to be reminded that we have it in us to be the hero, if we try." -- Kelly Sue DeConnick

Wow, did she know what was about to happen this year?

"Both super and human; the superior way to do this." -- Kieron Gillen

How much do they pay these people?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:33:42 am
Oh, come on, cheer up a little. It's the first book after the lock down. What's not amazing about it? Valiant continues to be mediocre.

It could be so much worse!
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:54:46 pm Nice touch with the ‘man of the atom’ comment but ruined with the awkward art showing Armstrong ‘shrugging his shoulders’ or something weird with his tiny hands. That looked like the hands were tagged on as an after thought.
Oh, come on, it looks halfway-GUB GUB. :lol:
Well, on second thought, the guy said it was "amazing". LOL.

I'm not getting it either. What's really going on?!? The stories about their deceased mothers.... :?

Is Hadrian supposed to be just another version of Doctor Tomorrow?

And why exactly is the character called after the Roman Emperor (who built a wall to protect the empire)? This Hadrian is doing the very opposite, no?

Who's the guy (DocTom) at the very end? His suit is different from the others. The chest plate and belt look like the ones from Bart Simms' suit, but the color of the arms and legs look like the ones from DocTom's suit. He's certainly not one of them. Totally confusing.

The 3 different Barts can actually be seen on the character design wraparound variant of issue #1.

He looks like a nice guy. So maybe he's the Bart Simms/Doctor Tomorrow from the timeline in which his mother survived......or he's the ultimate bad guy. Having said this, I cannot wait for the next issue. Basically, because there won't be much Valiant until then....thanks to the best ever publishing strategy.

Last not least, this is taken from one of the early teasers:

"In a time of such strife and uncertainty, it's heartening to be reminded that we have it in us to be the hero, if we try." -- Kelly Sue DeConnick

Wow, did she know what was about to happen this year?

"Both super and human; the superior way to do this." -- Kieron Gillen

How much do they pay these people?
Haha Armstrong did look like Gub Gub :lol:

I think because the writer is an ex-editor he’s getting a lot of over the top praise (and opportunity) with this book that so far has been pretty average. Unless the Intended audience is under 12’s, then you’d have to ask one of them. I think that might be the case as the editor who just left said he wanted a book he could give to kids at conventions...guess that’s not happening now!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I thought it was another solid entry. Is it a bit YA? Yeah. Is that not for everyone? Yeah. But taking it for what it is, it’s still probably one of the best books other than Rai that DMG Valiant has done so far.

I did think the art took a step back this issue, and the pace was very fast and made for a quick read.

Hadrian is still a villain (and he explains why he was given that nickname), even if he had a well intentioned ultimate goal. Doctor Tomorrow is also potentially a bad guy, but seems to think he can do the good thing without destroying any universes in the process...just vaporizing a few children along the way, I guess...It’s not a HUGE twist—The double swerve has been done a million times before—but I didn’t necessarily see it coming, so it was at least set up well.

I’d also say the DT at the end is this world’s Bart Simms, just grown up. I assume we will see a future Neela pulling him from the timeline so he can train himself to a point where he can beat “Red Skull” DT.

Still looking forward to how the rest of the series goes. Three more issues can cover a lot of ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Can you imagine Marvel or DC giving a novice writer the keys to write all of their characters in the first book they’d written? I think it shows a lack of respect for the Valiant U and fans that the editors can green light a story like this to a writer without a proven track record. Wouldn’t a one shot or 4 issue mini with a B level character be more appropriate until the writer has proven themselves?

Was there any point in having the entire Valiant U just making up the numbers in the background doing not much? The story just doesn’t have the impact to warrant use of Valiant’s entire A cast.

Editorial are driven by ‘what does the writer feel like writing’. Not, what’s the best thing for the long term planning of a connected universe or what do the people who pay money to buy the books actually want.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Can you imagine Marvel or DC giving a novice writer the keys to write all of their characters in the first book they’d written? I think it shows a lack of respect for the Valiant U and fans that the editors can green light a story like this to a writer without a proven track record. Wouldn’t a one shot or 4 issue mini with a B level character be more appropriate until the writer has proven themselves?

Was there any point in having the entire Valiant U just making up the numbers in the background doing not much? The story just doesn’t have the impact to warrant use of Valiant’s entire A cast.

Editorial are driven by ‘what does the writer feel like writing’. Not, what’s the best thing for the long term planning of a connected universe or what do the people who pay money to buy the books actually want.
You’re complaining for the sake of complaining. You can’t seem to decide if you want them to be used or not. This was never pitched as an event series, nor is it supposed to be, so it’s not treated as one. There’s no useless one-shot tie ins or major use of the characters that’s damaging them in any way. They’re not even featured on any of the covers! Having the VU characters there, even in the background, gives weight to the danger. It advances the story. They did the same thing in Faith and the FF. The “novice writer” isn’t even writing anything for them...they’re just there fighting. It’s not like they were reinventing Unity or something. Idk. You’re taking this as some sort of affront to your fandom and it’s just not.

Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:08:14 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Can you imagine Marvel or DC giving a novice writer the keys to write all of their characters in the first book they’d written? I think it shows a lack of respect for the Valiant U and fans that the editors can green light a story like this to a writer without a proven track record. Wouldn’t a one shot or 4 issue mini with a B level character be more appropriate until the writer has proven themselves?

You’re complaining for the sake of complaining. You can’t seem to decide if you want them to be used or not. This was never pitched as an event series, nor is it supposed to be, so it’s not treated as one. There’s no useless one-shot tie ins or major use of the characters that’s damaging them in any way. They’re not even featured on any of the covers! Having the VU characters there, even in the background, gives weight to the danger. It advances the story. They did the same thing in Faith and the FF. The “novice writer” isn’t even writing anything for them...they’re just there fighting. It’s not like they were reinventing Unity or something. Idk. You’re taking this as some sort of affront to your fandom and it’s just not.

How about this...I’d like the cast of Valiant characters used in a story that warrants their appearance writer by a proven writer.
Faith and the Ff was exactly like this...throwaway use of a multi -character story (as was The Valiant #3 which was by 2 good writers so it’s not just new writers who drop the ball).
Is the ‘new normal‘ mediocrity that we have to pretend is Valiant worthy that can’t be called out?

Sunlight on Snow

Having reread the entire 3 issues I have to admit....the story isn't bad at all. I missed out quite a few details the first time.

Like I kinda ignored the fact that Hadrian was given the name by young Bart who admired him.

Hadrian actually is another Bart Simms who had lost his mother, too. Right?

DT is the Bart Simms from the universe in which cancer was cured and his mother continued to live. He actually says it! It was destroyed by one of Hadrian's first experiments. Maybe it was the one seen exploding in the first issue--2 orbs can be seen before the vacuum decay. DT's obviously after Hadrian to take revenge and he isn't really caring about this universe and young Bart Simms either. Not sure what Hadrian's real motivation is though?

I also believe we have yet to see the "real" Valiant Universe because Rex the Razer's not supposed to be there.

Maybe the Bart Simms at the end of this issue is the one from "our" VU?
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:20:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunlight on Snow

DOUBLE POST. WEIRD. DELETED.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17:21 am

How about this...I’d like the cast of Valiant characters used in a story that warrants their appearance writer by a proven writer.
Faith and the Ff was exactly like this...throwaway use of a multi -character story (as was The Valiant #3 which was by 2 good writers so it’s not just new writers who drop the ball).
Is the ‘new normal‘ mediocrity that we have to pretend is Valiant worthy that can’t be called out?
So you have developed a unique contrivance to not like certain "fun"/super-hero style books. It's fine for you, but it is in no way a valid, objective argument against the quality of any book.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:53:37 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17:21 am

So you have developed a unique contrivance to not like certain "fun"/super-hero style books. It's fine for you, but it is in no way a valid, objective argument against the quality of any book.
Have you even read the book?

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Christian, Rucker, and DBS on OTV/VCR episode 245!

We discuss Doctor Tomorrow #3! Get some! :thumb:

http://onlythevaliant.com/

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14:27 pm Have you even read the book?
Yes. And I commented about it in the original thread discussing this issue.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow

DirtbagSailor wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:12:58 pm Christian, Rucker, and DBS on OTV/VCR episode 245!

35 minutes for just 1 issue!!! I expect an in-depth analysis of each and every character.....

Sunlight on Snow

"post apocalypse" :lol:

"the first PC book" :lol:

"spoiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiler--I'm out of air--pause" :lol:

Fun episode thus far!

According to Comichron, Q&W #3 sold 8 more copies than DT #2. Just saying.....

How far up north is Canada from SoCal? :hm:

I guess the episode could have been concluded after the first 15 minutes.

For the next episode please do a COVID-19 spoiler pause, too.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:12:58 pm Christian, Rucker, and DBS on OTV/VCR episode 245!

Great OTV episode again...some much needed truth bombs dropped.

@dbs - not sure it’s a valid way to score a book by pretending it’s not part of continuity when it clearly is intended to be? If Dr Tomorrow was its own thing (like Valiant High) then I’d be on board, but that’s not the case here and with that in mind why drop expectations? :?

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42:30 pm

@dbs - not sure it’s a valid way to score a book by pretending it’s not part of continuity when it clearly is intended to be? If Dr Tomorrow was its own thing (like Valiant High) then I’d be on board, but that’s not the case here and with that in mind why drop expectations? :?
There are only two possible options here:

1. It is NOT part of continuity, because it is not possible that it could be in that none of the characters are acting, performing, or behaving as they should. Perhaps Doctor Tomorrow is part of the Dead Drop or A&A continuity?

2. It IS part of continuity, and editorial is not even trying any more.

I do not dislike this series, but I also do not see how it could possibly be part of the regular Valiant Universe.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

It was ok, far from amazing. The gathering of Valiant heroes really falls flat, and hasn’t been done well by Valiant as a whole yet. Still, I love Neela’s inclusion, and I think overall it’s been a pretty decent mini so far.... :hm:

Had to snatch up one of the Peach Momoko virgin variants with that limited print run.. :thumb:
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:52:54 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42:30 pm

There are only two possible options here:

1. It is NOT part of continuity, because it is not possible that it could be in that none of the characters are acting, performing, or behaving as they should. Perhaps Doctor Tomorrow is part of the Dead Drop or A&A continuity?

2. It IS part of continuity, and editorial is not even trying any more.

I do not dislike this series, but I also do not see how it could possibly be part of the regular Valiant Universe.
I don’t think it’s that editorial are not trying, I just think they’re not up to the job and some are following their own agenda, with giving the fans what they want a low priority.

Why else would a company allow an existing hardcore fan base to wither away in order to ‘amplify voices’, let creators do what they want and to chase an imaginary group of new readers which has not yet shown itself to exist?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Just stated reading the first volume of ‘Black Science’, anyone else read it cos I think the writer of Dr Tomorrow probably has!! :roll:

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

agent_graves wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:04:07 pm It was ok.... far from amazing.... really falls flat..... hasn’t been done well..... pretty decent ….
Removing the other words from your post, I was left wondering if you really think the mini has been "pretty decent" or if you're just trying to convince yourself because you want it to be. I'm not trying to insult you or anything and, unfortunately, I think there are others in this boat with you.
***Support your local farmers!***

Sunlight on Snow

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:54:03 pm Just stated reading the first volume of ‘Black Science’, anyone else read it cos I think the writer of Dr Tomorrow probably has!! :roll:
Couldn't even get through the first issue but that was years ago. I only remember darkness, an irritating Toy Story vibe, weird creatures, lightning, a Mayan pyramid, and lots of narrative I didn't care about. :lol:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:15:25 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:54:03 pm Just stated reading the first volume of ‘Black Science’, anyone else read it cos I think the writer of Dr Tomorrow probably has!! :roll:
Couldn't even get through the first issue but that was years ago. I only remember darkness, an irritating Toy Story vibe, weird creatures, lightning, a Mayan pyramid, and lots of narrative I didn't care about. :lol:
Yeah the first issue wasn’t great and a bit of a slog..it gets better and clearer from issue 2 or 3. It’s improving each issue. Not blowing me away but not much else to read at the moment so am branching out.

Very ‘similar’ to the themes in Dr Tomorrow!

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

geocarr wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:21:25 pm
agent_graves wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:04:07 pm It was ok.... far from amazing.... really falls flat..... hasn’t been done well..... pretty decent ….
Removing the other words from your post, I was left wondering if you really think the mini has been "pretty decent" or if you're just trying to convince yourself because you want it to be. I'm not trying to insult you or anything and, unfortunately, I think there are others in this boat with you.
Ehhh, a little bit of both... :?

No offense taken... :thumb:
#StayValiant

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:58:31 am How far up north is Canada from SoCal? :hm:
I think the southernmost tip of Ontario is actually a bit further south than the northern border of California, believe it or not...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;