Dr Tomorrow #4 (2020)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Dr Tomorrow #4 (2020)

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Quick recap of where we’re at.

Former Valiant editor and first time writer is allowed to write VEI’s first multi-verse story and cram in all of Valiant’s characters for no apparent reason.

Former senior editor, Robert Meyers, wanted a book he could give to kids at conventions. So now we now have this book with art seemingly to appeal to under 12’s but with a slightly convoluted story about Dr Tomorrow, a new character, that we’re suppose to care about in this story that could effect trillions of people across multiple universes where different versions of himself keep showing up and doing battle.

Difficult to care about this book, the character has no history in the Valiant U so therefore there’s no emotional connection as to why this matters. Wallpapering all of the A list characters into the background doesn’t add impact it just lessens bringing all the characters together.

Not a very interesting read and that last panel was cringingly cliched (is this Valiant’s Peter Parker?).

2.5/5 - read Black Science for how this story can be done much more interestingly

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Dr Tomorrow #4 (2020)

Post by SwiftMann »

I was good with the writing on this until the turn at the end. Kid is worried his dad will "come looking for him" but upon learning he goes back to the same moment in time chooses to age 10(?) years before returning? Pretty sure dad is going to be more upset about that. That's just a stupid plot decision by everyone in the book and the writing.

Then there's the art, which, stylistically speaking, I have no problem with. I actually prefer more comic booky/cartoony/fluid art in general. BUT, he has Hadrian's suit when he arrives? I guess. It's in Gretchen's apartment all the sudden. We never set before that. Then when she "yoinks" the purple tube from Bart on page 10 we NEVER saw anyone with that before that panel. That's just bad storytelling, no matter the art style.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:21:04 pm I was good with the writing on this until the turn at the end. Kid is worried his dad will "come looking for him" but upon learning he goes back to the same moment in time chooses to age 10(?) years before returning? Pretty sure dad is going to be more upset about that. That's just a stupid plot decision by everyone in the book and the writing.

Then there's the art, which, stylistically speaking, I have no problem with. I actually prefer more comic booky/cartoony/fluid art in general. BUT, he has Hadrian's suit when he arrives? I guess. It's in Gretchen's apartment all the sudden. We never set before that. Then when she "yoinks" the purple tube from Bart on page 10 we NEVER saw anyone with that before that panel. That's just bad storytelling, no matter the art style.
I don’t remember him mentioning his dad in this issue (maybe I zoned out). If this book was aimed at all ages then I don’t think it’s an easy story to follow.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:21:04 pm BUT, he has Hadrian's suit when he arrives? I guess.
Pretty sure that's not just his suit but Hadrian being dead in his suit and having his face covered.

Bart says "I figured...maybe the control on his suit could backtrack." Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to find Hadrian's alternate universe and Gretchen. That actually makes sense. As for the vile: It would have certainly better to see Bart holding it first, or somebody taking it from Hardrian's suit.

It's a pretty weird story but the weirdest thing is this.....

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-book ... tomorrow/4

8.7 out of 10 -- is everybody out of their mind?

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:16:24 pm
SwiftMann wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:21:04 pm I was good with the writing on this until the turn at the end. Kid is worried his dad will "come looking for him" but upon learning he goes back to the same moment in time chooses to age 10(?) years before returning? Pretty sure dad is going to be more upset about that. That's just a stupid plot decision by everyone in the book and the writing.

I don’t remember him mentioning his dad in this issue (maybe I zoned out). If this book was aimed at all ages then I don’t think it’s an easy story to follow.
Page 10
Bart: When my dad gets home, he won't know where I am! And I have to get back before Doctor Tomorrow blows up the universe!
Gretchen: There's no rush. The transponder in your suit will take you back home the very second you left.

This is rated T+. I feel like you are leaping to this "all ages" idea because of the art style, which isn't the case.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:03:44 pm

Page 10
Bart: When my dad gets home, he won't know where I am! And I have to get back before Doctor Tomorrow blows up the universe!
Gretchen: There's no rush. The transponder in your suit will take you back home the very second you left.

This is rated T+. I feel like you are leaping to this "all ages" idea because of the art style, which isn't the case.
The all ages thing comes from an interview Robert Meyers gave about a kid at a convention and he wanted a book he could hand to all ages.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Page 10

The all ages thing comes from an interview Robert Meyers gave about a kid at a convention and he wanted a book he could hand to all ages.
Well *SQUEE*. Maybe we should round up all the copies and burn them? How dare he attempt to reach an audience beyond the current crop of readers!

I know it’s the only book coming out right now from VALIANT and that sucks that it’s not a traditional VU tentpole...but come on...give the unreasonable negativity a rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30:38 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Page 10

Well *SQUEE*. Maybe we should round up all the copies and burn them? How dare he attempt to reach an audience beyond the current crop of readers!

I know it’s the only book coming out right now from VALIANT and that sucks that it’s not a traditional VU tentpole...but come on...give the unreasonable negativity a rest.

Aside from Rai and LADOTH how many books in the last 2 years were aimed at the current crop of readers??

Our interest what demographic is this book aimed at ? Have you even read it?

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:30:45 pm

Page 10

Well, that's not what this book is at all. I certainly wouldn't give this to my 10 year old who loves Sonic and Disney comics. And less so about whether or not its easy to follow. I think he'd generally track it (he gets all the Sonic nonsense that's gone on for the last few years). This series is way too violent for him.

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Page 10

Aside from Rai and LADOTH how many books in the last 2 years were aimed at the current crop of readers??

Yes i *SQUEE* read it. It’s fine. It’s not great, but it’s a perfectly average comic book that some people here like. We all know you just hang around here *SQUEE* about everything DMG Valiant puts out. If you don’t like a story or art, fine, but why is it so *SQUEE* personal to you that a senior editor said he wanted a book that could appeal to all ages? Afraid everyone isn’t pandering to the middle-aged white man anymore? The whole reason DMG took ownership of VEI was because they weren’t successful enough to pay off their debts. So why not do something different? I get that stuff has sucked...but it’s not because it’s different, it’s because the writing and art suck. So just say that and then go read something from Image or Boom that maybe you’ll like...

Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06:08 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Page 10

Yes i *SQUEE* read it. It’s fine. It’s not great, but it’s a perfectly average comic book that some people here like. We all know you just hang around here *SQUEE* about everything DMG Valiant puts out. If you don’t like a story or art, fine, but why is it so *SQUEE* personal to you that a senior editor said he wanted a book that could appeal to all ages? Afraid everyone isn’t pandering to the middle-aged white man anymore? The whole reason DMG took ownership of VEI was because they weren’t successful enough to pay off their debts. So why not do something different? I get that stuff has sucked...but it’s not because it’s different, it’s because the writing and art suck. So just say that and then go read something from Image or Boom that maybe you’ll like...

I think you hastily grabbed a copy on Comixology and you wouldn’t have bought it until I challenged you on it. I’ll also say I support good books and the reviews (which I mostly initiate these days) will prove that eg Rai, LADOTH and FCBD 2020. I don’t recall you reviewing many books, do you even read bro?

You talk about me taking it personally that they don’t cater for white middle aged readers even though that’s essentially the vast majority of comic readers and probably people on this site.

You wonder why after supporting a company for many many years and spending god knows how much money on its product that I don’t just walk away because it’s ‘changed’ (or sucks to use your words)? I assume you like football or basketball. Imagine supporting a team over many years then a new coach comes in and they start losing game after game. There’s an emotional attachment. You don’t just go walk away and start supporting the Washington Beavers or whoever.

Your issue is the opposite. Your white guilt complex means you’re happy for any old *SQUEE* as long as it’s not for straight, white males. You would rather have ‘change’ and see the company fail in the name of (fake) progressiveness, just so you can feel good and ease that pesky guilt.

I think you just like to criticise anyone who doesn’t blindly accept a lesser product with open arms or drink the DMG cool aid I think is the phrase. Just let go of the guilt, you don’t need to carry it and call the books how you honestly see them (if do you actually buy them).

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Agreed. I've struggled as well with negativity in general since we're all going through this crazy pandemic together...but seriously folks, find the light and the joy in what we have. I'm enjoying this title and appreciate when things are approached differently with new/existing characters.
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:37:46 am
BugsySig wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06:08 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:03:44 pm .
Well *SQUEE*. come on...give the unreasonable negativity a rest.
?
Afraid everyone isn’t pandering to the middle-aged white man anymore?
I think you just like to criticise anyone who doesn’t blindly accept a lesser product with open arms or drink the DMG cool aid I think is the phrase. Just let go of the guilt, you don’t need to carry it and call the books how you honestly see them (if do you actually buy them).
Oh for crying out loud! And dare I ask, what fake progressive ness offended you so wildly in the comic? I think it's pretty clear that Gretchen being in a lesbian relationship would fit the bill, but you don't even mention much about THE COMIC. I admit I rolled my eyes at that, at first, but I accept it, especially because it isn't presented as "preachy" just as "well, there it is"

Well, there it is.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I actually have enjoyed Doctor Tomorrow so far.

It is certainly not historically aligned with what we are familiar with or have come to expect from Valiant; however, I do not dislike the book the same way I did Psi-Lords and Dead Drop.

I would have loved this book as a kid, and sort of look forward to what comes next in issue #5 as an adult.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

All the time travel mojo was wrecking my old brain, but I really liked the other/older Gretchen. :lol:

It’s been a decent little mini, and while that’s not saying much, this is the current state of Valiant! :?
#StayValiant

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

agent_graves wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:19:33 pm All the time travel mojo was wrecking my old brain, but I really liked the other/older Gretchen. :lol:
I'd like to read the books she wrote....will write.......will have written. :hm: