Bloodshot / XO Continuity

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
Bloodshot / XO Continuity

Post by Jrosen »

Ok, before people scream continuity is dead, let's assume...err...pretend....that continuity is still an ongoing focus at VEI....DMG. My question is, where would you slide the newest Bloodshot and XO books into the continuity.

Starting with Bloodshot, XO makes an appearance in #8 with his old armor, so it has to take place either before he goes and fights the Cadmium or after he comes back to Earth. I don't recall that XO says anything that refers to Matt Kindt's story arc. Bloodshot #11 has a reference to the ending of Bloodshot Salvation, which suggests that it comes after Matt Kindt's XO series, and Bloodshot #12 shows XO in his new armor. Throughout the series they refer to the events in Bloodshot USA. It also refers to Kay as being his last love, which may have been needed to tie into Bloodshot USA, but it completely leaves out Magic and his daughter, which are in Bloodshot Salvation.

Looking for continuity, I'm thinking 1-9 would fall after Bloodshot USA but before Salvation, and Bloodshot 10-12 would come after Salvation.

For X0, XO #1 mentions that it takes place 1 year after the last Vine Invasion, which would be a year after XO #50. I guess the Kindt series can be that filler, assuming he leaves Earth almost immediately after he saves it. The new XO series doesn't talk at all about his life fighting the Cadmium and it leaves out his Saana. I don't think XO showed up in any series or miniseries since Kindt's storyarc.

So, looking at this, I have

Bloodshot USA 1-4
Bloodshot (2020) 1- 9
Bloodshot Salvation 1-12
XO Manowar (2017) 1-26
XO Manowar (2021) 1-4
Bloodshot (2020) 10-12

I'm still going through my notes on where Shadowman (2018) and Rai (2020) fit within the Salvation time period, since Salvation includes time in Deadside and 4002 AD. Any help on that would be appreciated!

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Bloodshot / XO Continuity

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

The current X-O would beautifully fit into the trash can. Next to Savage. Continuity right there!

Sunlight on Snow

On a more serious note, Seeley's Bloodshot certainly takes place after HW2.

X-O returns to Earth during HW2.....and his story is then continued in Kindt's run.

No idea, how Aric got from being in New Dacia (Western Nebraska) with Schon to being in NYC alone?!? :?

It just makes no sense.

It almost feels like Kindt never read anything of Venditti's run and that #Hopeless guy never read anything from the Kindt run.

For years it looked like Shadowman couldn't really be solved by VEI.

Now it looks like X-O Manowar needs some serious fixing.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:50:40 am The current X-O would beautifully fit into the trash can. Next to Savage. Continuity right there!
:funnypost:

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:05:22 pm On a more serious note, Seeley's Bloodshot certainly takes place after HW2.

X-O returns to Earth during HW2.....and his story is then continued in Kindt's run.

No idea, how Aric got from being in New Dacia (Western Nebraska) with Schon to being in NYC alone?!? :?

It just makes no sense.

It almost feels like Kindt never read anything of Venditti's run and that #Hopeless guy never read anything from the Kindt run.

For years it looked like Shadowman couldn't really be solved by VEI.

Now it looks like X-O Manowar needs some serious fixing.

What makes you think that the whole series takes place after HW2? I guess you can call out Bloodshot's metamorphosis, and if I recall correctly, he did sprout wings like he did in HW2. But Bloodshot was able to change his facial features all the way back before HW1. So you could assume he always had the ability, even if he didn't use it until HW2.

I do agree that HW2 splits XO (2017). I have HW2 slotted either after #14, the next arc is a flashback, or before #19. The whole NYC thing alone is really out-of-continuity, and before I read issue 3, I had the new XO series taking place before Kindt's series. The new armor forced a change there. I guess you can make the argument that he ditched Schon in the same way Kindt had Aric ditch Saana.

That said, I didn't mind the banter with Shanhara, but I can see why it's hated in this group. I didn't understand why XO wouldn't have known about nanites. He's been interacting with Bloodshot since Unity was created.

Sunlight on Snow

Jrosen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14:04 pm What makes you think that the whole series takes place after HW2? I guess you can call out Bloodshot's metamorphosis, and if I recall correctly, he did sprout wings like he did in HW2. But Bloodshot was able to change his facial features all the way back before HW1. So you could assume he always had the ability, even if he didn't use it until HW2.
Facts.

Seeley's story starts with the G7 summit in Biarritz, France, that was held in August 2019. Boom!

Also, the international port of Hodeida hadn't been under UN control before beginning of 2019.

Then there's the flashback page in Bloodshot (2019) #0 that makes it very clear that zero issue is set between HW2 and the beginning of Seeley's story.
Jrosen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14:04 pm That said, I didn't mind the banter with Shanhara, but I can see why it's hated in this group. I didn't understand why XO wouldn't have known about nanites. He's been interacting with Bloodshot since Unity was created.
You should mind bad writing and dialogues though, and even worse art.

Pretty sure Aric knows about nanites but not about a "G.D. Nanite Swarm" that doesn't look anything like the F. Nanites...

...but the friggin' smoke monster from LOST; in GREEN.

Imagine drawing an elephant and the outcome is a green mouse. :?

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:50:40 am The current X-O would beautifully fit into the trash can. Next to Savage. Continuity right there!
I don't know, I would not put rotten fruit in my trash, makes it stink. Maybe put a bunch of rotten fruit on top of the "NU XO" and then bury in the yard somewhere.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net