Identifying JC Penney Variants

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Identifying JC Penney Variants

Post by grendeljd »

Anyone here know much about the JC Penny reprint comics from the 90’s? I’ve been picking away at collecting the Neal Adams X-Men issues and did not realize that some of them were reprinted in the 90’s… I’m a little concerned about accidentally paying too much and ending up with one of those instead of the originals. Seems hard to tell from the few photos I’ve seen of them… I’d like to know what to look out for if anyone can enlighten me!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Identifying JC Penny Variants

Post by SwiftMann »

Easiest way to tell is the UPC boxes on the later issues. All the JCP ones have swinging Spider-Man 30th anniversary boxes.

For the Adams era reprints, it's all about the ads. Modern ads throughout and an X-Men animated (I think) video tapes as on the back covers.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

There is an Iron Man vol 1 variant from the Armor Wars II era that I've been looking for for years.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:41:35 pm Easiest way to tell is the UPC boxes on the later issues. All the JCP ones have swinging Spider-Man 30th anniversary boxes.

For the Adams era reprints, it's all about the ads. Modern ads throughout and an X-Men animated (I think) video tapes as on the back covers.
Thanks man, that’s a big help. I had seen a few of the reprint Adam’s X-Men issues listed on eBay that *did* state they were JC Penny reprints - but they didn’t show any pictures except for the front cover, which seems to be a totally faithful reprint of the original one without even a modern price.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

My understanding is that they interior advertisements are "modern" to when the JCP edition was published - so the ads are different inside from the original printings.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:06:21 pm My understanding is that they interior advertisements are "modern" to when the JCP edition was published - so the ads are different inside from the original printings.
I’ll keep an eye out for listings that only show the front and back covers at the very least on eBay. It’s actually pretty unusual that a ‘modern’ reprint didn’t change anything on the cover - especially the price. Were these all free giveaways at the time? That’s the only reason I can think of offhand for not changing the cover price.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:50:31 pm Were these all free giveaways at the time? That’s the only reason I can think of offhand for not changing the cover price.
I THINK they were catalog only sets.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06:36 pm I THINK they were catalog only sets.
That's my understanding as well.....

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:21:40 am
SwiftMann wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06:36 pm I THINK they were catalog only sets.
That’s interesting - although I’m not entirely sure I understand what you guys mean by catalog only sets? Did they come with JC Penny catalogues, or do you mean something like Diamond Distributors of the era?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

grendeljd wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:02:12 pm
IMJ wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:21:40 am
That’s interesting - although I’m not entirely sure I understand what you guys mean by catalog only sets? Did they come with JC Penny catalogues, or do you mean something like Diamond Distributors of the era?
My understanding is that you could order a "Pack of Comic Books" from the Christmas catalog as a Christmas Present. The pack had however many books, I don't know, but they were all reprints of older comics with new ads on the ads pages as the only discerning difference. So you'd get a Pennies catalog and flip through it looking at the new G.I. Joes and toys and what not, and one of the listings to order through the catalog was like "Marvel Comic Pack" or something like that.