Lazy question: did DMG ever publish any A+A like they said?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Lazy question: did DMG ever publish any A+A like they said?

Post by Oxmyx »

Like I've posted elsewhere, I stopped paying much attention after Hopless XO.

I rather hope DMG didn't taint A+A but what is, is.

Thanks for accommodation of my laziness.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson
Re: Lazy question: did DMG ever publish any A+A like they said?

Post by GammaJosh »

Yes, Archer & Armstrong Forever, four issues published in 2022. Written and drawn by...some dudes I've never heard of. I heard it was decent, but it's still sitting in my ever-growing to-read pile.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:01:39 pm Yes, Archer & Armstrong Forever, four issues published in 2022. Written and drawn by...some dudes I've never heard of. I heard it was decent, but it's still sitting in my ever-growing to-read pile.
Appreciate you, man. One day I'd like to finish my 90s A+A run ;-)
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Oxmyx wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:17:38 pm
GammaJosh wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:01:39 pm Yes, Archer & Armstrong Forever, four issues published in 2022. Written and drawn by...some dudes I've never heard of. I heard it was decent, but it's still sitting in my ever-growing to-read pile.
Stick with the 90s run. What I read of this latest one was not it.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:21:54 pm
Ryan, can you elaborate?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:31:31 am
Ryan, can you elaborate?
It's about tone. The original series by BWS was a mature book. The humor was adult because it took an adult mind to find it funny. It was a book with humor, but it wasn't a gag book. The characters and situations were taken seriously.

What I remember about this latest one (I only read issue 1 when it came out) was they were doing the slapstick/goofball humor with lots of cutesy stuff. Totally opposite tone of the 90s series.

I'd have to pull them out to give more specific examples, can't do it now.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:58:58 am
Ryan, can you elaborate?
It's about tone. The original series by BWS was a mature book. The humor was adult because it took an adult mind to find it funny. It was a book with humor, but it wasn't a gag book. The characters and situations were taken seriously.

What I remember about this latest one (I only read issue 1 when it came out) was they were doing the slapstick/goofball humor with lots of cutesy stuff. Totally opposite tone of the 90s series.

Yeah. I was definitely not a fan of the humor angle in VEI's Archer & Armstrong.

For me, that series should be focused on Archer's road to becoming a religious leader, with Aram as his teacher.

I did sort of like the different cults within the Sect. Many did work.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:10:21 pm
Ryan, can you elaborate?

Yeah. I was definitely not a fan of the humor angle in VEI's Archer & Armstrong.

For me, that series should be focused on Archer's road to becoming a religious leader, with Aram as his teacher.

Just to be clear I'm only talking about the Archer & Armstrong Forever series that came out in 2022.

From what I remember reading, I agree that the earlier VEI series were also too slapstick/goofy in tone, but not as much.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:16:00 pm

Ryan, can you elaborate?

Just to be clear I'm only talking about the Archer & Armstrong Forever series that came out in 2022.

From what I remember reading, I agree that the earlier VEI series were also too slapstick/goofy in tone, but not as much.
Yea I always wondered about it cause it was like, I would get asked about it like crazy - them and also Quantum and Woody but I feel like the sales didn't translation to a real demand but it seems like humor books are just not the thing

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:16:55 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:16:00 pm
Ryan, can you elaborate?

Yea I always wondered about it cause it was like, I would get asked about it like crazy - them and also Quantum and Woody but I feel like the sales didn't translation to a real demand but it seems like humor books are just not the thing
That sounds like an execution problem to me. I have an interest in X-O manowar but I'm not going to keep buying the comic if I'm not enjoying it. I do think straight humor books are a tough sale in the comics industry.

The original A&A didn't sell great either, it became more of a cult classic when people re-read it later. I know I didn't appreciate it until I re-read it when I was older. There's a gravitas to the humor that BWS brought that's hard to replace. But I think just having comedian writers and goofball humor on A&A and Q&W isn't what people are looking for.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:33:19 pm That sounds like an execution problem to me. I have an interest in X-O manowar but I'm not going to keep buying the comic if I'm not enjoying it. I do think straight humor books are a tough sale in the comics industry.

The original A&A didn't sell great either, it became more of a cult classic when people re-read it later. I know I didn't appreciate it until I re-read it when I was older. There's a gravitas to the humor that BWS brought that's hard to replace. But I think just having comedian writers and goofball humor on A&A and Q&W isn't what people are looking for.
Humor wasn't really what made the original Quantum & Woody work, but it became what people mostly associated with it, so, in time, that became its defining trait and what it is remembered for.

The original version had more depth than that, but, unfortunately, the stupid humor quickly eclipsed it. They put way too much focus on the goat.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:54:52 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:33:19 pm That sounds like an execution problem to me. I have an interest in X-O manowar but I'm not going to keep buying the comic if I'm not enjoying it. I do think straight humor books are a tough sale in the comics industry.

Humor wasn't really what made the original Quantum & Woody work, but it became what people mostly associated with it, so, in time, that became its defining trait and what it is remembered for.

The original version had more depth than that, but, unfortunately, the stupid humor quickly eclipsed it. They put way too much focus on the goat.
Exactly. The same thing that happened with A&A

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:06:11 pm

Yeah.

The thing with Q&W is that it really was the ONLY VALIANT-related comic book Acclaim published during VH 2 that gained any notice and any traction. From that perspective, it makes sense that they would want to exploit it for all it was worth.

Problem is that they went in the wrong direction with it by focusing on the humor.

I'd much rather have seen the complete run of Priest's Concrete Jungle mini-series than that stupid Goat "special event" one-shot.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:20:58 pm

Yeah.

The thing with Q&W is that it really was the ONLY VALIANT-related comic book Acclaim published during VH 2 that gained any notice and any traction. From that perspective, it makes sense that they would want to exploit it for all it was worth.

Problem is that they went in the wrong direction with it by focusing on the humor.

I'd much rather have seen the complete run of Priest's Concrete Jungle mini-series than that stupid Goat "special event" one-shot.
Agree. The reason it gained traction (IMO) is because it felt like a passion project for Priest and Bright, and it just worked. The action, drama, characters/race relations, and ELEMENTS of humor all combined to make it a great read.

Just like anything that's a surprising 'hit', it's hard to recreate all those elements and get it all to work again years later. Just making it a cartoony humor book isn't it though.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:39:16 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:20:58 pm

Yeah.

Agree. The reason it gained traction (IMO) is because it felt like a passion project for Priest and Bright, and it just worked. The action, drama, characters/race relations, and ELEMENTS of humor all combined to make it a great read.

Just like anything that's a surprising 'hit', it's hard to recreate all those elements and get it all to work again years later. Just making it a cartoony humor book isn't it though.
It likely helped that it was one of the only three (or first three...) original ideas published as part of VH 2. Troublemakers and Trinity Angels being the other.

While Troublemakers had some original ideas and such, it was always going to be seen as a knock-off of X-Men, while Trinity Angels, which likewise had some original ideas, was ephemeral and wouldn't last beyond the "bad girl" craze.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:46:49 pm It likely helped that it was one of the only three (or first three...) original ideas published as part of VH 2. Troublemakers and Trinity Angels being the other.

While Troublemakers had some original ideas and such, it was always going to be seen as a knock-off of X-Men, while Trinity Angels, which likewise had some original ideas, was ephemeral and wouldn't last beyond the "bad girl" craze.
Definitely