Serious question...what did Heather Antos actually *do*?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Serious question...what did Heather Antos actually *do*?

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:30:23 pm
Chiclo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:22:51 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:59:58 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52:12 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:50:05 pm Cool, I just have a different opinion. With all of the sci-fi elements already in Valiant, it stretches my credibility that the world would then remain an exact copy of ours in every other respect as the years go on. We can agree to disagree on that.
I would agree that the world would change. Rai #0 showed us that.
That's all I'm saying. VH1 starts out as the world outside our window, an exact copy of our world. But then on Sept 27, 1990 everything changes with Solar. In my mind, as the years go on and more sci-fi elements get introduced the world would undoubtedly change and the political/economic landscape would change in ways that our world wouldn't.

So it would still be the world outside our window in the sense that the same rules of science would apply, but as the years went on it would look less and less like an exact copy of our world in the current year. Like how Antarctica got blown up in VH1 and Pittsburgh got blown up in the New Universe. World altering events that didn't happen here.

Anyway it's all just fiction, fun to theorize about.
I mean, he did blow up that world outside our window and reset or possibly remade it.

That was the source or great bulk of the necromantic energy. The new world had more magic than the first one.

If it was a fusion reactor, why would it need anti-proton pumps? Were they fusing anti-matter?
A matter-anti-matter collision is what destroyed that world. Phil drew in all matter about him. His body acting like a small “black hole,” where matter was destroyed and time stopped absolutely.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180379

This conversation has been had before, lol.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... ER#p351470
Easy there, Dylan Hunt. Black holes don’t stop time in the world outside my window.

That guy you quoted to me, he seems to get it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:38:29 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:30:23 pm
Chiclo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:22:51 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:59:58 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52:12 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:50:05 pm Cool, I just have a different opinion. With all of the sci-fi elements already in Valiant, it stretches my credibility that the world would then remain an exact copy of ours in every other respect as the years go on. We can agree to disagree on that.
I would agree that the world would change. Rai #0 showed us that.
That's all I'm saying. VH1 starts out as the world outside our window, an exact copy of our world. But then on Sept 27, 1990 everything changes with Solar. In my mind, as the years go on and more sci-fi elements get introduced the world would undoubtedly change and the political/economic landscape would change in ways that our world wouldn't.

So it would still be the world outside our window in the sense that the same rules of science would apply, but as the years went on it would look less and less like an exact copy of our world in the current year. Like how Antarctica got blown up in VH1 and Pittsburgh got blown up in the New Universe. World altering events that didn't happen here.

Anyway it's all just fiction, fun to theorize about.
I mean, he did blow up that world outside our window and reset or possibly remade it.

That was the source or great bulk of the necromantic energy. The new world had more magic than the first one.

If it was a fusion reactor, why would it need anti-proton pumps? Were they fusing anti-matter?
A matter-anti-matter collision is what destroyed that world. Phil drew in all matter about him. His body acting like a small “black hole,” where matter was destroyed and time stopped absolutely.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180379

This conversation has been had before, lol.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... ER#p351470
Easy there, Dylan Hunt. Black holes don’t stop time in the world outside my window.

That guy you quoted to me, he seems to get it.
Slow time, not stop it. It still moves, just very slowly.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

It would take a LOT of anti-matter to destroy the world. By a factor of mass times the speed of light squared.

If Solar could, at that early point in his having powers, convert energy to matter, he likely could just as easily convert energy to anti-matter. That could be a considerable source of anti-matter, especially if he is losing control of his powers at that moment and converting energy without control, even if only a portion of that energy (10%? 1%?) was converted to anti-matter.

That would not create a black hole. Black holes happen when so much matter starts collapsing in on itself, matter-anti-matter annihilation converts both to energy (by a factor…) which would disperse the matter.

Squaring the circle - Solar is out of control. He is riding on the back of a tiger, metaphorically, and sucking in all this radiation. Without realising it, overwhelmed by all this radiation and matter he is absorbing, he starts converting energy back to matter, some anti-matter, just as a way of filtering or processing all this energy. Boom, Earth explodes but he sucks the mass and energy back into himself. It would be possible that could create a very, VERY small black hole but probably would have negligible gravitic effect beyond the orbit of the Moon. It would not affect the Sun any more than the Earth (or Earth-Moon system) affects the Sun now, with its gravity. Nobody could see the Terran Black Hole with their eyes, it would just be something you had to indirectly observe or prove mathematically was there from perturbations in the orbits of the other planets. Not universe destroying, not galaxy destroying, not even Sun destroying.

Time shift could work, though. Very Star Trek IV.
Last edited by Chiclo on Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:33:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:13:45 am
Oxmyx wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:20:32 pm Sorry to everybody for opening up this can of worms afresh, but seriously I'm confused about it...
This explains what actually happened better than anything:
Then Valiant hired that person, and the small overlap of people who were upset about the above who also happened to be Valiant fans were upset that she was at Valiant.

The events of that article are the only reason they knew her name to begin with and it's why they picked on her when she got to Valiant. She was a woman in the wrong place at the wrong time and became a target for the type of people who like to use terms like "SJW" and "woke" a lot. Those same people have absolutely no idea what decisions she's actually made about anything, but she's blamed for making comics in a different way than they like, so she became an object of hate.

That's as diplomatic as I can be about it, and I am seriously biting my tongue.
Well said.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:35:55 am It would take a LOT of anti-matter to destroy the world. By a factor of mass times the speed of light squared.

If Solar could, at that early point in his having powers, convert energy to matter, he likely could just as easily convert energy to anti-matter. That could be a considerable source of anti-matter, especially if he is losing control of his powers at that moment and converting energy without control, even if only a portion of that energy (10%? 1%?) was converted to anti-matter.

That would not create a black hole. Black holes happen when so much matter starts collapsing in on itself, matter-anti-matter annihilation converts both to energy (by a factor…) which would disperse the matter.

Squaring the circle - Solar is out of control. He is riding on the back of a tiger, metaphorically, and sucking in all this radiation. Without realising it, overwhelmed by all this radiation and matter he is absorbing, he starts converting energy back to matter, some anti-matter, just as a way of filtering or processing all this energy. Boom, Earth explodes but he sucks the mass and energy back into himself. It would be possible that could create a very, VERY small black hole but probably would have negligible gravitic effect beyond the orbit of the Moon. It would not affect the Sun any more than the Earth (or Earth-Moon system) affects the Sun now, with its gravity. Nobody could see the Terran Black Hole with their eyes, it would just be something you had to indirectly observe or prove mathematically was there from perturbations in the orbits of the other planets. Not universe destroying, not galaxy destroying, not even Sun destroying.

Time shift could work, though. Very Star Trek V.
Clearly, Shooter's intent would have been for Solar to have absorbed enough energy to create the black hole that destroyed the Earth.

Did we ever settle on whether he destroyed the entire universe or just one planet?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Let us try to simplify it.

Collapsing Star Gives Birth to a Black Hole

We know that Solar absorbed the energy of a star. We can even say that when he absorbed the energy from the star, he BECAME the star.

When he lost control, that was him, as the star, collapsing, and creating the black hole.

I think there might be some crossed wires here between the conditions of the fusion accident that turned Phil Seleski into Solar and what it was that caused the world to be destroyed.

One is not related to the other, per se. Meaning, matter and anti-matter and such, which were involved in his transformation, don't apply to the creation of the black hole.

Phil was, in essence, a sentient star with a damaged psyche. When he lost control of his mental faculties, that led to him collapsing. It's nuanced and such. A star with feelings.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Yes, crossed some wires. It had been a while - like 15 years since I read Alpha and Omega. I forgot about the star but remembered Phil panicking when Gayle started getting sick and sucking it all in.

I remember the star looking about like our sun. What makes black holes dangerous and extends their reach is mass. What would probably happen, if the other star was in the ballpark of mass to the sun, which is a really wide range, it would probably set up a binary orbit with the Sun. That orbit would more likely than not be unstable and eventually lead to the Sun falling into the Terran black hole but this dance would take time. Months? Millennia? More? This would wreck the orbits of the other planets and bodies in the solar system, some fall into the black hole, some flung into interstellar space. Some would probably orbit the system.

In 1990, this would have destroyed mankind and any evidence our civilisation ever existed, apart from a handful of artifacts like Voyager 1 and 2 (or maybe not) and less than a century’s worth of radio waves. “It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes, and all of this…all of this…was for nothing.” —John Sheridan

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:35:55 am It would take a LOT of anti-matter....

...annihilation....

Squaring the circle - Solar is out of control....sucking in all this radiation.

Time shift could work, though. Very Star Trek V.
What does Doctor Solar need with a starship?

Are you sure you meant 5?
FB_IMG_1664552365517.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:35:45 pm
Chiclo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:35:55 am It would take a LOT of anti-matter....

...annihilation....

Squaring the circle - Solar is out of control....sucking in all this radiation.

Time shift could work, though. Very Star Trek IV.
What does Doctor Solar need with a starship?

Are you sure you meant 5?FB_IMG_1664552365517.jpg
Good catch, it was IV. Star Trek: Save the Whales.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:46:45 pm Yes, crossed some wires. It had been a while - like 15 years since I read Alpha and Omega. I forgot about the star but remembered Phil panicking when Gayle started getting sick and sucking it all in.

I remember the star looking about like our sun. What makes black holes dangerous and extends their reach is mass. What would probably happen, if the other star was in the ballpark of mass to the sun, which is a really wide range, it would probably set up a binary orbit with the Sun. That orbit would more likely than not be unstable and eventually lead to the Sun falling into the Terran black hole but this dance would take time. Months? Millennia? More? This would wreck the orbits of the other planets and bodies in the solar system, some fall into the black hole, some flung into interstellar space. Some would probably orbit the system.

In 1990, this would have destroyed mankind and any evidence our civilisation ever existed, apart from a handful of artifacts like Voyager 1 and 2 (or maybe not) and less than a century’s worth of radio waves. “It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes, and all of this…all of this…was for nothing.” —John Sheridan
Unity #0 shows Erica near the event horizon of a black hole in April 1991.

I took a quick glance at Alpha & Omega but couldn't find any dates. When was the black hole created?