Free Comic Book Day 2024

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Free Comic Book Day 2024

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:39:28 pm Sometimes i think [syzhang28]'s Dinesh's alias coming on here to troll.
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:25:22 pm You know I'm starting to think [ManofTheAtom]'s been hired by DMG to make excuses for them and remind people of a time before Dinesh showed them up.
syzhang28: "I'm not the mole, HE is!"

:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:47:21 am
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:25:22 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:52:40 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47:57 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:05:02 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:14:22 pm

Wow. Really, really bad anatomy. Every head is too small. Livewire's boobs are bigger than her head. The forearms are too short. X-O's right arm doesn't make any sense and what's up with his green face? Glass? Okay, but why? This looks so C grade. Remember when Lewis LaRosa used to draw these characters...
I was honestly wondering where you'd been as I hadn't seen you post lately, so it's good to see you posting again.

I thought that news that the Eternal Warrior KS was being fulfilled had taken the wind out of your sails since now you wouldn't have anything to complain about. Clearly, I was wrong, heh.
Has the KS actually arrived for anybody yet?

Also, you haven't read the best Valiant books so I don't blame you for getting excited by this C level art.
There you are.

Every party has a pooper, man...
Right, so no then. You know I'm starting to think you've been hired by DMG to make excuses for them and remind people of a time before Dinesh showed them up.
I did some work for Dinesh at VEI in the early years. I was even mentioned in two published comics and offered ideas that made it to the printed page of the first two issues of X-O Manowar and Archer & Armstrong, but I haven't done anything for VALIANT in several years.
Sounds like they quickly found little use for you. Is that why you haven't read most of the Valiant books?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:27:07 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:47:21 am
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:25:22 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:52:40 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47:57 pm

I was honestly wondering where you'd been as I hadn't seen you post lately, so it's good to see you posting again.

I thought that news that the Eternal Warrior KS was being fulfilled had taken the wind out of your sails since now you wouldn't have anything to complain about. Clearly, I was wrong, heh.

Also, you haven't read the best Valiant books so I don't blame you for getting excited by this C level art.
There you are.

Every party has a pooper, man...
Right, so no then. You know I'm starting to think you've been hired by DMG to make excuses for them and remind people of a time before Dinesh showed them up.
I did some work for Dinesh at VEI in the early years. I was even mentioned in two published comics and offered ideas that made it to the printed page of the first two issues of X-O Manowar and Archer & Armstrong, but I haven't done anything for VALIANT in several years.
Sounds like they quickly found little use for you. Is that why you haven't read most of the Valiant books?
I believe as I stated before it was because I was unable to keep getting them.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:27:07 pm Sounds like they quickly found little use for you. Is that why you haven't read most of the Valiant books?
On a separate note, I don't appreciate the antagonism.

In the course of this thread, I've been considerably cordial to you.

I expressed genuine concern over your absence,
that finished with a joke.
and discouraged others from attacking you,
He just needs to chill and focus on talking about the comics. That won't be easy because he clearly has a problem with DMG and won't give Alien Books a chance, but I hope he does. Whatever they do may not be what Dinesh would have done, but it does not necessarily mean it'll be bad.
But, keep it up, and I'll stop giving a *SQUEE* about you and treat you like others do.

Now, I don't want to do that. I see no reason why anyone should not feel welcomed here, but it's up to you.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

Just cut the bickering and kiss already.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

daniellew61 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:10:10 pm Just cut the bickering and kiss already.
When you were all bickering, I had "girls, girls, stop fighting, you're all pretty" ready to launch, but I sat on it too long and now you beat me to an alternative...

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

daniellew61 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:10:10 pm Just cut the bickering and kiss already.
You have a gift for clarity.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

syzhang28 wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:23:16 pm What might this contain?

FCBD24_SILVER_Alien-Books_VALIANT.jpg
Wow. Really, really bad anatomy. Every head is too small. Livewire's boobs are bigger than her head. The forearms are too short. X-O's right arm doesn't make any sense and what's up with his green face? Glass? Okay, but why? This looks so C grade. Remember when Lewis LaRosa used to draw these characters...

I'm pretty sure he's read Deathmate.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

lorddunlow wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:38:54 pm
syzhang28 wrote:

At a bare minimum.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:

At a bare minimum.
He said you hadn't read the best Valiant books... You definitely read Deathmate.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

lorddunlow wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:40:01 am
ManofTheAtom wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:

At a bare minimum.
He said you hadn't read the best Valiant books... You definitely read Deathmate.

And the GOAT Special event one-shot.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I may have missed out on reading VALIANT comics after Stanlinverse, but my name appears in two different VALIANT comics and two of my creative suggestions appear in two others, so it balances itself out...

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:38:40 am I may have missed out on reading VALIANT comics after Stanlinverse, but my name appears in two different VALIANT comics and two of my creative suggestions appear in two others, so it balances itself out...
Thats two more than that obnoxious cuck has done
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11:30 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:38:40 am I may have missed out on reading VALIANT comics after Stanlinverse, but my name appears in two different VALIANT comics and two of my creative suggestions appear in two others, so it balances itself out...
Yeah. I do hope he stops being obnoxious and gets past his problems with DMG. Time will tell...

The Chosen 1
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:29:49 pm
Yeah. I do hope he stops being obnoxious and gets past his problems with DMG. Time will tell...
One thing i've always found interesting in his critisisms is about the art. Yet original Valint was never know about it's art. It was strong and had great artists, but it was always about the story, in contrast to Image, which had amazing artists (excluding Rob Liefeld) but the story telling was non existent.

I was fortunate enough to get into Valiant when XO Manowar number 1 was realeased back in 92. I managed to then buy every Valiant comic and then bought every Valiant title up to Harbinger 25. But the hype and feeling was amazing about Valiant back then. Everyone talked about it. The comic book shops promoted the titles, you would go into a CBS and people were talking about Valiant that i've never seen before or since. They were actually seen as a genuine challanger to DC & Marvel, even taking market share off them. It was lightening in a bottle.

Unfortunately, depsite Dinesh's amazing efforts to get Valiant up and running again with great stories and artists, never struck a chord with the comic reading enthusiast. The only way you could get the comic in Australia was to basically have a subscription as most stores wouldnt carry them.

I fortunately have every issue from VH1 & VEI, so i can compare the two. VEI is better in art and a modern retelling, but most of it is rehashing the original stories.

He should quit being so angry that the comic gods havent delivered him the eternal comic paradise he was expecting. No one cares and he just looks like an *SQUEE* idiot.

He can *SQUEE* and moan all he wants, but nothings is going to change. And telling an employee of Alien Books that she doesnt know what she's talking about is a new high water mark in moronic stupidity.

Lets keep optomistic that Alien Books will usher in a new era of great stories and art and it's looked after by people who love comics and Valiant and know how to write stories.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:39:34 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:29:49 pm
One thing i've always found interesting in his critisisms is about the art. Yet original Valint was never know about it's art. It was strong and had great artists, but it was always about the story, in contrast to Image, which had amazing artists (excluding Rob Liefeld) but the story telling was non existent.

I was fortunate enough to get into Valiant when XO Manowar number 1 was realeased back in 92. I managed to then buy every Valiant comic and then bought every Valiant title up to Harbinger 25. But the hype and feeling was amazing about Valiant back then. Everyone talked about it. The comic book shops promoted the titles, you would go into a CBS and people were talking about Valiant that i've never seen before or since. They were actually seen as a genuine challanger to DC & Marvel, even taking market share off them. It was lightening in a bottle.

Unfortunately, depsite Dinesh's amazing efforts to get Valiant up and running again with great stories and artists, never struck a chord with the comic reading enthusiast. The only way you could get the comic in Australia was to basically have a subscription as most stores wouldnt carry them.

I fortunately have every issue from VH1 & VEI, so i can compare the two. VEI is better in art and a modern retelling, but most of it is rehashing the original stories.

He should quit being so angry that the comic gods havent delivered him the eternal comic paradise he was expecting. No one cares and he just looks like an *SQUEE* idiot.

He can *SQUEE* and moan all he wants, but nothings is going to change. And telling an employee of Alien Books that she doesnt know what she's talking about is a new high water mark in moronic stupidity.

Lets keep optomistic that Alien Books will usher in a new era of great stories and art and it's looked after by people who love comics and Valiant and know how to write stories.
Rob Liefeld has a story about the art at VALIANT, about him bringing up its shortcomings to Jim Shooter. I forget the specifics, but something about him asking Shooter why he hired the artists he did whose styles weren't that dynamic and such. He recounts Shooter's response to him, which was really good. I just forget where I saw it, whether I read it or heard it in one of Liefeld's podcasts.

I do hope syzhang28 can lighten up so we can all get along.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Back to the topic at hand. This cover looks terrible. But, since it’s free, it’s worth a pickup.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

JCP wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:47:55 am Back to the topic at hand. This cover looks terrible. But, since it’s free, it’s worth a pickup.
I would have done an updated homage to the cover of Unity #0.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Can you pluraize the word "Valiant" like that? Looks awkward.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Tim wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:46:41 am Can you pluraize the word "Valiant" like that? Looks awkward.
If they could pluralize "the Lone Ranger", then, sure, Alien Books can pluralize Valiant, heh.

cg1991cg
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2004
Favorite character: turok
Favorite title: turok

Post by cg1991cg »

Why's that dude such a grumpy gert? It's like he just wants to argue

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Strongly disagree that it is bad art.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Tim wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:46:41 am Can you pluraize the word "Valiant" like that? Looks awkward.
A team book maybe? Maybe they re calling their protagonists Valiants in the same way that marvel sometimes uses marvels to describe its super powered heroes?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month