Alien Books: "I told you"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger
Re: Alien Books: "I told you"

Post by aj583 »

syzhang28 wrote:
aj583 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:00:23 pm
Also, I appreciate @MartinAlien and Danielle being on these boards as they prepare for launch. More than we got in the past. Makes me feel like we have a potential avenue for constructive dialog on what the fan base is interested in that could help get the fans back in the long term.
I think it's rinky dink and (the way they attack fans with dissenting views) unprofessional. You didn't see Dinesh posting here much during VEI, you don't see the heads of Marvel or DC posting in message boards often. You don't see heads of movie companies or video game studios posting either. There's a reason for that.
Your tiff notwithstanding, I don’t see them attacking fans. They have too tall of a mountain to climb to do that.

Dinesh didn’t need to post as his team’s quality did the talking. When the entire Valiant brand is in free fall, that’s when a little fan interaction can go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ize
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Antonius Axia
Favorite title: Britannia
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Ize »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:35:34 pm
Ize wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:41:39 am Britannia was a series i really enjoyed at the time and even if it isn't a 'new story', i really look forward to it being released. I'm happy that they're trying to release more monthly books than recently - hopefully the quality will improve with time.
After purchasing Hero Trade 2, Megalith 0 and Save Now 0 from Bad Idea for £32 each plus delivery for an 8 page comic, one won't complain about price / page count :? 8-)
The quality difference is sizable between Alien and Bad Idea, who just might be making the best comics right now.
Compared to under DMG, there's no denying the gap the quality. However Alien haven't published anything yet, so i'm just trying to be positive about a comic publisher i'm a big fan of - like i am of Bad Idea.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:39:07 pm
leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:03:05 pm
Chiclo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:17:38 am
leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27:57 am syzhang28, you seem invested in being angry about books you haven't had the opportunity to read or judge yet.
But is he wrong?
Until the books are printed, then in reader hands, and people then know what they are paying for how many pages, and ultimately what they think of the content, then he is neither right nor wrong, simply angry.
Past is prologue. These books will be just as bad as the other DMG and just as bad as the other Alien books. Especially now that we see the scattershot approach, the low rent creators and the lack of attention to quality have persisted. You can disagree with me but it's just another 'I told you so' post from me in the making...
To follow your logic, VEI was as bad as Acclaim era VALIANT.... :?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:07:28 am
leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27:57 am syzhang28, you seem invested in being angry about books you haven't had the opportunity to read or judge yet.
But is he wrong?
Until the books are printed, then in reader hands, and people then know what they are paying for how many pages, and ultimately what they think of the content, then he is neither right nor wrong, simply angry.
Past is prologue. These books will be just as bad as the other DMG and just as bad as the other Alien books. Especially now that we see the scattershot approach, the low rent creators and the lack of attention to quality have persisted. You can disagree with me but it's just another 'I told you so' post from me in the making...
Were V-ditti and Dysart high-rent creators in 2012? A creator doesn’t need to be well-known to tell us a good story.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:44:30 am Were V-ditti and Dysart high-rent creators in 2012? A creator doesn’t need to be well-known to tell us a good story.
The biggest thing that needs to be done is to recognize this was the good stuff and have a writer actually come in that's familiar with the continuity to build off of it rather than do the typical "Marvel/DC" style relaunch where history is completely ignored and it feels like an entirely different book. Valiant can't survive that, as evidenced from DMG's handling of the properties.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:44:30 am
But is he wrong?
Were V-ditti and Dysart high-rent creators in 2012? A creator doesn’t need to be well-known to tell us a good story.
:thumb:

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:44:30 am
But is he wrong?
One wrote one of the biggest indie hits of the decade which became a movie and the other won the Eisner for best series before VEI. I'll take that money ball approach to the Alien approach any day.

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:25:57 pm Found another possible lie on facebook:

Josh Schwartz: Yeah, it's basically a whole mini-series in one book. I assume DMG Valiant originally intended to publish it as singles.
Danielle Ward: nope about DMG, you're seeing the new-new - story didn't exist yet.

But then:

Judah Radd: I begged Peter Milligan on twitter for this years ago
Lysa Hawkins: This WAS suppose to happen years ago...

So these are all books from DMG or at least pitches from DMG times that are being finished in Alien times and Alien is trying to pretend these are new stories they created...
Dude, respectfully...shut the *SQUEE* up. You are an *SQUEE*. It's a mini-series *worth* of story. I don't know if it was planned as a mini or not. 48 pages or 56 or 68 or whatever is X number of standard individual comics. Just divide by 22 pages. Nothing in the exchange you quoted shows that these books were created under DMG. "Supposed to happen" doesn't mean "was written or drawn" years ago. It's not hard. Use reading comprehension if you can. No need to call people liars. But since you did and probably will again: *SQUEE* you *SQUEE*.

It is pathetic how much you are trying to get clout on a comic book message board. For your sake I hope you have some kind of developmental handicap. Otherwise this is just sad. If you're not enjoying yourself or the books, *SQUEE* off and bother other people.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:29:56 am
syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:25:57 pm Found another possible lie on facebook:

Josh Schwartz: Yeah, it's basically a whole mini-series in one book. I assume DMG Valiant originally intended to publish it as singles.
Danielle Ward: nope about DMG, you're seeing the new-new - story didn't exist yet.

But then:

So these are all books from DMG or at least pitches from DMG times that are being finished in Alien times and Alien is trying to pretend these are new stories they created...
Dude, respectfully...shut the *SQUEE* up. You are an *SQUEE*. It's a mini-series *worth* of story. I don't know if it was planned as a mini or not. 48 pages or 56 or 68 or whatever is X number of standard individual comics. Just divide by 22 pages. Nothing in the exchange you quoted shows that these books were created under DMG. "Supposed to happen" doesn't mean "was written or drawn" years ago. It's not hard. Use reading comprehension if you can. No need to call people liars. But since you did and probably will again: *SQUEE* you *SQUEE*.

It is pathetic how much you are trying to get clout on a comic book message board. For your sake I hope you have some kind of developmental handicap. Otherwise this is just sad. If you're not enjoying yourself or the books, *SQUEE* off and bother other people.
Everything has been respectful up until this. Disagreeing and calling out fallacies is simple discourse. This is offensive. Crude language, belittling and name calling should not be allowed anywhere. It would have been easy for you to make your point in a respectable fashion. The things you've said could have had real life consequences if said to someone who was in an emotionally broken place. Keep that in mind next time.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:45:38 am

But then:

Everything has been respectful up until this. Disagreeing and calling out fallacies is simple discourse. This is offensive. Crude language, belittling and name calling should not be allowed anywhere. It would have been easy for you to make your point in a respectable fashion. The things you've said could have had real life consequences if said to someone who was in an emotionally broken place. Keep that in mind next time.
Frankly I think you deserve to be offended because you keep showing up here, spreading negativity, and accusing Valiant and Alien staff of lying. In fact I'm pretty sure at least one of them is not going to post here anymore because of you, and I don't blame them. So thanks for ruining that for the rest of us with your pointless juvenile negativity and conspiracy theories. I just wish your mom had been more on the ball about bringing your single serving pudding cups to your basement suite. Maybe you wouldn't be so angry about comic books and we could have avoided this whole mess.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

And I'd just add that the people working at Valiant and Alien are in fact real human beings too, and for as much as you want me to consider that you might be in an emotionally vulnerable place, you sure don't seem to extend the same basic human kindness to them. So now I'm calling you a hypocrite too.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:01:37 pm And I'd just add that the people working at Valiant and Alien are in fact real human beings too, and for as much as you want me to consider that you might be in an emotionally vulnerable place, you sure don't seem to extend the same basic human kindness to them. So now I'm calling you a hypocrite too.
You need to go back and read my comments. I haven't name called. I haven't said anything that isn't true. They attacked me in fact. If they don't post here anymore its because they aren't getting a free pass and someone (me) is holding them accountable. Don't love something so much you are blind to what's right.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:56:41 am

But then:

Frankly I think you deserve to be offended because you keep showing up here, spreading negativity, and accusing Valiant and Alien staff of lying. In fact I'm pretty sure at least one of them is not going to post here anymore because of you, and I don't blame them. So thanks for ruining that for the rest of us with your pointless juvenile negativity and conspiracy theories. I just wish your mom had been more on the ball about bringing your single serving pudding cups to your basement suite. Maybe you wouldn't be so angry about comic books and we could have avoided this whole mess.
Doubling down. Admins should take note.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

But then:

Doubling down. Quoted for the record

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

But then:

Who?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:16:46 pm

But then:

Who?
Nobody. He's just saying stuff to make his point. MartinAlien already posted in this very thread, and you couldn't get Danielle to stop posting on fan boards if it was her job.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:54:34 pm
You need to go back and read my comments. I haven't name called. I haven't said anything that isn't true. They attacked me in fact. If they don't post here anymore its because they aren't getting a free pass and someone (me) is holding them accountable. Don't love something so much you are blind to what's right.
Maybe you're an outlier, but I think most people would rather be called an @$$hole than a liar. You have been coming on this board with your conspiracy theories and calling people liars directly and indirectly for months. So it is in fact you who has been slinging $#!t around like an ape in a zoo, insulting people and calling them names. I'm just sick of it. If you weren't such a p#$$y you'd be posting all this stuff on Facebook under your real name, instead of doing it here "anonymously". So I don't know, maybe just shut the *SQUEE* up already Jason.

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by MartinAlien »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:24:43 pm Nobody. He's just saying stuff to make his point. MartinAlien already posted in this very thread, and you couldn't get Danielle to stop posting on fan boards if it was her job.

It's true. After you kept calling me unprofessional and recommended me to get media training, I realized I was just wasting my time and decided to stop posting on this message board. I read every thread because I do care what fans think, but I stopped interacting since my replies only encouraged you to be a louder bully.
Working for the Aliens

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

MartinAlien wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:58:47 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:24:43 pm Nobody. He's just saying stuff to make his point. MartinAlien already posted in this very thread, and you couldn't get Danielle to stop posting on fan boards if it was her job.

It's true. After you kept calling me unprofessional and recommended me to get media training, I realized I was just wasting my time and decided to stop posting on this message board. I read every thread because I do care what fans think, but I stopped interacting since my replies only encouraged you to be a louder bully.
That sucks. Don't let one bad apple deter you from interacting with everyone else.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ize
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Antonius Axia
Favorite title: Britannia
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Ize »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:52:37 pm
Maybe you're an outlier, but I think most people would rather be called an @$$hole than a liar. You have been coming on this board with your conspiracy theories and calling people liars directly and indirectly for months. So it is in fact you who has been slinging $#!t around like an ape in a zoo, insulting people and calling them names. I'm just sick of it. If you weren't such a p#$$y you'd be posting all this stuff on Facebook under your real name, instead of doing it here "anonymously". So I don't know, maybe just shut the *SQUEE* up already Jason.
on another comic publishers fansite (on facebook) there is an overly positive fan (called jason), who blindly supports said publisher no matter what and if someone posts anything that isn't super positive towards this publisher - this fan will either provoke or challenge that person. dunno if this is your man, but if so their behaviour is totally the opposite to your man on here.
that jason wouldn't care about people's mental health, if someone posted something on that fansite he didn't agree with.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Yet here you are, so...

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:52:37 pm
Not conspiracy theories if I am proved true, which is exactly what happened. You should focus your attention on Alien who tried very hard to hide these truths from you

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:40:35 am

Yet here you are, so...
He is explaining why you have deterred him posting, yet rather than reflect on that, you post a passive aggressive response. Petty.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Martin, I am sorry you and Dani have been treated so badly by one very angry individual whose sole aim is to get validation and be anointed as 'correct'.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

This thread has got me to wondering - what did syzhang tell us and how accurate was it?

Looking back at his posts, this whole affair seems to have begun in early August with this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1119537#p1119537
Wherein syzhang says that he heard a rumour that Alien books planned to release prestige format comics with a price point of around $12.99 and higher page counts. This thread was not contentious and his claims here seem to be supported.

Where things get sour are in this next thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1119610#p1119610
Less than a week later, syzhang tries for a sequel, sharing the scuttlebutt he heard at his lcs that Valiant doesn't like what Alien is doing and this is where current and recently transferred Valiant employees tell him he is wrong. These claims have not been corroborated by other sources and are denied by all involved with both companies.

The next rumour thread is here:
viewtopic.php?p=1119715#p1119715
Less than a week after the second thread, syzhang claims Alien is talking to former Valiant creators. He says that the LCS guy told him about how Dinesh was making introductions. Names listed include Frank Miller, Dysart and Venditti. Denied by Alien staff, danielle said that people met people at a Bad Idea party at SDCC. Thread goes on, much talk about the Kickstarter and who was to blame, not much added to rumor support or denial.

What did the five fingers say to the face?:
viewtopic.php?t=54355
Mad about Kickstarter, Alien soliciting Scorched Earth before the KS ships. Has this shipped yet? Did the Kickstarter backers get their HCs before Alien shipped these SCs?

One more rumor:
viewtopic.php?p=1120185#p1120185
syzhang claims that Alien will be satisfied with print runs of 1500. This one can be tested over the next 6 to 18 months, I'd guess.

There have been other controversies during that time, for example asking in one thread if we think Alien will hire Shooter and then talking about how terrible Shooter is. Those are not included here.

On the balance, I think we can say his first thread panned out to be solid. As far as I am aware, his prognostications about the Kickstarter were not. There is no evidence to support the second rumour and it was specifically and unanimously denied by anyone with first-hand knowledge of the situation but to be fair, I don't think we can dismiss this as explicitly debunked but I am still very sceptical of this claim. The third claim seems to be founded in an actual event but presented misleadingly - truly, rumours and conjecture.

My final tally - 1 right, 1 probably wrong, 1 got the story wrong, 1 wrong and 1 wait and see.

Not the kind of record I'd be crowing about, saying see I told you so.