Alien's VALIANT

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Alien's VALIANT

Post by grendeljd »

I would love to see a new take on the Generation Zero kids from the PRS storyline in Bloodshot… and at this point, something that ignores that Van Lente series that kind of ruined the potential of the group.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:31:20 am I think Hickman or Ewing could definitely write up some awesome Harbinger story arcs that would build nicely off of Dysarts run on both Harbinger & Imperium and even Heisserer’s Secret Weapons. That would be really great to see.

I would also love to see what Ewing might do with Shadowman - his Immortal Hulk run showed he could fuse some tremendous high-concept sci-fi and horror genre ideas together in one.
Cool.
grendeljd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:45:17 am I would love to see a new take on the Generation Zero kids from the PRS storyline in Bloodshot… and at this point, something that ignores that Van Lente series that kind of ruined the potential of the group.
That bad, eh? I think I only read the first four issues.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:31:20 am I think Hickman or Ewing could definitely write up some awesome Harbinger story arcs that would build nicely off of Dysarts run on both Harbinger & Imperium and even Heisserer’s Secret Weapons. That would be really great to see.

I would also love to see what Ewing might do with Shadowman - his Immortal Hulk run showed he could fuse some tremendous high-concept sci-fi and horror genre ideas together in one.
If anything I think Hickman would be better with Valiant properties than Marvel. Personally I find his writing a little too dark and serious for Marvel. Not everything needs to be a multi-verse spanning epic with a big science concept behind it. Hickman is never going to deliver a "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" type story with heart. But his particular type of dour world-shatteryness might be perfect for Valiant.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:06:18 am

If anything I think Hickman would be better with Valiant properties than Marvel. Personally I find his writing a little too dark and serious for Marvel. Not everything needs to be a multi-verse spanning epic with a big science concept behind it. Hickman is never going to deliver a "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" type story with heart. But his particular type of dour world-shatteryness might be perfect for Valiant.
VALIANT needs stories like that, though.

"The Kid Who Collects Shadowman" makes sense since he's really the only street level hero that the mainstream would even be aware of to the point that he would be worth collecting.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:10:35 am

"The Kid Who Collects Shadowman" makes sense since he's really the only street level hero that the mainstream would even be aware of to the point that he would be worth collecting.
I agree but I think we've gotten a fair amount of that with Faith, A&A, Q&W, etc., and I wouldn't put a guy like Hickman on those titles. Maybe he could be line editor/story guru and give some overarching plot direction. But lord help us please don't let him write those titles. I suppose that sort of lighter story could be a possibility for Jack if & when he's sufficiently rehabilitated from that whole killing his dad thing!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:17:12 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:10:35 am

I agree but I think we've gotten a fair amount of that with Faith, A&A, Q&W, etc., and I wouldn't put a guy like Hickman on those titles. Maybe he could be line editor/story guru and give some overarching plot direction. But lord help us please don't let him write those titles. I suppose that sort of lighter story could be a possibility for Jack if & when he's sufficiently rehabilitated from that whole killing his dad thing!
Jack and his dad have never gotten along. Not in VH 1 and not in VEI, heh.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:10:53 am

Cool.
grendeljd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:45:17 am I would love to see a new take on the Generation Zero kids from the PRS storyline in Bloodshot… and at this point, something that ignores that Van Lente series that kind of ruined the potential of the group.
I’m not even sure if I read that many issues of that run… I really loved the whole idea of all those secret PRS kids initially - I believe they were first introduced by Dysart in the first VEI Harbinger Wars series if memory serves? Their own series just didn’t live up to their full potential at all. It is highly frustrating to me personally when a truly great sci-fi kind of concept in a comic like that gets reduced to “let’s put these characters into a high-school backdrop scenario - that will be good, right!”

This also ended up happening to some New Universe characters that Hickman brought into the 616 universe during his Avengers run… after he finished up his run there was a Star Brand & Nightmask mini-series (written by someone else) where these guys with cosmic level abilities (one of them was created in a vat by a godlike entity)… went back to… regular school? Okay…?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I’ve enjoyed some of his Marvel stuff quite a bit as that level of massive sprawling sci-fi concepts are right up my alley in *and* outside of superhero comics (House/Powers of X were truly fantastic series in my opinion)… but I agree with you that his style would potentially be a better fit in the Valiant universe as it wasn’t ever just a superhero universe to begin with.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:27:37 am

Cool.
I’m not even sure if I read that many issues of that run… I really loved the whole idea of all those secret PRS kids initially - I believe they were first introduced by Dysart in the first VEI Harbinger Wars series if memory serves? Their own series just didn’t live up to their full potential at all. It is highly frustrating to me personally when a truly great sci-fi kind of concept in a comic like that gets reduced to “let’s put these characters into a high-school backdrop scenario - that will be good, right!”

This also ended up happening to some New Universe characters that Hickman brought into the 616 universe during his Avengers run… after he finished up his run there was a Star Brand & Nightmask mini-series (written by someone else) where these guys with cosmic level abilities (one of them was created in a vat by a godlike entity)… went back to… regular school? Okay…?
Ellis' newuniversal was fantastic. It sucks that it ended so abruptly.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:36:59 am
grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:27:37 am

Cool.

Ellis' newuniversal was fantastic. It sucks that it ended so abruptly.
Agreed on both points - I love those comics! I was beyond excited to see the old New U get that kind of sci-fi themed overhaul treatment when that came out.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:17:15 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:36:59 am Ellis' newuniversal was fantastic. It sucks that it ended so abruptly.
Agreed on both points - I love those comics! I was beyond excited to see the old New U get that kind of sci-fi themed overhaul treatment when that came out.
I never read the original, which made me appreciate the reboot more than if Ihad.