Making the pilgrimage (Dec. 27th releases)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson
Making the pilgrimage (Dec. 27th releases)

Post by GammaJosh »

So tomorrow (Weds. Dec. 27th) is the first release date of new Valiant/Alien material. (Granted I already missed the release of the Book of Shadows hardcover, but that's not new material and I don't collect standard sized hardcovers.) Normally I only pick up my books once every 2-3 months, but I'll be making the pilgrimage to my LCS tomorrow to show support and make sure they have the new X-O Manowar and Ninjak.

Just wondering who else is planning to go show support. Personally I am looking forward to seeing this new Alien deluxe/prestige format! Plus Mike Norton is a personal favorite and highly underrated artist, so I am looking forward to seeing his turn on Ninjak!

GammaJosh
Re: Making the pilgrimage (Dec. 27th releases)

Post by GammaJosh »

Mission accomplished! Just got back from my LCS. They had ~5 copies of X-O Unconquered #4 on the rack (~4 cover A and 1 cover B). No X-O deluxe unfortunately. And I forgot to check if they had Ninjak: Superkillers on the rack. But I received one of everything in my sub box. At first glance I really like the deluxe format. The cover and paper stock are thick and high quality, similar to Bad Idea releases. Actually the single issue X-O Unconquered #4 is also a much better cover and paper stock than the DMG single issues. But for me the deluxe books are a nicer package and better page count for one sitting. Monthlies are great, but a 22 page modern comic just reads too quickly to stick with me, and I find myself either waiting for a whole story arc to release before reading, or re-reading previous issues when each new issue comes out. So I think I actually prefer these new Valiant/Alien deluxe format books!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

GammaJosh wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:52:58 pm Mission accomplished! Just got back from my LCS. They had ~5 copies of X-O Unconquered #4 on the rack (~4 cover A and 1 cover B). No X-O deluxe unfortunately. And I forgot to check if they had Ninjak: Superkillers on the rack. But I received one of everything in my sub box. At first glance I really like the deluxe format. The cover and paper stock are thick and high quality, similar to Bad Idea releases. Actually the single issue X-O Unconquered #4 is also a much better cover and paper stock than the DMG single issues. But for me the deluxe books are a nicer package and better page count for one sitting. Monthlies are great, but a 22 page modern comic just reads too quickly to stick with me, and I find myself either waiting for a whole story arc to release before reading, or re-reading previous issues when each new issue comes out. So I think I actually prefer these new Valiant/Alien deluxe format books!
Cool.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I like the idea of the prestige format. I am looking forward to checking them out in my next shipment.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I may hit up my LCS (which I've only gone to for bags/boards since moving here) to check out the Ninjak if they have it. I do like me some Mike Norton.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Nice to hear some positive enthusiasm for a good old-fashioned LCS trip on a VALIANT new release day! :thumb:

Personally I am getting that X-O series as digital-only, and I’m sorry to say that I forgot about the Ninjak book coming out this week too - I’ll have to see if I can nab a copy of that one to check out the new format in print. Ninjak was never an automatic-to-the-pull-list book for me in the past, although I did get print copies of *most* of the VEI-era Ninjak series up until DMG took over.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Hmmm… that’s interesting.

Just checked Amazon (.ca) for a digital copy of XO Unconquered #4 and there’s no sign of it. Also no sign of the Ninjak Superkillers #1 either… but there *are* pre-orders for the *hardcover* trade editions of both XO Unconquered & Ninjak Superkillers on there… :hm:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:15:16 am Hmmm… that’s interesting.

Just checked Amazon (.ca) for a digital copy of XO Unconquered #4 and there’s no sign of it. Also no sign of the Ninjak Superkillers #1 either… but there *are* pre-orders for the *hardcover* trade editions of both XO Unconquered & Ninjak Superkillers on there… :hm:
Someone posted about this on Facebook and I think I saw Dani reply that they're working on getting the digital version up on Amazon. I think there have been some headaches getting these initial releases set up for distribution since everything's coming from a new publisher (Alien) and new accounts & relationships had to be established.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

GammaJosh wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:03:18 pm
grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:15:16 am Hmmm… that’s interesting.

Someone posted about this on Facebook and I think I saw Dani reply that they're working on getting the digital version up on Amazon. I think there have been some headaches getting these initial releases set up for distribution since everything's coming from a new publisher (Alien) and new accounts & relationships had to be established.
Excellent - thanks for that info update, I do not check in on Facebook lately as much as I used to. (I mostly spend my time there tending to admin and content for the New Universe fanpage :) )

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Cool. Just joined! I have a near complete Marvel 1980s collection but excluded licensed books and imprints including Star and New Universe. Hickman kind of kicked the door open by bringing Starbrand and Nightmask into Avengers, so I've been slowly building interest in checking out the New Universe titles. Maybe the fan page will get me off the fence!