Ninjak Superkillers #1

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Ninjak Superkillers #1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Boring! Uninteresting characters, lame dialogue, cartoony art and basically just 40 odd pages of Ninjak killing Z list characters.

Jeff Parker/Mike Norton have already had a crack at doing Ninjak and it was very average, why Valiant editor Lisa Hawkins saw to make her re-hire this team is perplexing? Maybe it’s the best she can get for the money Valiant are willing to pay.

2.5/5 - not worth the money

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson
Re: Ninjak Superkillers #1

Post by GammaJosh »

When did Parker and Norton work together on Ninjak prior to Superkillers?

I did not enjoy the Parker/Pullido mini-series and was initially disappointed that Superkillers was a direct continuation. The spy genre is not my thing anyway. But I appreciate Mike Norton's art and liked the buddy dynamic between Ninjak and Myna, so this somewhat won me over by the end.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

GammaJosh wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:09:58 am When did Parker and Norton work together on Ninjak prior to Superkillers?

I did not enjoy the Parker/Pullido mini-series and was initially disappointed that Superkillers was a direct continuation. The spy genre is not my thing anyway. But I appreciate Mike Norton's art and liked the buddy dynamic between Ninjak and Myna, so this somewhat won me over by the end.
Yeah pretty sure Mike Norton worked on the previous mini, taking over from Pullido.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

they where not in my pull box, but saw them on the shelf.
I picked them up to take to the till, but flicked through them first, and put them back on the shelf.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:21:36 am
GammaJosh wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:09:58 am When did Parker and Norton work together on Ninjak prior to Superkillers?

Yeah pretty sure Mike Norton worked on the previous mini, taking over from Pullido.
Nope, that was Beni Lobel. I don't think Norton has worked on Ninjak before.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I thought this was an ok read. I like Mike Nortons art although this did feel a tad cartoonish.

I also had not been following every Ninjak series prior to this one (I for sure skipped the Parker/Polido series) and definitely felt like I was missing something - where did these humanoid animal characters come from? I’m actually ok with that though, not knowing some plot points does not intrinsically bother me as I grew up on trying out all sorts of comics without having a clue what was going on until I got up to speed over a few issues.

I’m also not a huge fan of Ninjak in general anyway, but wanted to support Alien books getting underway with their new Valiant releases. I probably would have preferred to buy this one as a digital release instead but picked it up at my LCS when I saw it on the shelf.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;