Anthologies and Team Books

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Anthologies and Team Books

Post by ManofTheAtom »

If VALIANT had anthologies like Marvel's Journey Into Mystery and Tales To Astonish and DC's Showcase and team-up books like DC's The Brave & The Bold, what would they be called?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re: Anthologies and Team Books

Post by syzhang28 »

"Cancelled in 2 issues"

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:21:24 pm "Cancelled in 2 issues"
Someone get that man a prize.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Although "Fist & Steel" is specifically about Gilad the Eternal Warrior, that could work as the title of a team-up series.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:22:58 pm Although "Fist & Steel" is specifically about Gilad the Eternal Warrior, that could work as the title of a team-up series.
'Fist & Steel' specifically refers to the duo of Gilad and Ninjak.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

TheFerg714 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:41:18 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:22:58 pm Although "Fist & Steel" is specifically about Gilad the Eternal Warrior, that could work as the title of a team-up series.
Must be a VEI thing. "Fist and steel of the Earth" was exclusively about Gilad.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:25:37 pm
Someone get that man a prize.
a no-prize is the way to go!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:31:44 am
lol. dude, you really gotta read more Valiant. I love your comments. It's like being on a Star Wars message board and saying "what do you mean Darth Vadar is lukes dad. Obi clearly said in the one movie I watched that Vadar killed Luke's dad" lol

VEI took the kinda pedestrian idea for being the Fist and steel of the Earth and created a really cool relationship between Ninjak and Gilad. They are the Fist (gilad) and the steel (ninjak). Some pretty epic stories of them teaming up.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:44:13 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:31:44 am
lol. dude, you really gotta read more Valiant. I love your comments. It's like being on a Star Wars message board and saying "what do you mean Darth Vadar is lukes dad. Obi clearly said in the one movie I watched that Vadar killed Luke's dad" lol

VEI took the kinda pedestrian idea for being the Fist and steel of the Earth and created a really cool relationship between Ninjak and Gilad. They are the Fist (gilad) and the steel (ninjak). Some pretty epic stories of them teaming up.
As stated before, I read everything up until Stalinverse, but I've only read it once and didn't memorize it. Unlike VH 1, which I've read dozens of times.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Tim »

I like the "idea" of these kinds of books more than I like the actual products usually. Marvel had some magic when they did the old "Strange Tales" and Tales to Astonish" type books and some of those titles were positively glorious, but they storytelling back then made it so you could actually tell fun stories in 10 pages. I don't know a modern writer who could pull that off.

And I LOVE the idea of anthology books, mainly because I remember Marvel Comics Presents fondly from my childhood, but jeez...have any of you tried reading those old issues lately? I tried to get through the entire run a few years ago and with notable exceptions, they're just filler stories that are almost always yawners.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Tim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58:18 pm I like the "idea" of these kinds of books more than I like the actual products usually. Marvel had some magic when they did the old "Strange Tales" and Tales to Astonish" type books and some of those titles were positively glorious, but they storytelling back then made it so you could actually tell fun stories in 10 pages. I don't know a modern writer who could pull that off.

And I LOVE the idea of anthology books, mainly because I remember Marvel Comics Presents fondly from my childhood, but jeez...have any of you tried reading those old issues lately? I tried to get through the entire run a few years ago and with notable exceptions, they're just filler stories that are almost always yawners.
The content definitely does not hold up, heh.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Tim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58:18 pm I like the "idea" of these kinds of books more than I like the actual products usually. Marvel had some magic when they did the old "Strange Tales" and Tales to Astonish" type books and some of those titles were positively glorious, but they storytelling back then made it so you could actually tell fun stories in 10 pages. I don't know a modern writer who could pull that off.

With the exception of Weopon X, the Sam Kieth stuff, and there's a cool Gulacy sci-fi character in there. Occasional gems but mostly filler yeah.

I kinda like the idea of grouping similar characters together like what VH2 did with the Immortal brothers. Bloodshot and Ninjak are in a similar space, maybe they could share a book.

I agree that the idea of these kind of books is usually better than how it actually ever works out though.

Tim
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Tim »

With the exception of Weopon X, the Sam Kieth stuff, and there's a cool Gulacy sci-fi character in there. Occasional gems but mostly filler yeah
Those were precisely the notable exceptions I was talking about. :D
And the Steve Lightle covers were incredible.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Team books:
Archer & Armstrong
Quantum and Woody

Anthology:
The Harbinger Files
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!