Britannia: The Great Fire of Rome

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Britannia: The Great Fire of Rome

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

It’s been a while since a Britannia book was released and my memory of the characters was sketchy at best. Expectations weren’t too high on this one ….but it was actually VERY GOOD!!

When it was first launched, Britannia seemed an odd fit as it wasn’t explained how it meshed with the rest of the Valiant U. Writer Peter Milligan pulls out all the stops here and firmly fixes the characters of Britannia alongside other well established Valiant characters. Was this always the next intended chapter I wonder?? :hm: It felt like I was back in the Dinesh era, like there was a long term ‘plan’ for the books and not just another random release.

In terms of the story, there’s a few different (but interesting) plot threads. A fire in Rome which Emperor Nero wants Antonius to ‘investigate’ and pin the blame on the Christians for, a mysterious woman who hires the Detectioner to find her brother Gilad (that’s right!) and a side plot which involves the Forgotten Queen (remember her? Pun intended). Although not named, Armstrong also makes and appearance during the investigation by Antonius which is nicely disguised by Milligan.

Just when you think the plot twists and ties to Valiant continuity are done there’s one more…turns out Gilad’s ‘mysterious sister’ is none other than the eternal dying one :o Yeah, the one with the different coloured eyes who comes back from death into a new body!!!! :o

Milligan nails this story, the art is decent enough and continuity is firmly established.

4.5/5 - very enjoyable. Buy it and support Alien when they get something right :thumb:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Britannia: The Great Fire of Rome

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Cool.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ize
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Antonius Axia
Favorite title: Britannia
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Ize »

I agree. Really enjoyed this book - a great read.

These are the levels I'd like them to maintain.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

This one is sitting in my reading pile. Thanks for the review. Can’t wait to dive into it with your mention of the connections to Gilad and Armstrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

This was just OK for me. I enjoyed the appearances by the Anni-Pada clan, and the Geomancer reveal. But the overall “mystery” didn’t really draw me in and Axia’s obsession with the dying one just seemed unnecessary. It was a little too Sam Spade for me.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

aj583
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

I thought it was solid. Antonius seemed a bit more shaky then I remember him. Maybe that was scarpia’s influence. Really liked how they did the cameos. Center to the storyline but not too much in-person page time. I feel they are trying to treat the characters and Valiant history with care, and I like that. The last few pages seemed a bit rushed, but again, like the overall effort. A good start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk