Bob Layton finds... Shadowking!

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Bob Layton finds... Shadowking!

Post by greg »

Here's the latest from the Bob boxes...

-------------------
While I am recovering, I had the missus bring in one of those old Valiant boxes for me to sort thru.

In it, I found this model sheet I drew for a proposed Shadowman Yearbook #2. I thought the guys might enjoy seeing it. Unfortunately, the notes for the story weren’t in that particular box—so I’ll have to keep searching for the plot outline. What I remember was that The Shadowking was an alternate Jack, who miraculously survived the destruction of Phil Seleski’s universe and eventually becomes a tyrannical cult figure in the Lost Land. The story pitted Jack against the Shadowking, whose dark powers far exceeded the benign Boniface of the VI universe. I believe the evil Jack was dying and was attempting to switch bodies with our hero—using a malevolently mystic song he’s spent his lifetime composing on his “flute of doom”.

That’s all I can remember. When I find the notes, I’ll pass them along.

The original model sheet is 11”x15” in pencil form.

Thanks.

Bob

(enlarge this scan)

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

I am sucker for anything shadowman related!

-A
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

that is sooooo coooooollllll :!:

concept is great and awesome art

thanks Bob
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

This is too cool!

"Flute of Doom"?:)

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

I think that if I was Bob I would be using all of this downtime to create tons of "unpublished" work to sell to all of us crazy weirdos...err..I mean "fans". I mean a bizzaro type world would keep him busy for a while and we would all eat it up...hell if he came out with a "bizzaro" bloodshot we would probably all sit on here and argue about which is more badass..Hell he could come up with all the "bizzaro" characters and tell us that they were going to make it that the first bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot and that the real bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot...man that would blow our freaky little minds...please dont do that Bob. :D

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

DawgPhan wrote:I think that if I was Bob I would be using all of this downtime to create tons of "unpublished" work to sell to all of us crazy weirdos...err..I mean "fans". I mean a bizzaro type world would keep him busy for a while and we would all eat it up...hell if he came out with a "bizzaro" bloodshot we would probably all sit on here and argue about which is more badass..Hell he could come up with all the "bizzaro" characters and tell us that they were going to make it that the first bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot and that the real bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot...man that would blow our freaky little minds...please dont do that Bob. :D
Are you kidding?? I wanna see a Bizzaro Sting, maybe he could be straight? Go for it Bob!

Master Dorque
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Master Dorque »

Mr. Wiggly just got a new nick-name...."FLUTE OF DOOM"! :wink:

willyt
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
lol

Post by willyt »

lol

justin

Post by justin »

LMAO

:lol: -A
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

Bob Layton
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by Bob Layton »

<<I think that if I was Bob I would be using all of this downtime to create tons of "unpublished" work to sell to all of us crazy weirdos...err..I mean "fans". I mean a bizzaro type world would keep him busy for a while and we would all eat it up...hell if he came out with a "bizzaro" bloodshot we would probably all sit on here and argue about which is more badass..Hell he could come up with all the "bizzaro" characters and tell us that they were going to make it that the first bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot and that the real bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot...man that would blow our freaky little minds...please dont do that Bob. >>

I totally resent the implication that I would create "bogus unpublished work". I was the one of the major creative forces at Valiant--even Shooter's reign was based largely on concepts I brought to him (i.e. Alpha & Omega and X-O Manowar). I have boxes of stuff--because it was my job to come up with stuff.
So--you take a kick at me while I'm down? Shame on you.
If it's not appreciated, I'll simply quit sharing it.

Bob

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

Bob Layton wrote:<<I think that if I was Bob I would be using all of this downtime to create tons of "unpublished" work to sell to all of us crazy weirdos...err..I mean "fans". I mean a bizzaro type world would keep him busy for a while and we would all eat it up...hell if he came out with a "bizzaro" bloodshot we would probably all sit on here and argue about which is more badass..Hell he could come up with all the "bizzaro" characters and tell us that they were going to make it that the first bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot and that the real bloodshot was really the "bizzaro" bloodshot...man that would blow our freaky little minds...please dont do that Bob. >>

I totally resent the implication that I would create "bogus unpublished work". I was the one of the major creative forces at Valiant--even Shooter's reign was based largely on concepts I brought to him (i.e. Alpha & Omega and X-O Manowar). I have boxes of stuff--because it was my job to come up with stuff.
So--you take a kick at me while I'm down? Shame on you.
If it's not appreciated, I'll simply quit sharing it.

Bob
Hey Bob,
He was completly joking. I'm sure he mean't no harm by it. We all know you would never do anything even half as unethical. Sometimes its a bit hard to read what people mean by thier posts because its all just text but the " :D " face he used at the end was meant to indicate that it was all just a joke. In bad taste yes. But a joke nonetheless. At any rate I think we would all understand if this episode left a bad taste in your mouth and you no longer wished to share your treasures. But honestly I'm sure it was meant as fun.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I think Bob has better things to do than to create bogus stuff to sell to us. I'm rather certain of it.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

I thought it was in bad taste also, but I always get told to chill out, so I didn't say anything...until now...

It was nice to have Bob in here for a while. Great way to cap off a 5th Anniversary Celebration!

Thanks Dawg, let's see if you can get rid of Kevin or JayJay next... :D ---Steve G

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

Bob,

You were a true visionary in the creation of the Valiant Universe and we are all in awe of the great things you share with us that were never published. I would LOVE to have any of the great pieces you have shown us - they are just a bit out of my price range at the moment (I just purchased a home and am in the middle of some MAJOR renovations) - as they are truly great works of art.

Please do not let a bad joke stop you from sharing more of your unpublished Valiant artwork and storylines as they are awesome and we all appreciate being able to see them.

Thanks for all the great memories from the Valiant Era and for sharing your newly unearthed discoveries - it has been a real treat!

One of your biggest fans,
Chris Gould

Bob Layton
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by Bob Layton »

Hey--I'm over it.
Dawg-Phan--you're a funny guy.
I apologize for letting that "fan" get under my skin. I suppose its a knee-jerk reaction to having eaten *SQUEE* for a decade over Valiant stuff I wasn't my fault.
Sorry.

Anyway, I'll keep looking for the story notes on the Shadowman Yearbook and share them with you when they turn up.

I also found some original concept drawings for Alpha & Omega--prior to BWS coming onboard. As soon as I get them scanned, I'll share those as well. They're not real exciting--but it's still part of the history.

Did you guys ever see the original cover to Dr. Tomorrow #12? I did it before walking off of the final issue. (V2 left an awful taste in my mouth.)
My art dealer has had it in his possession for years. If you want to see it, I'll try to get it posted soon.

Bob
bob@futurecomicsonline.com

chimchim
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by chimchim »

Hi Bob,

I don't think you ever have to ask us if we want to see cool stuff :) It is awesome to see rare stuff like this!! Please post it all :)

Thanks again
Last edited by chimchim on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:43:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

myron

Post by myron »

Did you guys ever see the original cover to Dr. Tomorrow #12? I did it before walking off of the final issue. (V2 left an awful taste in my mouth.)
My art dealer has had it in his possession for years. If you want to see it, I'll try to get it posted soon.
I for one would love to see it...if at all possible.

TIA :!:

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Hi Bob-
It's GREAT to see you back here today!:) I can only imagine the *SQUEE* you've had to put up with over the past 10 years. I don't think I could have put up with it. I'd probably be doing 25 to Life for offing a smart-mouthed fan-boy!:)

I'm sure I speak for the majority when I say "You're Always Welcome Here!":)

Best regards---Steve G
Last edited by Vault-Keeper on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

Is it just me or does this "Shadow-King" look strikingly similar to St. James?

-Dave

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

DJSpecter wrote:Is it just me or does this "Shadow-King" look strikingly similar to St. James?

-Dave
I was thinking the same thing! The "quesda-like pads" make a difference though.

hillmanthe2nd

Post by hillmanthe2nd »

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/ar ... cn=233&f=y

Bob,

Do can you shed some light on this piece? Was this intended for a Shadowman Yearbook?

myron

Post by myron »

boy, that certainly looks like the shadowking that bob described...

justin

Post by justin »

Ron, I am drooooooling a bunch!

-A

Bob Layton
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by Bob Layton »

I believe that, although the story was never done, design elements were used elsewhere.

Bob

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Ron, that is one BADASS piece! Who's the artist? I can't put my finger on it. Is that an original inked piece? That's definitely the Shadow-King!:)---Steve G