Bob Layton finds... Shadowking!

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hillmanthe2nd

Post by hillmanthe2nd »

Vault-Keeper wrote:Ron, that is one BADASS piece! Who's the artist? I can't put my finger on it. Is that an original inked piece? That's definitely the Shadow-King!:)---Steve G
I can't remember off the top who the artist is but it is an original inked piece. Would have made a great cover!

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

I can't get over how nice this illustration is! Was this part of the original "Petrilak Horde"? Is it for sale?:) Regardless, thanks for sharing, Ron. Maybe I can get Bob to do a cover repro off your pic.:)

Plus it lays to rest any doubts among the 'skeptics' that Bob is fabricating unpublished 'bizzaro' characters!:) Put that in your "Flute of Doom" and blow it, DawgPhan! :D

Just kiddin' ya, Dawg! Woof!---Steve G

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by qrnd »

With so much detail towards the top of the piece, Id be more likely to guess that it was a poster of some sort rather than a potential cover.

I also think the backstory mentioned for the character sounds interesting, it would be great to hear how much influence he would have had within all the titles.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

'Big Quesada like pads'.....

ROFL!!!!

<wipes tears from eyes>...Joe'd get a kick outta that. :)

Bob Layton
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by Bob Layton »

<<Here's the latest from the Bob boxes...
While I am recovering, I had the missus bring in one of those old Valiant boxes for me to sort thru.
In it, I found this model sheet I drew for a proposed Shadowman Yearbook #2. I thought the guys might enjoy seeing it. Unfortunately, the notes for the story weren’t in that particular box—so I’ll have to keep searching for the plot outline. What I remember was that The Shadowking was an alternate Jack, who miraculously survived the destruction of Phil Seleski’s universe and eventually becomes a tyrannical cult figure in the Lost Land. The story pitted Jack against the Shadowking, whose dark powers far exceeded the benign Boniface of the VI universe. I believe the evil Jack was dying and was attempting to switch bodies with our hero—using a malevolently mystic song he’s spent his lifetime composing on his “flute of doom”.
That’s all I can remember. When I find the notes, I’ll pass them along.
The original model sheet is 11”x15” in pencil form.
Thanks. >>

HeyValiant Guys,

The fellow who won the bid on this drawing never sent the funds--so I'm placing this model sheet back up for sale.
The only difference in the piece is it's now inked (at the request of the buyer).
Anyone interested in the Shadowking model sheet (or the Solar model sheets and Dr. Tomorrow cover) can send a bid to me at: bob@boblayton.com

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

I sent you an email, Bob.

Bob Layton
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by Bob Layton »

<<I sent you an email, Bob.>>

Dear V-K,
Never got it, pal.