Autographed Nintendo Valiant Comics Found at Flea Market

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

CuriousGeorge
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Autographed Nintendo Valiant Comics Found at Flea Market

Post by CuriousGeorge »

Hello everyone,

I apologize for not getting to know anyone before making my first topic.

Recently, in Kentucky, I found at the flea market a lot of Nintendo Valiant comics. It wasn't until later I discovered that four of them have been autographed by the creators.

Refer to the pictures if you wish. I was wanting to know how authentic are these, and how hard are they to find? If you have any clue as to the price that would also be appreciated. Were these signed at a convention or were they a prize for winning a contest?

http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/7239/00015150ir.jpg
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/6937/00015168pt.jpg
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/8920/00015179em.jpg
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/95/00015202lw.jpg
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/46/00015234kt.jpg

Thank you

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

Very nice, they look authentic to me!

-justin
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

They do look authentic. A couple look like they were signed by pretty much the whole Valiant staff at the time. I have a feeling these were created in the Valiant offices and given away to fans as thank yous.

A few also look like they have some browning on the spine. The most uncommon book there is the SMB Volume 2 #1. The most valuable (disregarding the signitures) is the Zelda 1. I assume it's a Volume 1, but you can't tell for sure from the picture.

I would not be surprised if the Zelda fetched $20. And about $10 each (retail) for the rest. Buyers might be hard to find though, but maybe not.

cshepard81
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: Autographed Nintendo Valiant Comics Found at Flea Market

Post by cshepard81 »

I'd be interested in this one in the neighborhood of what ckb mentioned if you're thinking about selling and want to PM me.

CuriousGeorge
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok

Post by CuriousGeorge »

Thanks guy for all the info. I've been trying to google the comics and can't find anything about these signed Nintendo comics. If I ever decide to get rid of them I'll make a new thread in the future or post in this one and let you guys know so you can bid on them in ebay. I'm a huge Nintendo buff and plan on keeping these for quite a while as collectables. Thank you again.

Zelda has five signatures, although two are really light. Hindsight is 20/20. It's a vol #2 #1. All twenty comics I bought in the lot seem to date 1991 or later.

ckb

Post by ckb »

The Volume II Zeldas are harder to find, but not as nice as the cardstock cover and oversized Volume I's.

Your copies are a wonderful piece of Valiant history, especially the SMB with like 10 signitures. There is a Valiant Nintendo web site, but I have never seen information specificially on signed Nintendo books anywhere.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Very nice!
I collect the Valiant Nintendo stuff and have nearly a full run.
You should email Quinton at the Valiant Firsts website.
I bet he'd love to see pix of 'em and may be able to offer
some insight.
http://www.qrnd.com/vf/

:thumb: DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

CuriousGeorge
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok

Post by CuriousGeorge »

I think I sent you an email Dan instead of this Quinton, if you could forward it to him maybe he'll know where these came from(contest, signing). The lady I bought these from also had some of the magnus robot warrior #1 and 0. I don't know if these were signed or not, how much would they be worth if they were? It's an hour drive back to the flea market to see if she is there or not tomorrow.

ckb

Post by ckb »

CuriousGeorge wrote:I think I sent you an email Dan instead of this Quinton, if you could forward it to him maybe he'll know where these came from(contest, signing). The lady I bought these from also had some of the magnus robot warrior #1 and 0. I don't know if these were signed or not, how much would they be worth if they were? It's an hour drive back to the flea market to see if she is there or not tomorrow.
The Magnus 0's have a low print run. That was a send-away book or a retailer incentive. You should look at the guide prices on this site, and remember that condition is king.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

These books are great. I see most have been signed by that 'Shoop' guy and two pretty famous singers Jade (smooth operator) and Janet Jackson... wow, what a catch !!! :lol:

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by qrnd »

Heres a listing of the signatures I can see from your pictures, the ones with the question mark I'm not sure of:

Adventures of the Super Mario Bros #1
Mark McClellan, Jade Moede, Jim Shooter, John Walker, ?George Caragonne, Bill Vallely, Art Nichols

Super Mario Bros v2 #1
Mark McClellan, Jim Shooter, ?George Caragonne, Art Nichols, Janet Jackson, Jade Moede, Bill Vallely

Nintendo Comics System #1
Jim Shooter, ?George Caragonne, Art Nichols, Jade Moede

Legend of Zelda v2 #1
Janet Jackson, Jim Shooter, Jade Moede, ?George Caragonne, ?Rodney Ramos

These books are all from February of 1991, which was when the format of the books was converted to the standard comic size and paper, and every title restarted from #1. It's possible the signers were attending some kind of local media event, or as mentioned may have been done in house - I'll ask and try to find out. The only signed Nintendo book I've seen before is the Best of the Super Mario Bros Hardback.

I agree that all the signatures look authentic. Its interesting to note they were all signed in pen, which if I'm not mistaken is not the norm for conventions (or the later signed Valiants). Except for the water/mold damage visible on the Adventures of Super Mario Bros comic, Id guess this collection of autographs would infuse some interest into the books which otherwise wouldn't be there. You shouldn't have too much trouble selling them, especially now that the board is aware of them.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Very cool find, George! Welcome to the boards.---Steve