New updates at BobLayton.com

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
New updates at BobLayton.com

Post by magnusr »

New month and new updates. The first letter on the letter page is especially interesting:
http://boblayton.com/letterspage.htm

/Magnus

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing it out Magnusr

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

:hm:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

I'm just glad to see the situation resolved. It would have been a shame for Bob Layton to not even want to have anything to do with a new Valiant because of a misunderstanding.
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Hey, is that second letter from our very own Rubik???

(J/K, RQB.....) :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slym (read it, you'll get it)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

Hopefully Bob will work again on X-O Manowar sometime in the future in some way, shape or form. :thumb:

The way I look at it Bob is one of the founding fathers of Valiant and his greatest creation in his time there is X-O. Having Bob work again on this great character would help to bring X-O full circle and bring some clout to Valiant Entertainment. :)

These are all my opinions - I am sure there are people on this site that think I am totally nuts for thinking this way. :P

Chris
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

k_c_collectibles wrote:Hopefully Bob will work again on X-O Manowar sometime in the future in some way, shape or form. :thumb:
If only to fix the ending to XO #68 and give it a proper follow up that restores VALIANT, not insults it.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Solar_OSX
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Solar_OSX »

Very interesting read. Thanks for the heads up with that link.

Ya know, Bob was incredibly important to the Valiant universe and it's great to see the new owners of the characters recognize that and go out of their way to make sure Bob knew that, too.

A little thing like being the first to hold out the hand of friendship can go a long ways.

Hopefully good things will come from that. No one could draw X-O quite like Bob.

:atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Good question, Michael.
I'd like to answer it on next month's letters page, if that's okay with you.
Thanks,
Bob
Now just gotta wait for a reply :)
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Bob Layton wrote:I wasn't exaggerating when I said that I heard that info from multiple sources. But, as I have experienced on various occasions, there are some on the message board who are simply mean-spirited and take great delight in creating situations such as this one.
What exactly is he talking about here? Is he referring to another message board? I don't ever remember anyone around here saying that the new owners would never hire him because they didn't like him.

TimeWillTell
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by TimeWillTell »

What exactly is he talking about here? Is he referring to another message board? I don't ever remember anyone around here saying that the new owners would never hire him because they didn't like him.
I'm wondering the same thing... he's talking about multiple sources and the message board. Can anyone elaborate here?

-TWT

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

TimeWillTell wrote:
I'm wondering the same thing... he's talking about multiple sources and the message board. Can anyone elaborate here?

-TWT
so much stuff on here it's easy to miss...
Knightt wrote:John Taddeo was willing to pay Layton for a 8-10 page story, pencils and inks of an X-O story that would be inserted for free into an issue of Zoom Suit... he was willing to pay for it all AND give dino and crew all the scripts and pages of art FOR FREE... and dino in his infinite wisdom turned it down saying.... "I don't like/trust Bob Layton."
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#179152

TimeWillTell

Post by TimeWillTell »

Knightt wrote:
John Taddeo was willing to pay Layton for a 8-10 page story, pencils and inks of an X-O story that would be inserted for free into an issue of Zoom Suit... he was willing to pay for it all AND give dino and crew all the scripts and pages of art FOR FREE... and dino in his infinite wisdom turned it down saying.... "I don't like/trust Bob Layton."[

Good find Todd. Yes, there is a lot to go through here. I had forgotten about that. I guess the question is, was Knightt referring to a conversation he had with John Taddeo or got this information from another source? It appears obvious from the letter that Dino respects Bob.

Knightt?

-TWT

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

TimeWillTell wrote:
Knightt wrote:
John Taddeo was willing to pay Layton for a 8-10 page story, pencils and inks of an X-O story that would be inserted for free into an issue of Zoom Suit... he was willing to pay for it all AND give dino and crew all the scripts and pages of art FOR FREE... and dino in his infinite wisdom turned it down saying.... "I don't like/trust Bob Layton."[

Good find Todd. Yes, there is a lot to go through here. I had forgotten about that. I guess the question is, was Knightt referring to a conversation he had with John Taddeo or got this information from another source? It appears obvious from the letter that Dino respects Bob.

Knightt?

-TWT
There has to be more to it than just that one post setting him off. That sure would be silly of Bob to base his whole assumption that "the new owners don't like him" on that one quote.

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

When I first joined this site there were rumors that Bob was on the site and left due to "some" individuals being rude and blaming him for the fall of Valiant because of he and Jim Shooters fight. I don't know if this is true or wht the "some" are but that was something going around when I first joined.
I do chicken right!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

tcolli wrote:When I first joined this site there were rumors that Bob was on the site and left due to "some" individuals being rude and blaming him for the fall of Valiant because of he and Jim Shooters fight. I don't know if this is true or wht the "some" are but that was something going around when I first joined.
Yeah that's true, but in all fairness Bob brought some of that on himself. I don't want to start that whole thing up again, but let's just say that his version of what went down with Valiant and Jim's are two entirely different scenarios (and personally, I believe the Shooter version).

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

I wasn't here but have heard both sides and imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle but what do I know.
I do chicken right!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

tcolli wrote:I wasn't here but have heard both sides and imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle but what do I know.
IMO, this interview ought to be required reading.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/joe/shooter/

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

tcolli wrote:.... something going around when I first joined.
Dude. I thought you were going to keep that between you, me, and the midget.

It's not like a shot of penicillin didn't clear it right up.

Sure, it hurts to pee for a couple days....that's the price you pay.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
tcolli wrote:When I first joined this site there were rumors that Bob was on the site and left due to "some" individuals being rude and blaming him for the fall of Valiant because of he and Jim Shooters fight. I don't know if this is true or wht the "some" are but that was something going around when I first joined.
Yeah that's true, but in all fairness Bob brought some of that on himself. I don't want to start that whole thing up again, but let's just say that his version of what went down with Valiant and Jim's are two entirely different scenarios (and personally, I believe the Shooter version).
I believe the Midget's version.

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

:lol: BTW, it took me WEEKS to get that oil out of all those spots. Man, live and learn! :thumb:
I do chicken right!

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
I believe the Midget's version.
I told that little ba$tard to keep his mouth shut :!:
I do chicken right!

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

tcolli wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

:lol: BTW, it took me WEEKS to get that oil out of all those spots. Man, live and learn! :thumb:
Just be glad we didn't do it at the beach......

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
tcolli wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

Just be glad we didn't do it at the beach......
...during high tide
I do chicken right!

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

TimeWillTell wrote:Good find Todd. Yes, there is a lot to go through here. I had forgotten about that. I guess the question is, was Knightt referring to a conversation he had with John Taddeo or got this information from another source? It appears obvious from the letter that Dino respects Bob.

Knightt?

-TWT
Sorry for not responding to this sooner. I have not been skirting the issue but have just been TERRIBLY ill among a couple of other health issues at the moment.

I am not sure what folks think of me here on the boards but I would tell everyone that I do not just make things up. I based my post on a direct conversation with John Taddeo and then had him on AIM to double check if it was ok to post that info to which he responded 'post it' (I paraphrase here). The only thing that I omitted was a dollar amount for the work to be done.

I make a habit of posting info that I know or strongly feel to be correct Whether anyone chooses to believe it or deny it.... that is on them. I have been PMed with 'I don't know what your agenda is...' and to date, I have NO agenda or 'motive' nor have I ever had one and feel no need for one.

At this point, I will not post anything more in response to a request and a desire to not damage what I feel is an already fragile friendship.

I hope that this makes sense.

Defiantly Yours,
Chris