Valiant Trade

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ex-collector
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant Trade

Post by ex-collector »

Long ago I traded by a whole run of x-men (1st gambit, 1st jim lee...) for the entire unity series. It was my first try at valiant comics. Even though prices now prove I am in the minority on demand...it was the best trade I made. :D

I gave up collecting years ago, but this forum brings back many great memories. In fact, I have recently dug up the old books and re-read many of them. Just as good (at least early valiants) as I recalled.

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

Same here Ex. I was a Valiant fanatic back in the day, but this forum has really caused my interest to resurface. Over the last 4-5 years I haven't done much reading or buying, so I have some time to make up for!

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors
Re: Valiant Trade

Post by DawgPhan »

ex-collector wrote:Long ago I traded by a whole run of x-men (1st gambit, 1st jim lee...) for the entire unity series. It was my first try at valiant comics. Even though prices now prove I am in the minority on demand...it was the best trade I made. :D

I gave up collecting years ago, but this forum brings back many great memories. In fact, I have recently dug up the old books and re-read many of them. Just as good (at least early valiants) as I recalled.
Dont think that you are the only one that made some "
suspect" trades back in the day. I am sure that anyone that collected valiants back in the day has atleast 1 horror story of how they paid too much for a book or traded away there spider-mans for some post unity books

jusdb
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by jusdb »

i picked up all the valiants i could afford back in the day (no pre unity :( ) i remember paying a pretty big chunk of change for EW#4 just to get bloodshots 1st c appearance.

i started digging up my comics a few years ago and i began to remeber valiant and how much i enjoyed them....lead me here and now thanks to my quest to complete the series, back into comics...though not as "hardcore" as when i was younger.

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

I paid $9 for Eternal Warrior #1 a week after it came out and $10 for Unity #1. While Eternal Warrior didn't impress me terribly, Unity was intense. I was hooked instantly. It was a cross-over WAR that lasted MONTHS. It was a realistic concept that was new to comics. Heaven forbid if any of the other publishers have their crossovers take place longer then a week tops.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

I traded many of my early Valiant when they were hot. I traded Harbinger 1 for a vf/xf copy of Silver Surfer 1 (the old series square bound). So I paid $2.25 or $2.50 for my Silver Surfer 1 as I got the Harbinger for cover price. I traded away almost all my pre unity stuff for Silver Age. I got Ironman 1-5, Sub Mariner 1-5, Nick Fury 1-3, marvel team up 1, Silver Surfer 1, and a bunch of other stuff.

I did that a bunch of times with other "hot" books of the early 90's.

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by qrnd »

x-omatic those are some nice deals you picked up. Was it foresight, or did you just really want those Silver Age Marvels?

lobo

Post by lobo »

x-omatic wrote:I traded many of my early Valiant when they were hot. I traded Harbinger 1 for a vf/xf copy of Silver Surfer 1 (the old series square bound). So I paid $2.25 or $2.50 for my Silver Surfer 1 as I got the Harbinger for cover price. I traded away almost all my pre unity stuff for Silver Age. I got Ironman 1-5, Sub Mariner 1-5, Nick Fury 1-3, marvel team up 1, Silver Surfer 1, and a bunch of other stuff.

I did that a bunch of times with other "hot" books of the early 90's.
Well you did good those trades, hindsite as always 20/20. Most silver and Bronze books were cheap in the early 90s compared to now. I remember staring at a Amazing Fantasy #15, probably VF, and the dealer wanting 'only' $800. I hummed and hawed but said no because I could not really afford on blowing $800 on one comic while being in highschool at the time. I really wish I had that book now!
So anyways buy Valiant everybody! Like I have to tell you already!

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

hey x-o as if your deal wasn't good enough-it was 30 cents better than you thought-because harbinger 1 was $1.95 not $2.25 cover price!! sweet! :wink:

R Daneel
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

dave wrote:hey x-o as if your deal wasn't good enough-it was 30 cents better than you thought-because harbinger 1 was $1.95 not $2.25 cover price!! sweet! :wink:
OK, that was a good deal then ... I was unconvinced for a second. :wink:

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

uruchuu wrote:x-omatic those are some nice deals you picked up. Was it foresight, or did you just really want those Silver Age Marvels?
I worked part time in a comic shop right after I started collecting comics. Somehow a was able to get a pulse on what was happening. Somehow it just made sense to trade a $2.00 book for a 30 year old one. If I rember right I went to a convention right when Valiant first started. I looked at the Silver age stuff and was amazed that books less than a year old were selling for more than, what I considered at the time, key silver age. I didn't know at the time that Silver Surfer 1 was really the first Silver Surfer. Same with the Sub Mariner and Ironman. To me it just seemed like a smarter investment.

I think part of it was my experience in trading cards and MTG (magic the gathering) I started on the beta set. Had many full sets up to the revised edition.

Everyone wants the shinny new thing when it is new. Then they forget about why they liked it and maybe sell it. Then years later, like us now, they remember why it was so great and want it again.

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

this is a really cool topic that was onthe very last page...anyone else have any great valiant trades-or not so great?

when i first got to the boards i still needed rai #3, soi traded a bloodshot 6 vvss forone...good deal or bad?!

cshepard81
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by cshepard81 »

dave wrote:when i first got to the boards i still needed rai #3, soi traded a bloodshot 6 vvss forone...good deal or bad?!
IMHO, I'd say good trade. The only Valiant signature I'd really be interested in paying for would be Shooter's, and his are still relatively easy to find over at MHC.

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

I paid way too much for most of my early Valiants but I did make some good trades before the prices dropped. I traded a Magnus 1, Solar 1 and one othe book I can'r remember for a VF X-Men #94, I aslo traded a handful of preunity books for a F copy of Amazing Spiderman #14.

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

in alot of ways, im blessed for being young. and by that i mean, i get the valiants alot cheaper than the people who bought them during the 90s.