Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993
CGC File Copies

Post by dino »

Someone I've never seen selling valiants put up three 'file copy' high grade CGC's. He claims they were given to him in 1993. I hit two of the bins (strangely cheap).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2261671916

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2261671152

But then he replied saying ebay made a mistake and he relisted them
"I do appologize...there has been an error in the listing.
My auctions should not have had a buy it now.
I have been having trouble all night with Ebay listings, as they try to
upgrade the system, I suppose.
I will be relisting right away, there is no reserve on them.
I do apoloigze for the confusion.
Rich (rasmus2)"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2261673312

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2261672836

That's a major bummer.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: CGC File Copies

Post by greg »

I'm not surprised the $9.95 prices were a mistake.
He's not going to pay $15 for CGC grading and then sell 9.8s for $9.95. :)

I'm not sure about the "file copy" situation...
They might have been given to him by Scott Friedlander,
but Valiant employees handed out books all the time.
Gold books were often handed out at conventions, etc.

He claims Scott Friedlander was an editor... that's not right, is it?
I show him as having credits for lettering on less than 10 books...
surely that's not what an editor does. :P

Anyway, there's no designation of "file copy" on the CGC information,
so he can "talk them up" as much as he wants, the bottom line is,
they're nice books, not as "special" as it might sound...
and he's going to get more than $9.95 for them.

Well, there ya go. :)

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

greg wrote:I'm not surprised the $9.95 prices were a mistake.
He's not going to pay $15 for CGC grading and then sell 9.8s for $9.95. :)

I'm not sure about the "file copy" situation...
They might have been given to him by Scott Friedlander,
but Valiant employees handed out books all the time.
Gold books were often handed out at conventions, etc.

He claims Scott Friedlander was an editor... that's not right, is it?
I show him as having credits for lettering on less than 10 books...
surely that's not what an editor does. :P

Anyway, there's no designation of "file copy" on the CGC information,
so he can "talk them up" as much as he wants, the bottom line is,
they're nice books, not as "special" as it might sound...
and he's going to get more than $9.95 for them.

Well, there ya go. :)
I figured they were a mistake when I hit the bins, but if I didn't someone else would have, and its just so much fun. I don't really buy the while file copy thing but they are nice books and should go for just under $100 each.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

greg wrote:He claims Scott Friedlander was an editor... that's not right, is it?
Kind of. Looked in a random '93 comic and in the staff listing he was listed as assisting editor.

/Magnus

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

I saw that last night Dino. The BIN price was obviously a mistake, but the question is, was it really an ebay error, or his error in listing. When I saw you scored those books, the first thing that popped in my head was goodluck getting this guy to agree to this deal on his end, even though you played by the rules.

The Solar 9.6 wasn't BIN, so I can see someone screwed up. I'm not a hard a$$, but, you better proof read your auction before you put it up. And if it's ebays error, they should be held accountable, or give an explaination.

My useless 3 cents.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

I completly agree GJB but im too lazy to try and make him agree to the contract and its kinda unethical so I would feel terrible. I hope his auctions do well though.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

GJB wrote:I saw that last night Dino. The BIN price was obviously a mistake, but the question is, was it really an ebay error, or his error in listing. When I saw you scored those books, the first thing that popped in my head was goodluck getting this guy to agree to this deal on his end, even though you played by the rules.

The Solar 9.6 wasn't BIN, so I can see someone screwed up. I'm not a hard a$$, but, you better proof read your auction before you put it up. And if it's ebays error, they should be held accountable, or give an explaination.

My useless 3 cents.
When someone obviously makes an error, and admits to it as fast as they can, it takes a total prick to try and hold them to it.

People make mistakes. I've heard people make the argument that 'well, they should have KNOWN better' or 'it's THEIR FAULT for not checking the BIN'....

Of COURSE they should have known better, and of COURSE it's their fault for not checking the BIN....that's the POINT. it's called a MISTAKE. Now, if the BIN had been up for DAYS, ok, fine, the point can be made. But people make mistakes, and if they fess up to it quickly, why would any fair, decent person try to hold them to some ridiculous 'contract' (which, by the way, is LEGALLY a MEETING of the MINDS..no meeting...which this clearly is...means NO CONTRACT. Try contesting it.) YES, you need to proofread your auctions first, of course...

"Come on", I tell those people..."lighten UP. It's not fair, it's not right, and it's not something that you'd be happy if it happened to you...so why stick it to someone else?"

I'd hate to live in a world filled with such heartless mercenaries.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

I told the seller that I wasn't going to hold him to it and wished him luck with his auctions and we've been chatting about valiants since.
(which, by the way, is LEGALLY a MEETING of the MINDS..no meeting...which this clearly is...means NO CONTRACT. Try contesting it.) YES, you need to proofread your auctions first, of course...
I was under the impression that ebay auctions are valid contracts since they exhibit 'offer' 'consideration' and 'acceptance'?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

dino wrote:I told the seller that I wasn't going to hold him to it and wished him luck with his auctions and we've been chatting about valiants since.
(which, by the way, is LEGALLY a MEETING of the MINDS..no meeting...which this clearly is...means NO CONTRACT. Try contesting it.) YES, you need to proofread your auctions first, of course...
I was under the impression that ebay auctions are valid contracts since they exhibit 'offer' 'consideration' and 'acceptance'?
It's a grey area (so far), but the legal reasoning behind not enforcing BINs is also the one which allows the retraction of bids (for the other side).

See, where you run into the legal problem is the 'offer' part: it wasn't a valid offer, anymore than someone accidentally putting the wrong ticket on a piece of merchandise doesn't bind the store to selling it at that price. If someone accidentally put the $45 Cubic Zirconium price tag on the $4500 1.2 carat diamond...the store doesn't HAVE to sell at that price, since it was obviously a mistake.

It's different from 'bait and switch', and also different from the 'you have to sell at the lowest price offered', because those aren't MISTAKES, those are done with malice (or at least mischief) aforethought, with the express PURPOSE of getting people to come in for the lower 'advertised' price, but mysteriously being 'out of stock', but here, I found you the same (or similar) thing for the regular price!

The law makes allowance for genuine human error (naturally.)

There was an offer, consideration, and acceptance...but it falters, because the offer was not valid. Yes, one can be a bad person and INSIST that the offer was valid, but it's very much open to interpretation, and as I said before, it takes a genuine scum of a person to hold someone to an obvious mistake.

Ya know?

soundoftheuniverse
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by soundoftheuniverse »

Well done Dino. It's good behavior like this that will keep Valiant healthy. Way to lead by example.

Valiant has had such a negative stigma attached to it for so long that we really do need more good deeds like this to keep the karma positive.

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I'd hate to live in a world filled with such heartless mercenaries.
I've been called worse....Maybe I haven't.

Maybe I was a little harsh, that's the beauty of discussion. There will be those to show you the light. I'm trying to evolve from my everything is either black or white mentality.

I'm a better person now, thanks ZWH. :atomic: