whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus
Re-Visiting the CGC Pre & Post Grading.

Post by whetteon »

I am now the proud owner of 5 (yes, FIVE! :D) CGC books. All pre-unity titles. 3 titles are graded to be 9.6 and the other two are graded to be 9.4. What bothers me is that I can't tell the difference between the two types. I guess in a way this is good since a NM comic is, well, Near Mint where as a NM+ is better then NM but not quite perfect :? :!: Ahem...

Anyways, even though there are many things that could account for the lower grades on the 9.4's (inside the book has a flaw somewhere) I've come to the conclusion that since both of them were graded before the new cases, that it might have something to do with the whole argument of being the first issues to get a grade and therefore a little more prejudice was added to their process.

Should I risk resubmitting them and/or getting a new case or just forget the whole thing and move on? I mean bumping up a Rai #1 and Unity Red from 9.4 to 9.6 would make me happy but bumping them down to a 9.2 would make me extremely unhappy. LMK what you think.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

If it were me; I wouldn't risk the bump down. Just keep what you got :thumb:

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Very minor flaws can very never impossible to see through the holder. Surface scatches become invisible. So I would trust that the books are not a higher grade. The only way the first time a book is CGC'd might affect grade is if the graders were unaware of an issue with that particular book. Like the upper left corner of Harbinger 0 pink. Every book I have seen has the little indent in the corner, even the 2 I got a 9.8 on. As I understand CGC keeps notes about books they grade. You can always call them, give them the number on the label and find out why the lower grade.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whetteon

Post by whetteon »

Excellent idea XO! Thanks, I will indeed call them when I get the chance and report back to the boards what the flaws were.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I was also going to suggest calling them for the graders' notes.

Reporting them to us would be a nice bonus. :thumb:

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

The Harb 0 pinks I have that are 9.8s do not have the indent. FYI. I have 4. I am under the impression that this defect would eliminate these from 9.8. Graders are only human, though.
x-omatic wrote:Very minor flaws can very never impossible to see through the holder. Surface scatches become invisible. So I would trust that the books are not a higher grade. The only way the first time a book is CGC'd might affect grade is if the graders were unaware of an issue with that particular book. Like the upper left corner of Harbinger 0 pink. Every book I have seen has the little indent in the corner, even the 2 I got a 9.8 on. As I understand CGC keeps notes about books they grade. You can always call them, give them the number on the label and find out why the lower grade.

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

ckb wrote:The Harb 0 pinks I have that are 9.8s do not have the indent. FYI. I have 4. I am under the impression that this defect would eliminate these from 9.8. Graders are only human, though.
x-omatic wrote:Very minor flaws can very never impossible to see through the holder. Surface scatches become invisible. So I would trust that the books are not a higher grade. The only way the first time a book is CGC'd might affect grade is if the graders were unaware of an issue with that particular book. Like the upper left corner of Harbinger 0 pink. Every book I have seen has the little indent in the corner, even the 2 I got a 9.8 on. As I understand CGC keeps notes about books they grade. You can always call them, give them the number on the label and find out why the lower grade.
Maybe because the rest of the book was perfect? I can always get the notes once I get my books.

ckb

Post by ckb »

That's certainly a possiblity.

Asking for graders' notes on a 9.8 is like bragging. :-)

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

ckb wrote:That's certainly a possiblity.

"Yes, hi, Steve? Yes, this is ZephyrWasHot!!, over at the VC.com board? Yes, I got this 9.9, and I was wondering...what...EXACTLY....kept it from being a 10? Uh huh.....uh huh.....

...uh huh....

Ohhhhh....I see.

Thanks!"

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

ckb wrote:That's certainly a possiblity.

:oops:

whetteon

Post by whetteon »

I was also going to suggest calling them for the graders' notes.

Reporting them to us would be a nice bonus. :thumb:
Okay, I called CGC during my lunch today and gave them the numbers to look up. They then reported the books I held in my hands! Cool right? So I ask them what the grader notes were on these and the nice old lady tells me she'll look and places me on hold.

So 5mins later I'm wondering if they or I accidentally hung up the phone.

The nice old lady comes on and tells me to wait just a few more mins. Whew, nice to know I still have a connection.

The nice old lady comes back on the phone and tells me, "I'm sorry but we don't have grader notes for either of those two issues. We typically don't keep notes on books after 1990 that are in NM or better condition but the graders told me that it could be anything from a stress mark on the spine to a bump on the corners to some type of crease on the pages inside the book. Thank you for calling and have a nice day!" <phone connection mysteriously lost>

So there you have it. What a great way to waste 1.50 on my phone bill to figure out what I already knew before. :!:

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

whetteon wrote:What a great way to waste 1.50 on my phone bill to figure out what I already knew before. :!:
1-877-NM-COMIC should be toll free. :)