What variant themes did Valiant pioneer? #0's?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger
What variant themes did Valiant pioneer? #0's?

Post by R Daneel »

#0 issues?
Cromium covers?
Coupon "stuff"?
Serial Number contests? (yuck)

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Underground comics from R. Crumb had #0 issues in the 1970s,
maybe even in the late 1960s.

Valiant was definitely the first to do "chromium".
Bloodshot #1's chromium was first "chromium cameo".
X-O Manowar #0 was the first full-chromium cover.

Valiant's coupon issues definitely pre-dated Image's coupon issues...
but I think Marvel's old "Marvel Value Stamps" idea probably was
a forefather in the concept... though you didn't really "redeem" them.
http://www.mvstamps.com/introduction.htm

I don't remember if Valiant's serial number contest
was earlier than "Triumphant Comics" always serial-numbered comics.
(I don't think Triumphant had a contest, though.)

Though Valiant didn't invent the "variant cover" or "incentive cover",
they were probably the first to give them away to fans instead of
requiring a dealer to purchase a minimum number of regular issues.

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by qrnd »

What about company validated signature issues? Every previous signatured comic I had seen only had a convention certificate but not one directly issued from the publisher.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

uruchuu wrote:What about company validated signature issues? Every previous signatured comic I had seen only had a convention certificate but not one directly issued from the publisher.
The whole stamp on them was great. No way to make a fake. Just think if a company would have picked up that idea and started doing that with other books. You know the signature to be real. Anyone can make a COA.

Wait a minute, ignore my post I have to start a new business.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Didn't one of the tv shopping networks used to have a comic/collector hour...think it was QVC. They used to have signed, authenticated stuff all the time, but I doubt that they were through the publisher.
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Mikeman
2 posts down, 2 million to go
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Post by Mikeman »

Something Valiant did that I have never seen anywhere else is the huge World's Largest Comic Panel in Solar. That was very cool. 8)
Carpe Diem - Sieze the Day!
Carp In Denim - There's a fish in my pants!

johnhickman

Post by johnhickman »

What about 00 issues? (See Ninkak 00)

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

Gold logo editions, free book (unity 0)

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

dellamorte wrote:Gold logo editions...
I think all the various versions of Spider-man #1 (1991)
barely beat Valiant with their gold & platinum variants.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Man of Steel #1 (1986) was the first 'on purpose' variant cover in comics, as well as the first 'fifth ink' metallic 'foil' cover.

I *think* the first official 'variant' cover in comics ever was TMNT #3, 'white Laird's Photo' variant (although, to be fair, it's the same cover art, just different colors.)

First hologram cover? Can't remember off the top of my head, but it was one of the Continuity Comics of 1990, anyone who knows, let us know. First entire hologram cover? The Ultraverse #1's, 1993.

First 'limited edition' comic? Nexus #1 came with a 'limited edition' of 500, signed, with an additional poster and sketch.

First 'official' (as in, produced by the publisher) signed and numbered comic? Visions #2, 1979 (but, to be fair, this represents the entire print run of this issue...otherwise, Miracleman #1, 1985.)

First flexidisc record in a comic? Nexus #3 limited series, 1981.

First price variant in comics? Heck, you probably could consider New York World's Fair Comics #1 in 1939, with 25 and 15 cent versions. The first intended variant was probably Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #4 which was specially printed as a promo giveaway. Also, several of the Marvel Monster books had both 10 and 12 cent versions in '61 and '62 (notably JIM #76 and Two Gun Kid #60)

Interestingly enough, Spiderman #1 held the record for variant covers (8) for five years, until Gen13 #1 in 1995 (16 and counting.) And....Marvel used gold metallic ink as a way to denote SECOND printings with gold X-Men #270, #275, #282, Ghost Rider #5, #15, Spiderman #1, New Mutants #87, #95, #100 (and a silver third!), X-Factor #60, AND X-Force #1! All pre-first Valiant gold by 1-2 years...which is why West Coast retailers who received the first gold edition of EW #1 thought it was a second print. Crazy, huh?

It's amusing to note that, before the 1980's, if you'd tried to print the same comic with two or more different covers, you'd be accused of trying to rip people off by making them think they were different books....;)

On a totally unrelated note..someone please explain to me why it's cheaper to buy a California avocado in Arizona than in California?

I've officially bored myself to death.

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:It's amusing to note that, before the 1980's, if you'd tried to print the same comic with two or more different covers, you'd be accused of trying to rip people off by making them think they were different books....
It was a lot later when the folks at Wizard used to straddle that fence, griping about multiple cover comic books. Then, it took them what - a whole 5, 6 or 7 issues to start doing it themselves? It was then I finally knew the true meaning of hypocrite.

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote: First hologram cover? Can't remember off the top of my head, but it was one of the Continuity Comics of 1990, anyone who knows, let us know. First entire hologram cover? The Ultraverse #1's, 1993.

Cyberrad Vol 2 #1 1992 had the first Hologram on a cover. It wasn't really part of the cover. It had Cyberrad looking at the image in shock.

qrnd

Post by qrnd »

I dont think any of these promos beat that Kiss comic from a few years back where the inked used actually contained some of their blood. Anyone remember the exact title?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

x-omatic wrote: Cyberrad Vol 2 #1 1992 had the first Hologram on a cover. It wasn't really part of the cover. It had Cyberrad looking at the image in shock.
Nope, nope. If Cyberrad's the first one, then Robin II beat it. That was 1991. I had typed Robin II #1, but edited it, because I was fairly certain another Continuity book had in 1990. If that's not the case, then it's Robin II #1.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

uruchuu wrote:I dont think any of these promos beat that Kiss comic from a few years back where the inked used actually contained some of their blood. Anyone remember the exact title?
Yup. Marvel Comics Super Special #1, 9/77. Actual blood used. Cool, huh?

sakaridis
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by sakaridis »

As far as I can remember, Robin II #1 is the first hologram cover. It was marketed as such and for years it has been considered the first.

Overstreet doesn't make any special note of the fact though (as in "first hologram cover" or something), but it's doubtful that they would note it anyway.

And Zephyr, weren't there also second gold prints of X-Men #248 (1st Jim Lee) and X-Factor #71. I think I remember something like that.

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

did all EW #35 have the disclaimer on the front, hiding his severed arm? that surprised me.

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Nope, nope. If Cyberrad's the first one, then Robin II beat it. That was 1991. I had typed Robin II #1, but edited it, because I was fairly certain another Continuity book had in 1990. If that's not the case, then it's Robin II #1.
Nope, nope. Boffo Laffs #1, years before the Robin II series, used a hologram on the cover. I'm not sure it was the first ever, but it was well before Robin II. Saw a copy of it at a flea market when I collected sports cards, and I always thought it was the coolest comic I had ever seen. (I hadn't seen many by '86.

:lol:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Knightt_333 wrote:Wasnt there a Silver Surfer cover that was Marvels first attempt to follow in Valiant's footsteps?

Well, there WAS SS #50 which had a NIFTY foil cover, went to three printings, and was the kickoff to Infinity Guantlet...but that was all pre-Solar #1.

By the by....one of the most stellar...pun intended....comebacks of all time was Thanos in SS #34-#50, as well as Thanos Quest and wrapping up in Infinity Guantlet. After that it just got kinda silly, but that particular story was AMAZING. Just AMAZING. After 12 years of absence, Thanos returns with a VENGEANCE.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Knightt_333 wrote:I have heard that about Thanos, it has been recommended to me many times.

Perhaps there is something to that huh ?

:lol:

I remember my comic shop dealer telling me that the Silver Surfer issue at that time was special for something, I thought it was for being a first (of something)
It was, it was the very first foil (where they actually used metallic paper) cover, as opposed to just metallic ink.

And...it even has held some value, selling for $2-$5 routinely on eBay (as opposed to 10-25 cents for it's surrounding issues)

JLThorpe

Post by JLThorpe »

dellamorte wrote:Gold logo editions, free book (unity 0)
DC released numerous free comics in the 80s, most notably those New Teen Titans drug awareness books, but usually they were promo books (DC Sampler, etc.).

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

JLThorpe wrote:
dellamorte wrote:Gold logo editions, free book (unity 0)
DC released numerous free comics in the 80s, most notably those New Teen Titans drug awareness books, but usually they were promo books (DC Sampler, etc.).
But the Drug Awareness books had corporate sponsor's (I think, Keebler) that helped reduce some of that cost.

JLThorpe

Post by JLThorpe »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
uruchuu wrote:I dont think any of these promos beat that Kiss comic from a few years back where the inked used actually contained some of their blood. Anyone remember the exact title?
You also had the first print of the Squadron Supreme TPB with Mark Gruenwald's ashes mixed into it.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Wasnt there an old JLA book with a variant cover :? From back in the 70's?? Or early 80's?

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

That's a magazine. Does it count if it's a magazine? If so, then the first flexidisc would be in an early issue of More Trash From MAD, that had a song about farts on it that nearly made me pee myself from laughing when I was a kid. It was either 1964 or '65.