Where to get these great deals?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)
Where to get these great deals?

Post by cjv »

I continually see threads from people who have gotten seemingly great deals on Valiant comics - things like gold issues for $2 each, pre-Unity runs for $1 per comic, VVSS for $5 a book, etc. Just curious, where do people get most of these deals?

I only have one local comic store, and they are "wise" to internet prices, so it isn't a place to get Valiant deals. I assume people aren't getting them on Ebay. Do people simply scour their local country side for comic book stores?

Chris, whose best "deal" was getting a gold Magnus 21 for $8.

RyanMcLelland
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Since Super Mario SE #1
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by RyanMcLelland »

I would think this question is really based on where you live...

I live in Trenton, NJ...a stone's throw away from Philly and NYC. In those three states alone there is usually 5 shows a month. Shows = Quarter bins. Dealers don't like to go through those boxes constantly (at least that I've seen) so I've found those Solar #4, Harbinger #4's, and the Gold Magnus for a quarter a piece.

Matter of fact, I just picked up that Harbinger and Gold Magnus 21 at a flea market just this past weekend. The guy looked at me and said, "Wow, I heard people still buy Valiants but I haven't seen someone actually do so."

I smiled back, buying the Harbinger 4-6 and Gold Magnus and said, "Yeah, guess you meet someone new everyday."

"I have lots of Valiants," he continued. "I can bring those next week."

"Why that would be nice of you," I smiled.

Just get creative. Try to hit up those conventions. Look around you to see who might have comics. Hell, my library in Bucks County, PA used to get then give away comics!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Don't check Arkansas, though... I can safely say we're sold out. :wink:

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Where to get these great deals?

Post by BodaZoffa »

cjv wrote:I continually see threads from people who have gotten seemingly great deals on Valiant comics - things like gold issues for $2 each, pre-Unity runs for $1 per comic, VVSS for $5 a book, etc. Just curious, where do people get most of these deals?

I only have one local comic store, and they are "wise" to internet prices, so it isn't a place to get Valiant deals. I assume people aren't getting them on Ebay. Do people simply scour their local country side for comic book stores?

Chris, whose best "deal" was getting a gold Magnus 21 for $8.
You've just gotta hit a lot of local comic stores. If you don't live in a big city, you'll have to do some traveling. I hit over 15 stores before I found one that was basically trying to give these away. They thought I was nuts for wanting to buy Valiant.

From this store I bought some of the following:

Unity Red #0 $2.50
Eternal Warrior Gold X2 $5.00
All the #1's at $2.50 apiece
Rai #4 2.50
Harbinger #0 Pink $2.50
Solar HC $20.00
Ninjak Gold $2.50 (came back as 9.8 through CGG. Now sending to CGC)

Then I hit the $.25 bins & bought over 20 Pre-Unity issues.

The guy thought I was crazy when I told him to be careful while putting these in the bag. I did'nt want one crease put on them.

Anyways just look...look... & look some more. A lot of the time you will find the Valiants hidden away in the shop somewhere, mixed in with other "throw away" comics.

Boda

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

You want some nice NM golds for about $10 a pop? Go to Time Warp in Hewlett, NY (on Long Island). The owner's a grumpy little guy but he's got some nice books. I bought my fill of what he had about six months ago, left plenty for others.
:hm:

twofour
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by twofour »

I'm stuck over here in Hawaii :lol: and the comic shop I frequent does not have a single Valiant comic in the whole building!!! So unitl I get back to the mainland my only way to get my Valiants is from ebay, and online shops like mile high and lone star comics. I've made a friend on this board, though, that gave me a good deal on some books and I was grateful for that!

twofour

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

I guess the problem is I just don't have time to scour the country side looking for comic book shops. :) Between working on my thesis and taking care of my 9 month of daughter, not too much time left over for other stuff.

Chris

BodaZoffa

Post by BodaZoffa »

twofour wrote:I'm stuck over here in Hawaii :lol: and the comic shop I frequent does not have a single Valiant comic in the whole building!!! So unitl I get back to the mainland my only way to get my Valiants is from ebay, and online shops like mile high and lone star comics. I've made a friend on this board, though, that gave me a good deal on some books and I was grateful for that!

twofour
Aug002 is from Hawaii also. This might be why you can't find any of the desirable issues there.

Boda

twofour

Post by twofour »

You know, that may be the reason!!!

twofour

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

the master-list, ts been said before but, the master-list. Just call them,any comic store in the country, and ask for specific comics, but you have to have a credit or debit card. Only one place out of the twenty Ive dealt with in the past month, said they would put the books aside until I sent a MO. thats how ive done it and filled many holes in my collection.