TimeWalker

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
TimeWalker

Post by xodacia81 »

Having just finished up my run of this title, I was wondering what the thoughts are? I think there was far too little continuity and many, many missed opportunities in the book. I think the "twist" involving his friend Mac was something which should and could, have been explored. What is the general take on this title?

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Here is what I think. Not great , not terrible....

But this sums it up.
xo-d wrote:and many, many missed opportunities in the book

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: TimeWalker

Post by magnusr »

Loved the character. Agree the stories could have been even better.

/Magnus

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

Timewalker #6-8 was a great read. No other titles delve into the Harbinger Wars except this one.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

It had such potential. It could have been the title to explore everything that the others could not and to do it without spoiling, but merely forshadowing. Maybe they could have shown glimpses, but still. I thought it was a fun book for the most part but I regret the choices they made which cost the title its full potential.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

like everyone else, I thought the possibilities for this were astronomical...but the execution was meh.

user1463
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by user1463 »

I never read this title, so I don't know if it included any perspective on the events in Rai #0, but I would have based at least the first year around Ivar's involvement in those historic events or their aftermaths.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

That was the original plan according to Wizard's VALIANT Special, but for some reason they went in a different direction.

user1463

Post by user1463 »

Wonder what that reason was; if they would've followed that template Timewalker would've probably been the flagship title. The must read for the serious Valiant fan.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

user1463 wrote:Wonder what that reason was; if they would've followed that template Timewalker would've probably been the flagship title. The must read for the serious Valiant fan.
Maybe that was it. Maybe they were trying to reach a larger audience and thought that making it too VALIANT-centric would have hurt it.

Ironic that the best arc was the Harbinger Wars trilogy...

user1463

Post by user1463 »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Maybe they were trying to reach a larger audience and thought that making it too VALIANT-centric would have hurt it.
They had the audience though. Readers were into Valiant, and you've got to go with what brought you to the dance. Shooter's methods may have got him fired in the long run but they were what brought Valiant to the dance in the 1st place. The company should have continued to pursue a cohesive inter-web between all their publications. It even makes since from a business angle; 'you've got to buy them all less you might miss something.'

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

user1463 wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:Maybe they were trying to reach a larger audience and thought that making it too VALIANT-centric would have hurt it.
They had the audience though. Readers were into Valiant, and you've got to go with what brought you to the dance. Shooter's methods may have got him fired in the long run but they were what brought Valiant to the dance in the 1st place. The company should have continued to pursue a cohesive inter-web between all their publications. It even makes since from a business angle; 'you've got to buy them all less you might miss something.'
By that time Acclaim had gotten involved, so who knows how many decisions were done with the mindset that if they did them they would become the next DC or Marvel.

Maybe the Acclaim suits didn't understand continuity and stuff and all they wanted was to make comics that X-Men and Batman fans would read, hence VH 2.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

VALIANT was on the verge of being the next DC or Marvel when Acclaim purchased them. The real culprits, lost in all the he said, she said, they did, they didn't, are the jokers at Triumph that forced the folks at VALIANT to sell the company to whoever the highest bidder was. Also, don't forget, VALIANT had major trouble early on because of how Winston Fwlkes ran the ship. If not for that, Triumph may have had more patience and the big sale might have come at a time when Acclaim would not have been looking to buy a company.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

xodacia81 wrote:VALIANT was on the verge of being the next DC or Marvel when Acclaim purchased them. The real culprits, lost in all the he said, she said, they did, they didn't, are the jokers at Triumph that forced the folks at VALIANT to sell the company to whoever the highest bidder was. Also, don't forget, VALIANT had major trouble early on because of how Winston Fwlkes ran the ship. If not for that, Triumph may have had more patience and the big sale might have come at a time when Acclaim would not have been looking to buy a company.
Can't forget something I did not know, heh

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Maybe that was it. Maybe they were trying to reach a larger audience and thought that making it too VALIANT-centric would have hurt it.

Ironic that the best arc was the Harbinger Wars trilogy...
Ironic? Nah. Look at who the writer was!

I know at one time Kevin VanHook told me that he was deliberately trying to address several of the events in Rai #0 --Pete's disappearance, the Harbinger Wars, etc.--with his Timewalker and Visitor work.

Sounds like MOTA appreciated the effort. As did I.

BoH

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Timewalker's HARBINGER WARS is one of the better later VALIANT efforts, that's for sure.

user1463

Post by user1463 »

xodacia81 wrote:Timewalker's HARBINGER WARS is one of the better later VALIANT efforts, that's for sure.
Sounds like I should check it out then.

*opens my comic-shop dot com in a new tab*

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

The only problem with that Harbinger Wars arc was that Peter's bad guy descendant wasn't expanded on. He was just called Lt. Stanchek, than he was killed. :roll:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Harbinger wrote:The only problem with that Harbinger Wars arc was that Peter's bad guy descendant wasn't expanded on. He was just called Lt. Stanchek, than he was killed. :roll:
I forgot that character existed.

Wouldn't it have made sense for Harada to exterminate Pete's lineage?

Of course, I guess that Lt Stanchek character answers the question from that other thread about all Stanchek's being Omega Harbingers. Clearly he wasn't one.

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

It would've been great for there to be some explanation as to how he switched sides, or why he didn't have powers. Timewalker was MANY missed opportunities

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Harbinger wrote:It would've been great for there to be some explanation as to how he switched sides, or why he didn't have powers. Timewalker was MANY missed opportunities
Or it was just a glimpse of a much bigger picture that would have gotten explored had it not been for Birthquake.

Remember, the Harbinger Wars came out during Birthquake, a very bad time in VALIANT history.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BQ wasn't a BAD time in VALIANT history-it was the END of VALIANT as we knew it. It was freaking Ragnarok, The End of Days, what have you.