WWH

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

1st Among Equals
WWH

Post by 1st Among Equals »

Was any else disappointed with the end of World War Hulk?

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: WWH

Post by Elveen »

1st Among Equals wrote:Was any else disappointed with the end of World War Hulk?
Go ahead... give the spoliers.... I have not read one issue, spill the beans... 1AE.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

wwh almost as bad as ultimate nightmare o wait was this a mcfarlane book because it reeked

1st Among Equals

Well the Planet Hulk series was amazing but the WWH books were kinda of weak.

~SPOILERS!!!!!~

Basically hulk destroys all of New York and beats up all the heroes and in the end he ends up saying that he came back for peace not for murder so he's about to leave when the Sentry comes and like and gets in a big fight with hulk. Of course hulk wins after a big boom and emerges Bruce Banner. Miek (one of hulks warbound) doesn't like this saying that hes ment for destruction and not peace so he stabs Rick Jones for Bruce to turn back!! Bruce turns back and starts smashing his face in when miek reveals that he watched the red kings men load a bomb in the ship not Earths heros so that hulk would do what he though he was ment to do. Soooo hulk starts letting out huge amount of radiation and power destroying the world so he tells stark to use the satellite to hit and after the huge laser hits him and the smoke clears Bruce Banner is revealed lying there dead!! YOU CANT KILL THE HULK WHATS UP WITH THAT!!! So they transfer his body to this place in the Sahara Desert where it shows his eyes close hinting to him not being dead. Also on the last page it show a pic a hulk look a like rising from the broken planet of Sakarr who supposedly is his son. So ya I thought it was lame they seem to be killing off my favorite characters first Captan America now the Hulk!!

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

1st Among Equals wrote:Well the Planet Hulk series was amazing but the WWH books were kinda of weak.

~SPOILERS!!!!!~

Basically hulk destroys all of New York and beats up all the heroes and in the end he ends up saying that he came back for peace not for murder so he's about to leave when the Sentry comes and like and gets in a big fight with Hulk. Of course hulk wins after a big boom and emerges Bruce Banner. Miek (one of hulks warbound) doesn't like this saying that hes ment for destruction and not peace so he stabs Rick Jones for Bruce to turn back!! Bruce turns back and starts smashing his face in when miek reveals that he watched the red kings men load a bomb in the ship not Earths heros so that hulk would do what he though he was ment to do. Soooo hulk starts letting out huge amount of radiation and power destroying the world so he tells stark to use the satellite to hit and after the huge laser hits him and the smoke clears Bruce Banner is revealed lying there dead!! YOU CANT KILL THE HULK WHATS UP WITH THAT!!! So they transfer his body to this place in the Sahara Desert where it shows his eyes close hinting to him not being dead. Also on the last page it show a pic a hulk look a like rising from the broken planet of Sakarr who supposedly is his son. So ya I thought it was lame they seem to be killing off my favorite characters first Captan America now the Hulk!!
He didn't say he came for peace, LOL, just that he thought it was more fitting pay back to leave the heroes alive, beaten, broken, their secrects and crimes exposed, and then leave Earth while leveling all of New York City (they stopped him before he destroy the city), all without killing anyone (though I don't know how he could've leveled New York without killing the stragglers left behind but he did give them ample opportunity to get out or find shelter). Basicallly it's a cruel revenge that still lets him be morally superior to the Illumanati (atleast in his own mind). The line the Warbound has repeated throughout WWH is that their supposed to be there for justice not murder (which now makes sense).

Obviously he's not dead at the end. On the next to last page he's in some sort submersion tank with breathing tubes in his nose (I assume there's doing their darndest to keep him sedated forever). Plus, as you said, corpses' eyes don't move. Notice the tank turns red on the last panel (the Hulk in the new series is supposed to be red).

I dig it. There's some holes at the end but I gotta a feeling the epilog will fill those in. I've enjoyed WWH and most of the tie-ins I've picked up.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

I thoroughly enjoyed the finale. I felt it satisfyingly brought this chapter of the story to a close.

I *always* took it as Hulk was comatose or vegetative - not dead. And the fight between Hulk and the Sentry was just evil - with the line "Savior, Monster, it doesn't matter what they call you, what matters is which one you choose" being the piece that nicely summed up the final moments.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Byrneout wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the finale. I felt it satisfyingly brought this chapter of the story to a close.

I *always* took it as Hulk was comatose or vegetative - not dead. And the fight between Hulk and the Sentry was just evil - with the line "Savior, Monster, it doesn't matter what they call you, what matters is which one you choose" being the piece that nicely summed up the final moments.
I always hated Sentry but he was pretty damn cool there. I finally understand why they keep saying he's the most powerful person in the world (well second most powerful after that battle). I think I get the whole "power of a million exploding suns" thing now.

Favorite scene in WWH was this monolog the Hulk gave to the beaten and captured Illumanti:

"Don't like it, do you? It's not fair. Not the whole story.

You have excuses. Explanations. You're innnocent.

These people don't know what really happened. They don't know what's in your heart.

Now you know how it feels."

Beautiful. :clap:
Last edited by Todd Luck on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:21:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

In another note, what was a really cool, yet subtle character moment was Banner with the green eyes. It showed us that, for once, both Banner and the Hulk were in complete agreement as to what they were doing and why - something I don't think has ever happened before. Almost as if, for once, the fractured psyche of the two had finally begun to heal them into a complete person.

Kudos to Pak for that moment.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

i do give pak a bit of credit for a decent job through the entire run dident care for wwh much but, the planet hulk runs were ok and i enjoyed it some :thumb:

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

superman-prime wrote:i do give pak a bit of credit for a decent job through the entire run dident care for wwh much but, the planet hulk runs were ok and i enjoyed it some :thumb:
definite credit to PAK especially on IH which makes me wonder why we are getting a new Hulk series

:?

stone384
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by stone384 »

Read it last night....enjoyed it quite a bit. Good series. :thumb:

m

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

stone384 wrote:Read it last night....enjoyed it quite a bit. Good series. :thumb:

m

same here

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Let me put in another recommendation for WWH Frontline for anyone who hasn't tried it yet. Hands down the best tie-in series I've read (I got the first three issues so far). Half of the story follows what happened to the puny humans left in New York during WWH and the other half is an alien murder mystery set in the abandoned streets of New York during the same time frame. All of it is an excelent read.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: WWH

Post by Lightning Strike »

1st Among Equals wrote:Was any else disappointed with the end of World War Hulk?
The series started out good, but every subsequent issue got worse and worse.

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

1st Among Equals wrote:Well the Planet Hulk series was amazing but the WWH books were kinda of weak.
Agreed. Planet Hulk was much better

1st Among Equals

Todd Luck wrote: He didn't say he came for peace, LOL.
Oops meant to say justice :P

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

The epilog (Aftersmash Special) was no where near as bad the Civil War Innitiative Special (which was just a series of badly done teasers) but I didn't enjoy it as much all the WWH stuff up to this point. It felt a little too crowded with things happening too fast.

And it felt a bit inconclusive. It would've been nice at the very least to know if Hulk's allies planned to move on with their lives (assuming Bruce won't be coming out of the coma), divorce themselves of the Hulk (since he did try to destroy Earth) or had plans to free him. I keep wondering what SHEILD's going to do with all the alien survivors too.

But I did like the "new" hero they introduced and I couldn't stop laughing at the Mini-Marvels short story (those always rock).

Judging from creator interviews it does sound like Bruce will be the red Hulk in the new series. Hercules will take over the current Hulk series (which is wierd).
Last edited by Todd Luck on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:20:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

WWH was the laziest piece of writing I have come across, and I have seen DBZ/Anne Frank hentai fan-fic

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I gotta say, after the awesomeness that was Planet Hulk, I was quite let down by World War Hulk.

I wanted some sort of resolution for the Hulk character, and we never really got that.

There was so much good set up too. First they made Hulk happier than he has ever been, then they took it all away to make him angrier than he has ever been.

Then with WWH he was just angry until they stopped him. Sucks.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Gotta agree with drift here.

it was old tosh from start to end.

planet hulk was incredible ( excuse the pun)

WWH was a pathetic marketing move by someone who though because CW worked all they had to do was cross it over into most books and bingo. NOT !!

Wy choose JRJR for the art chores. Not everyone has a broken nose especially no the women and kids. CMON !!!?
Big block marker scrawl is not acceptable for a project of this size.

After expecting HOM to suck and being really suprised CW also kicked much butt.

So i foolishly led most of my customers to the water only to find stagnant weewee waiting for them.

NOt good.

how many holes were there in this story from start to finish compared to the tightness of how they spanned CW across the whole of the Marvel U?

Marvel need to wise up to what people really want and knock this overhyped return to early nineties crappolla firmly on the head before everyone quits reading comics in favour of collecting used bandages from the outpatients at the local clinic.

Rar !

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Drift wrote:WWH was the laziest piece of writing I have come across, and I have seen DBZ/Anne Frank hentai fan-fic
:lol:

TheGreatSatan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by TheGreatSatan »

I liked it, except for the usual delays by Marvel. I'm so sick of them doing that.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...

Post by Byrneout »

Drift wrote:WWH was the laziest piece of writing I have come across, and I have seen DBZ/Anne Frank hentai fan-fic
Actually, I would think that would take some effort... ;)

djwatson23
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by djwatson23 »

Todd Luck wrote:Let me put in another recommendation for WWH Frontline for anyone who hasn't tried it yet. Hands down the best tie-in series I've read (I got the first three issues so far). Half of the story follows what happened to the puny humans left in New York during WWH and the other half is an alien murder mystery set in the abandoned streets of New York during the same time frame. All of it is an excelent read.
I purchased the first three issues of the WWH Frontline as well.
I didn't enjoy them as much as you did. In fact, I thought they were terrible. It just couldn't keep my interest. What was the point of following the hulk from the journalists perspective? Are they important to the marvel universe? I am ignorant to the civil war series and those frontline issues so maybe they play a bigger role but to read just those three issues alone was kind of a bore.
btw, I read the prelude to planet hulk tpb and thought that was excellent!

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

they need to quit the big crossovers, and at least put some thought in to them or dont bother :!: :!: