The Lost Fantastic Four Story

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF
The Lost Fantastic Four Story

Post by MedicAR »

I've been asking around about this for a year or two now, and they're finally printing it!
:clap:

Here's link to Marvel's webiste: "Lost" Fantastic Four Story

Kirby's penciled pages, written by Stan Lee and inked by Joe Sinnott.....
:cloud9:

Good times are a comin'!

stone384
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by stone384 »

fyi where the Kirby panels couldn't be located Ron Frenz stepped in and drew them in a Kirby style. :thumb:

m

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

Is it lost from 1-60 ish, or is it lost from 61-100 ish?

Because the higher the issue number the worse the book got.

Kinda like MASH where you can tell how funny an episode is by how much grey is in Hawkeye's hair...

stone384

Post by stone384 »

It would have been the last issue in the Lee/Kirby run (108?). Stan and Jack had a falling out. Apparently Stan wasn't happy about what Jack had pencilled and wanted it redone. Jack quit in protest. Nearly the entire issue had been pencilled. Those pages were subsequently cut up (the actual boards) and used as flashbacks in the next issue done by Lee and Sinnott. I may have the issue numbers mixed up, but that is the gist of what happened. This special is printed from most of the original Lee script and Kirby pencils with Ron Frenz stepping in for the pieces of art that could not be found.

m

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

stone384 wrote:It would have been the last issue in the Lee/Kirby run (108?). Stan and Jack had a falling out. Apparently Stan wasn't happy about what Jack had pencilled and wanted it redone. Jack quit in protest. Nearly the entire issue had been pencilled. Those pages were subsequently cut up (the actual boards) and used as flashbacks in the next issue done by Lee and Sinnott. I may have the issue numbers mixed up, but that is the gist of what happened. This special is printed from most of the original Lee script and Kirby pencils with Ron Frenz stepping in for the pieces of art that could not be found.

m
That's pretty much right on the money. It's #103, but really, what difference does it make? Some of the material was used in a flashback in issue #108, but has never been printed in its entirety. The news about Ron Frenz is new to me, but I don't have anything to contradict it either.

I don't think it's the equivalent of a lost Beatles track (as Marvel's hype machine says) but I really am looking forward to it. If nothing else, it will be fun. BTW, I like the Beatles "Free As A Bird" but "Hi this is John and Yoko, please leave a message" just seemed sad and desperate. :lol:

rictor
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by rictor »

I'm really jazzed about seeing this book. It will be great to see some "new" Kirby Fantastic Four. And if anybody had to fill in the panel gaps, I'm glad Marvel went with Frenz. His ability to ape Kirby is amazing. I love the "World's Greatest Comic Magazine" mini-series that Erik Larsen did with Frenz and others. Frenz's Fantastic Four work was really good, but a little stilted by his determination to mimic Kirby. His "WGCM" work was better in my opinion, because he was more comfortable and confident with his ability to emulate Kirby's style. Having Joe Sinnot inking it really brought it to life as well.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: The Lost Fantastic Four Story

Post by Lightning Strike »

MedicAR wrote:I've been asking around about this for a year or two now, and they're finally printing it!
:clap:

Here's link to Marvel's webiste: "Lost" Fantastic Four Story

Kirby's penciled pages, written by Stan Lee and inked by Joe Sinnott.....
:cloud9:

Good times are a comin'!
I am SO looking forward to this!

stone384

Post by stone384 »

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtos
Could some things be cleared up?

_ Who drew the "extra art " that Stan asked for?

_ Who drew the page that's previewed? Is it it really Kirby? It seems a bit off especially the last panel... Just curious.

The page that's previewed is, indeed Kirby, with the exception of that last panel, which was provided by Ron Frenz and Joe Sinnott. This isn't a case where Stan changed something, but one of the instances in the book where an original panel is still missing. When they incorporated material into FF #108, the production team at Marvel apparently cut up the actual boards to use, and as a result there's still something like six or seven panels worth of material unaccounted for. We drafted in Ron Frenz to replace these panels in a Kirby-like style.

Tom B
This is the response from Tom Brevroot to a poster on newsarama about a panel from the preview art.

the whole newsarama article is here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=138411

m

Lightning Strike

stone384 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtos
Could some things be cleared up?

_ Who drew the "extra art " that Stan asked for?

_ Who drew the page that's previewed? Is it it really Kirby? It seems a bit off especially the last panel... Just curious.

The page that's previewed is, indeed Kirby, with the exception of that last panel, which was provided by Ron Frenz and Joe Sinnott. This isn't a case where Stan changed something, but one of the instances in the book where an original panel is still missing. When they incorporated material into FF #108, the production team at Marvel apparently cut up the actual boards to use, and as a result there's still something like six or seven panels worth of material unaccounted for. We drafted in Ron Frenz to replace these panels in a Kirby-like style.

Tom B
This is the response from Tom Brevroot to a poster on newsarama about a panel from the preview art.

the whole newsarama article is here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=138411

m
If they were going to use another artist to fill in on one or two panels, then Frenz is the perfect choice to do it.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

I don't think it's the equivalent of a lost Beatles track (as Marvel's hype machine says) but I really am looking forward to it. If nothing else, it will be fun. BTW, I like the Beatles "Free As A Bird" but "Hi this is John and Yoko, please leave a message" just seemed sad and desperate.
It IS the comic equivalent of a lost Beatles track in that both Kirby and the Beatles are incredibly over-rated. They have done some good stuff but neither were the Messiahs of their respective fields that people make out. The majority of people only think they are great because you get told right from the beginning that they are great. I respect Kirby as a creator but as an artist...? C'mon people, the greatest threat this world has ever known, The World Eater, Galactus is *SQUEE* pink for crying out loud. And what is it with the stupid horns sticking out of the side of peoples' helmets?

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Drift wrote:
I don't think it's the equivalent of a lost Beatles track (as Marvel's hype machine says) but I really am looking forward to it. If nothing else, it will be fun. BTW, I like the Beatles "Free As A Bird" but "Hi this is John and Yoko, please leave a message" just seemed sad and desperate.
It IS the comic equivalent of a lost Beatles track in that both Kirby and the Beatles are incredibly over-rated. They have done some good stuff but neither were the Messiahs of their respective fields that people make out. The majority of people only think they are great because you get told right from the beginning that they are great. I respect Kirby as a creator but as an artist...? C'mon people, the greatest threat this world has ever known, The World Eater, Galactus is *SQUEE* pink for crying out loud. And what is it with the stupid horns sticking out of the side of peoples' helmets?
You know what they say about opinions, mein freund...

-slym

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Drift wrote:
You need to balance your opinion of Kirby by looking at what he produced in the 50's, too. They spent a lot of time on a page at that point. I could show you some early Kirby where you can barely tell it was his work. Also take into account how prolific he was in the 60's and 70's. The number of pages he drew is off the charts.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I suppose not everyone is going to like his style, but the effect Kirby had on the industry is undeniable.

Drift

Post by Drift »

As I said, I respect him as a creator and he has done some good stuff (I quite enjoy a lot of his war books) and, just like the Beatles to music, his impact is undeniable. All I am saying is, I don't think he is that great.

stone384

Post by stone384 »

Kids these days :roll:

m

Lightning Strike

stone384 wrote:Kids these days :roll:

m
:)

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

Drift wrote:
Someday, you'll be older and wiser..........and you'll cringe at this statement.

:lol:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Yo drift !!!

Dont hold back G !!

tell em like you see it.

:D

Lightning Strike

MedicAR wrote:
Drift wrote:
Someday, you'll be older and wiser..........and you'll cringe at this statement.
:lol: