David Lapham Fans NEED to read this!!!!!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

eternalwarrior
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
David Lapham Fans NEED to read this!!!!!!!

Post by eternalwarrior »

Anyone not reading Young Liars (the awesome new book that David is doing)
should really give it a try. It has that same magic that early Harbinger issues had...( now this post is Valiant related :) There have been 2 issues released so far, and both have been very entertaining. Also, those who get a bit peeved at the lack of a meaty story will not be dissapointed by this book. I know that i am often displeased by how fast i can get through the typical modern comic book. It seems like most are written today with the trade in mind and the first few issues are not very gratifying with the slow pace they take in their approach to storytelling. This is one of the exceptions, as it is a good solid read with plenty of intriguing character develpoment and plot twists throughout the beginning of the series.
This is certainly a series that deserves to continue and will be a great read to anyone that gives it a try. Just thought i would give this book some props to the valiant fans that love David's Valiant work.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Thanks! I'll check it out.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

It doesn't remind me of Harby (more like a character focused Stray Bullets, IMO) but there's no doubt that I'm really enjoying it so far.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

good book :thumb: . In color too, even though I'm a b&w junkie myself, I know most people prefer color. Also it's a bit more linear than Stray Bullets.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I think some of us got an email from Lapham today re: Young Liars. :thumb:
I have been meaning to check out this book. Gonna have my LSC add it to my pull list.
DAN

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

At this point in my life I would rather read trades and hardcovers than monthlies. Partially I can put a TPB or HC in my budget a lot better than a
ton of monthies.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

It's a Vertigo book, so that pretty much means that it will be both brilliant and cancelled far too soon.

Eternalwarrior68
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: v1 X-O / v3 Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by Eternalwarrior68 »

I will have to check it out :thumb:

Darth Kramer
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Darth Kramer »

I haven't read this yet, but it has gotten near universal good reviews from people whose opinions I value. If I ever have a slow week, I'll definitely pick it up (or get it in the trade in a few months).

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

Yes it is a Vertigo book, and I'm trying my G#$damn hardest to make sure it's not cancelled. I'm putting my heart and soul into this thing and I'm trying to spread the word.

Thus here I am. Being a novice at posting I hope I'm in the right spot. (Who knew there were so many Valiant fans gathered in one spot? I guess you all did, but ask the checkout lady at Vons. I bet she didn't....) But I just wanted to thank anyone spreading the word about Young Liars and everyone who will give it a try. It would mean everything to me to make this book a success. Not only because it's my living and my passion but also because it would allow me the freedom to get back to Stray Bullet, if even only on a limited basis.

Any advice from anyone about how I can get the word out within this forum and elsewhere, please let me have it.

I don't know if this sounds like a swell idea to anyone, but let me throw out this offer:

Anyone who tries out Young Liars and sends it to me with a SASE will have the comic returned signed (personalized or not) along with a headshot sketch of any character you choose. Could be a Young Liars character, Stray Bullets character, Your favorite Valiant character, etc.

If anyone's willing to risk sending me a Valiant comic I can sign those, too, but other than promising not to rip, fold, or crumple your comic personally and packing it back in your mailer, I can't take any other responsibility for what the good folks at the PO might do to it. So be careful.

Spread the word on this. I'll do this for anyone who tries out YL.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Much thanks to eternalwarrior for his wise advice and for getting this post going.

I'll check back here if anyone has any questions about the book. And I apologize in advance if this is not the best or proper place for a post like this.

DL
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DL »

Um...Why does it say paulsmith is my hero beneath my name on the left?

Okay it just change to something else.

How do I make that stop?

Help.
Last edited by DL on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Wow, that's a generous offer, David. And welcome to the board.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

DL wrote:Um...Why does it say paulsmith is my hero beneath my name on the left?

How do I make that go away?

Help.
As soon as Greg sees you have joined, he will change to 'Valiant? I was there!'

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

DL wrote:Yes it is a Vertigo book, and I'm trying my G#$damn hardest to make sure it's not cancelled. I'm putting my heart and soul into this thing and I'm trying to spread the word.

Thus here I am. Being a novice at posting I hope I'm in the right spot. (Who knew there were so many Valiant fans gathered in one spot? I guess you all did, but ask the checkout lady at Vons. I bet she didn't....) But I just wanted to thank anyone spreading the word about Young Liars and everyone who will give it a try. It would mean everything to me to make this book a success. Not only because it's my living and my passion but also because it would allow me the freedom to get back to Stray Bullet, if even only on a limited basis.

Any advice from anyone about how I can get the word out within this forum and elsewhere, please let me have it.

I don't know if this sounds like a swell idea to anyone, but let me throw out this offer:

Anyone who tries out Young Liars and sends it to me with a SASE will have the comic returned signed (personalized or not) along with a headshot sketch of any character you choose. Could be a Young Liars character, Stray Bullets character, Your favorite Valiant character, etc.

If anyone's willing to risk sending me a Valiant comic I can sign those, too, but other than promising not to rip, fold, or crumple your comic personally and packing it back in your mailer, I can't take any other responsibility for what the good folks at the PO might do to it. So be careful.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Much thanks to eternalwarrior for his wise advice and for getting this post going.

I'll check back here if anyone has any questions about the book. And I apologize in advance if this is not the best or proper place for a post like this.

:o It's always great to hear from Valiant legends on these boards. That's quite an excellent first post and offer --- and you might be surprised at how many of us take you up on it.

I have Young Liars # 1 sitting on my read stack, you've motivated me to read it first thing in the morning. And many of us on here closely follow your work :thumb:

Btw, welcome to the boards!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

DL wrote:Yes it is a Vertigo book, and I'm trying my G#$damn hardest to make sure it's not cancelled. I'm putting my heart and soul into this thing and I'm trying to spread the word.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Nice. Just want to say thanks for your comics (long-time fan) and will continue spreading the word about Young Liars as long as you keep making the great stories and pretty pictures.

eternalwarrior

Post by eternalwarrior »

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

Glad you figured it out David! You have alot of Fans on here, and i'm sure alot of them will love that you are a member now. Glad you liked my idea, (and even offered to do a sketch as opposed to just signing. I actually was going to suggest that, but thought that might be a bit time consuming. I am expecting ALOT of people to take you up on this:)
It really is a great book and deserves to continue. In any case, welcome to the Boards!!-------J

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Send all comics to:

David Lapham
P.O. Box 3911
Glendale, CA 91221-0911

HOLY CRAP! David Lapham...? HERE???

We're not worthy....we're not worthy....

How freakin' cool is it to have you on these boards...???

FREAKIN' COOL, MAN!!

WOW.

Welcome to the border!

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Okay it just change to something else.

How do I make that stop?

Help.
Paulsmith is a LEGEND around here!

:thumb:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Holy crap! The guy lives in Glendale! That's just up the road!

Yowza!

How long before Z and DL are hanging out at the new Target at the Galleria.....?

:P

I kid, I kid!

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Ok, ok, I know I sound like a crazy sycophant stalker...but man, you are one of my HEROES.

You may not have been able to tell by my user name....but, I have a thing for Harbinger. ;) So...you know.....;)

Man, oh man, I am just GIDDY!

:D

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Daniel Jackson wrote:

How do I make that go away?

Help.
As soon as Greg sees you have joined, he will change to 'Valiant? I was there!'
Done.

Welcome to the board, Mr. Lapham!

I've got a few of your books around the house. Thanks for making them. :D

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

I have not heard of this book yet and I'm a big DC guy!

The problem with Vertigo is that a book is either great or crappy. There is just no in between. Add that to the fact that the crappy part is like 90% of the books they publish and it makes it hard for their books to get noticed.

But every once in a while a book like "Y the last man" comes out and it is a hit!

Let's see if this book is that hit. Hey Vertigo doesn't have one right now since "Y" ended.

Do they?

I will definitely pick one up!

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I was looking for a new read.
Will check it out.

Love the vertigo imprint, was waiting untill new valiants ~ but will surely give it a go.

NB ~ David, your offer is fantastic. You openned the floodgates ~ your letter box is going to be overflowing.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Ok, ok, I know I sound like a crazy sycophant stalker...but man, you are one of my HEROES.

You may not have been able to tell by my user name....but, I have a thing for Harbinger. ;) So...you know.....;)

Man, oh man, I am just GIDDY!

:D
Don't scare the guy away, ZWH! :P

Mr. Lapham, I see you recently did a story for the new American Splendor comic from Vertigo. Any stories about working with Harvey Pekar?

I will definitely be buying your new book, Young Liars and hopefully take you up on your kind offer. I haven't been to a local comic shop in months so that's saying something in my case.

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

Welcome David. That is a very generous offer you've made and I'm sure you have a few hundred people here who will take you up on it. The hard part if to figure out what head sketch. :hm:

I enjoyed the first issue of Young Liars. It's great to see you doing a monthly book again. Now that I'm getting my books from DCBS it'll take a little longer to get the second one but I'm on board for the long haul on this.