Hey Z (or someone)...need some advise...

Non-VALIANT items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BettyBoop2
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Hey Z (or someone)...need some advise...

Post by BettyBoop2 »

...I won an auction a coupleof weeks ago 77 issues of AMS. $146 shipped. The guy had bad feedback 80% and in his ad he said this...

This is for 77 different Amazing Spider-Man comics. This is a private collection and I have no knowledge of grading comic books. All of them are in great shape. The covers and pages have no tears or rips in them. This would make a great addition to anyone's collection.

The collection has these comic books.
207-253
258-266
268-279

They are anything but great shape. I would judge them to be about 3.0 to 4.0. There are at least 5 isses that have large chips, tears and missing parts.

Zeph...or someone else...could you give me my options on how I might get my money back via Pay-Pal? Purchased and paid for on 7/3--delivered on 7/16.

-the boop

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

Did you pay via paypal ?

BettyBoop2

Post by BettyBoop2 »

yes I did. :!:

-the boop

BettyBoop2

Post by BettyBoop2 »

Also I recieved 70 issues NOT 77.

the boop

Jrdawg
I thought that would be harder

Post by Jrdawg »

First step would be to contact the seller. If no progress, file a dispute via paypal. :thumb:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Jrdawg wrote:First step would be to contact the seller. If no progress, file a dispute via paypal. :thumb:
I disagree. The first step is to file a paypal dispute to create the record (which will also contact the seller). This just gets the ball rolling, creates documentation from the beginning and the seller is put on a timetable to respond.

If you treat a paypal dispute as a record keeping device and a means to an end it's great. If you treat it as "You knife me, I knife you" then you'll get nowhere. Just create the dispute, write your case and start the ball that way. Communication is communication.

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

When you file thorugh paypoal they let you talk back and forth, through the paypal site, before you elevate the dispute to a claim.

If the seller does not respond they will end the dispute in your favor and you will get a refund. At the very least everything is on record and the seller has to talk to you.

:thumb:

gavster
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by gavster »

BettyBoop2 wrote:Also I recieved 70 issues NOT 77.

the boop
Pieces missing and short on the order, I'd go for "Item received not as described", full refund and shipping please and thankyou!

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

I'm in one right now, damn this takes a long time...paypal has been deliberating for nearly a month now.

Jrdawg

Post by Jrdawg »

IMJ wrote:
Jrdawg wrote:First step would be to contact the seller. If no progress, file a dispute via paypal. :thumb:
I disagree. The first step is to file a paypal dispute to create the record (which will also contact the seller). This just gets the ball rolling, creates documentation from the beginning and the seller is put on a timetable to respond.

If you treat a paypal dispute as a record keeping device and a means to an end it's great. If you treat it as "You knife me, I knife you" then you'll get nowhere. Just create the dispute, write your case and start the ball that way. Communication is communication.
I disagree right back atcha :P I've come across seller's who become hostile if you file first. IMO, there should at least be one attempt to contact the seller before paypal is even considered.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Re: Hey Z (or someone)...need some advise...

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

BettyBoop2 wrote:...I won an auction a coupleof weeks ago 77 issues of AMS. $146 shipped. The guy had bad feedback 80% and in his ad he said this...

This is for 77 different Amazing Spider-Man comics. This is a private collection and I have no knowledge of grading comic books. All of them are in great shape. The covers and pages have no tears or rips in them. This would make a great addition to anyone's collection.

The collection has these comic books.
207-253
258-266
268-279

They are anything but great shape. I would judge them to be about 3.0 to 4.0. There are at least 5 isses that have large chips, tears and missing parts.

Zeph...or someone else...could you give me my options on how I might get my money back via Pay-Pal? Purchased and paid for on 7/3--delivered on 7/16.

-the boop
Yuck.

Another scumbag.

1. Contact the seller and explain the situation (if you haven't already done so.)

If this gets you nowhere....

2. File a "Significantly Not As Described" with Paypal. Completely and thoroughly describe the problem in as much detail as you possibly can. This is vitally important, because the idiots at Paypal don't understand comic grading anymore than the seller does. Use descriptors like "Seller said comics had no tears, rips, and there were large chunks out of many of the books." Also make sure to mention that the seller saying they "didn't know how to grade" doesn't mean that they can then send garbage and lie in their description (as this is what he'll respond with "I SAID I didn't know how to grade!")

3. IMMEDIATELY escalate the claim. There's no sense in waiting, because the seller's not going to "come to his sense." Choose an acceptable partial amount refund, because sometimes Paypal goes with this.

4. If you win the case, and you should, send the books back. Paypal will refund the original amount paid. If seller refuses to refund return shipping...

5. File a chargeback with your CC company/bank for that amount.

6. Leave negative FB.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

siren3-4 wrote:When you file thorugh paypoal they let you talk back and forth, through the paypal site, before you elevate the dispute to a claim.

If the seller does not respond they will end the dispute in your favor and you will get a refund. At the very least everything is on record and the seller has to talk to you.

:thumb:
Be very careful, as this advice could lead to confusion...

To clarify: if the seller does not respond to an ELEVATED CLAIM, Paypal will find in your favor and issue a refund (if possible.)

If you do not escalate the claim within 20 days, Paypal will close the claim AND YOU WILL LOSE.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Jrdawg wrote:
IMJ wrote:

I disagree right back atcha :P I've come across seller's who become hostile if you file first. IMO, there should at least be one attempt to contact the seller before paypal is even considered.
Yeah, everyone should at least TRY to work it out with the seller before filing anything.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

Thanks for the info it will come in handy in the future Z :thumb:

BettyBoop2

Post by BettyBoop2 »

the guys a thief--I don't intend to nagoshiate with him.
Here is in part what I said to Pay-Pal. ..

I purchased this item on 7/03/08 on eBay. Item #190233112871. Items were significantly different than described.

Seller in ad said..."All of them are in great shape. The covers and pages have no tears or rips in them." In fact the condition of the items is deplorable. Great shape to me would mean 7.0 to 8.0 (fine to very fine), a conditions like this would be in keeping with the price I paid. The REAL condition of these books are 3.0 to 4.5. Very very poor condition. Furthermore pages were said to have no tears and rips, this is not true at least 10 issues have pieces, chuncks and large tears.

Lastly in the ad headline and copy he states that 77 different issues are offered. There were 71 issues sent not 77.

This is gross representation. I would like my money refunded.

Also thank to Z and everyone else.
-the boop :thumb:

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

BettyBoop2 wrote:the guys a thief--I don't intend to nagoshiate with him.

I purchased this item on 7/03/08 on eBay. Item #190233112871. Items were significantly different than described.

Seller in ad said..."All of them are in great shape. The covers and pages have no tears or rips in them." In fact the condition of the items is deplorable. Great shape to me would mean 7.0 to 8.0 (fine to very fine), a conditions like this would be in keeping with the price I paid. The REAL condition of these books are 3.0 to 4.5. Very very poor condition. Furthermore pages were said to have no tears and rips, this is not true at least 10 issues have pieces, chuncks and large tears.

Lastly in the ad headline and copy he states that 77 different issues are offered. There were 71 issues sent not 77.

Just to follow up with what Z said. When escalating into a claim with PayPal, don't bother putting in the grading numbers. The arbitrator will have no clue what that means unless he was a collector himself and will most likely confuse him. Just keep it as simple as possible and provide some details to backup your claim. Expand further on the actual conditions of the books instead of a one liner. This will give more of a clear picture to the person who's deciding whether or not you should get a refund. :thumb:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

I can CERTAINLY understand that sentiment. It just becomes beyond obvious that someone's trying to scam you, and the disgust is just too much.

Y'all would be shocked at the amount of books I'm STILL GETTING that are overgraded, or packed poorly in shipping and get all smashed up.

It's shocking, especially in light of the new feedback.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Escaflown4 wrote:

Just to follow up with what Z said. When escalating into a claim with PayPal, don't bother putting in the grading numbers. The arbitrator will have no clue what that means unless he was a collector himself and will most likely confuse him. Just keep it as simple as possible and provide some details to backup your claim. Expand further on the actual conditions of the books instead of a one liner. This will give more of a clear picture to the person who's deciding whether or not you should get a refund. :thumb:
To expand on what Esca said (;)), when discussing grades, always talk in terms that a laymen would understand. Along with descriptors, say things like "Seller said the books would be 9 out of 10, and they're actually 2 or 3 out of 10"....even if it's not COMPLETELY accurate, they can understand this.

Since the guy didn't assign specific grades, you can't really do this on THIS transaction, but you can add to your notes BEFORE escalating to a claim.

Once you escalate, you get one final "say", and then you can't add anything more.

Moe's Tavern
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Moe's Tavern »

the smart move would have been to avoid this auction altogether. it has enough red flags that you can't say you weren't warned.