Poll: Solar & Magnus stories at Dark Horse

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Now that Dark Horse is publishing new Solar & Magnus stories

I plan to follow Valiant characters at both Dark Horse & VEI
64%
I'm just interested in what VEI will publish
25%
My interest will switch Dark Horse
8%
No effect. I just care about reprints and movies.
4%

Total votes: 53

Geomancer
Poll: Solar & Magnus stories at Dark Horse

Post by Geomancer »

Does the news that Dark Horse will be the company publishing new Solar and Magnus stories change the way you think of VEI?

I don't know if any poll can cover all the possible reactions, but I tried to cover what i see as being the major ones....

EDIT: My fifth category got chopped off. It was: Valiant as I knew it is now dead. I won't be following either.

My personal vote is that I plan to follow valiant characters at both Dark Horse AND VEI.

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

DH has become a great publisher. We should only hope that VEI experiences a similar success in both longevity and quality. I’ll check out the DH books—doesn’t mean they have to be on my pull list forever either.

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

I agree. Dark Horse and VEI would both have to earn my long term interest.

I will give them both that chance though.

Steve Topper
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Steve Topper »

Given that, to date, VEI has not announced anything about publishing monthly comics except a vague, nebulous statement that they will be publishing monthlies by the end of year -- there is nothing to follow from VEI.

But, I am willing to give them a chance. Some news would be nice though.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

I'd say option #1 is flawed, as Dark Horse won't be publishing Valiant characters. They'll be publishing characters once published by Valiant, but never owned by them. I also doubt that the stories will be able to have any connection with any of the Valiant Magnus or Solar story content.

As far as my interest in them, I might be interested in them if Jim Shooter was writing them, but otherwise, no. I don't collect the Gold Key versions of these heroes.

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

Brother J wrote:I'd say option #1 is flawed, as Dark Horse won't be publishing Valiant characters. They'll be publishing characters once published by Valiant, but never owned by them. I also doubt that the stories will be able to have any connection with any of the Valiant Magnus or Solar story content.

As far as my interest in them, I might be interested in them if Jim Shooter was writing them, but otherwise, no. I don't collect the Gold Key versions of these heroes.
I agree. But at the same time I think a good many people will always consider Solar and Magnus to be Valiant characters - all legalities aside. :)

With that in mind, its a way to see how many people are as invested in the characters themselves as they were in the shared universe that was Valiant.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Geomancer wrote:I will give them both that chance though.
You have to stay object about all of this for sure. I remember being so psyched when Star Wars Episode I came out and was dreadfully disappointed. I didn’t chuck my copies of the original trilogy or my complete collection of Kenner figures but I can’t say that I’m a hard core fan any more either.

Coincidentally, I have generally enjoyed the DH Star Wars comics and had hoped that they would pick up the Valiant characters back in the day so I remain hopeful.

Spagg
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Spagg »

I am only interested in Valiant's version of Magnus and Solar. Right now I don't plan on buying DH's version, though once the books are out that may change.

Zero
I discovered platinum in Indiana.
I discovered platinum in Indiana.

Post by Zero »

I'm bummed that VEI appears to have lost out on the opportunity to pull these characters back to the Valiant U, but at least they will have new stories again. I think Dark Horse will do right by the characters.

I will follow both VEI & the new incarnations of the Gold Key characters.

I'm just worried about the new Valiant... They will have to be careful how they start things back. I'm not sure how they can make the universe feel "complete". :cry:

JustCallMeAric
...remember that they are just paper.
...remember that they are just paper.

Post by JustCallMeAric »

I'll give them a shot but am very disappointed with VEI fot not getting the characters. Solar is the backbone of the Valiant Universe.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I will judge nothing until I read it.

If it's good comics, it's good comics.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Dr. Solar wrote:I will judge nothing until I read it.

Wise answer.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

I agree with solar just because its dark horse is not a bad thing, they might use GK continuity or valiant and pick up from thee. or a new run we will have to wait and see :thumb:

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

Took the words right out of my mouth :thumb:

Not exactly word for word but close enough.

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

I was only remotely interested in the characters because they were a part of VALIANT's stable. I know that there were some great tales told in both titles, but they never did much for me, overall.

As the "DH relaunch" won't be VALIANT, I can't see myself ever reading these.

BoH

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

I don't think the VEI guys had much of a shot at these characters as it is obvious DH had the inside track already. I am a little disappointed but I think the VEI guys already have a plan that takes into account these circumstances.

I was never a great Magnus fan so to me that doesn't really matter, same with Turok.

I think as far as Solar is concerned, that title is one of my top two from the VH1 period. But, the DH Solar will not be Phil Seleski, will not be in the VALIANT universe, whether they rope in Shooter or not. I mean, I'll look at it when it happens, but it isn't going to be our "Solar", it will be something else.

I mean, really, I think the VEI guys can work within their own copyrights and come up with a viable universe. I think we need to remember that a lot of the characters that were not so successful, that were introduced after Shooter could possibly be done in a popular manner now with the right creative team and direction. All in all, that would be more lucrative to develop in that direction versus renting the Gold Key characters, which really were at the height of their popularity when Shooter was plotting them and there is really no guarantee that synergy could be recreated.

Keep the faith :thumb: !

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Until there is an offical word from DH and or VEI I don't believe the newsrama story and chalk up as just a rumor.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

As VEI has a new start they don't have to involve the older stuff. I'm not saying they should ignore it, just that they could. I don't want to start up the usual *SQUEE*-storm that arise from challenging a continuity that is finished. They have the opportunity to start over.

So like Magnus did they can continue from but ignore the earlier stuff.

Magnus can be ignored because it is in the future so hasn't happened yet. I know, Rai. Do it another way. Reset button.

As previously mentioned, the Lost Land can be ignored or renamed.

Solar is out. Oh well, never mind. If they need to explain it, something happened (Maybe MOTA's '99 event-The destruction of Master Darque and Shadowman caused a backlash)and the world isn't the way it was before. The old heroes are gone and the new characters, some of which do resemble the old ones, have sprung up because the universe needs a balance.

The new world order allows for a Shadowman called Jack Boniface because of a space/time warp event. A Jack can die and there can still be a Jack. All is explained without worrying about messing around with who did what and who died and who survived. Everyone can get what they want and be happy.
Last edited by Drift on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:39:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

The major Solar story (issues 1-11) already happened . . for that period of time Solar was the most important character in the VU . . . and those stories were great . . .

But coming up with consistent good stories about anyone with the powers of God is always a pain in the *SQUEE* anyway . . . realistically Solar should be able to handle any problem that comes his way with a thought . . .

It's not really that big a loss, the origin of the VU is intact . . let's move forward . . .

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

:thumb:

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I will go ahead and buy the DH incarnations out of curiosity if nothing else. DH is a good company and I'd rather see them get the rights than Marvel or DC. Let's also remember that DH loves the crossovers, so the idea that the characters will never appear in a Valiant comic isn't completely true. I am curious, though, how they will do Magnus... will they pick up where Valiant left off or where Gold Key left off (which Valiant already did) or do they just reboot? That might make them more flexible in letting Valiant deal with their Solar issue (since he's based on a guy that likes the comic character anyways) and then Magnus could still be "around" but mostly just for crossovers. In my opinion, Solar is the only real loss and since Phil can still exist... I don't think anything is REALLY lost. Good riddance to Turok! :thumb: I will miss Magnus, though, but he was more of a stand alone character anyways, so I guess he's not really "lost".

yardstick
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by yardstick »

hmmmmm :hm:

Valiant - Dark Horse crossover...

hmmmm :hm:

nah... never happen...

:twisted: :P :thumb:

UnknownTales
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 2005
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Smith

Post by UnknownTales »

I will read this, but if they hire Priest and he cuts off Magnus' head again, I'll burn my copies.

That was the dumbest stunt in the medium that I've ever read in my 25 years of reading comics...

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

:lol: :lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Terrible news.

Hopefully, the DH versions will fail like the iBooks version failed and VEI will have another chance to get them.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic: