Bragging rights - your best deal of late?

Quick access to important topics since 2004

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

iggy101us wrote:Predator vs Magnus Robot Fighter TPB

$80 shipped. Received it yesterday and it's in NM condition. :thumb:
Cool, I was wondering what condition it would be.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Daniel Jackson wrote:

I know tha is a good price, but I can't see myslef ever paying that. Maybe I'll find one in a 1/2 price trade box at SDCC.

Right after I find my GBU. :D

childres
The more you post, the more you want to.

Post by childres »

Great Deal!

:thumb:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Elveen wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

I know tha is a good price, but I can't see myslef ever paying that. Maybe I'll find one in a 1/2 price trade box at SDCC.
It's hard to find one that's been sitting on the shelf or box in good condition. A lot of shops don't even bag tpb's so they get a lot shelf wear over the years.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Elveen wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

It's hard to find one that's been sitting on the shelf or box in good condition. A lot of shops don't even bag tpb's so they get a lot shelf wear over the years.

I hear you, but at this point, it would not matter to me much.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Elveen wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

Likewise

childres

Post by childres »

Brother J wrote:
childres wrote:Last Saturday I picked up the following 76 books for 25 cents each ($19 total). :)

Amazing Spider-man: 208, 220, 221, 223, 232, 235, 237(x2), 240, 242-247, 248, 251, 258-260, 263, 264, 270-272, 274(x2), 276, 278, 279(x2), 280(x2), 281, 282(x2), 283, 284, 286-288, 291, 292(x2), 294, 298

Iron Man: 114, 115(x2), 117, 119-121, 123, 124(x2), 125-127,129, 143, 148, 154, 155, 167, 168, 178, 182

Reprint of Action 1
DC Comics Presents 87
Inside Image 5
Marvel Spotlight 28
Moon Knight 1 (vol 1)
Star Trek 1 (DC)
Uncanny X-Men 248
Web of Spider-Man 32
Were they in decent condition?
Pretty nice! They had been bagged or bagged & boarded, then left alone since 94. The Spotlight was the worst conditioned at VG to VG+, but I liked the Moon Knight cover. The others were all strong FN to NM with mostly OW pages (a couple were W). I didn't buy any book if it had a crease, spine roll, ink smudging, etc.

Most of what this guy had was in nice shape. He was a dealer, but also a collector himself so they were taken care of since he had closed his shop. He had probably just under 4000 books left overall, although a lot was the usual early 90's drek. He did have a short box of GI Joe's I wouldn't have minded getting, but they were the only books that had obviously been read ALOT. He had taken them in on a trade. I should have got a few more Iron Man issues. I stopped somewhere in the middle of the original 60 cent price run. I was being cheap as usual, and thats bad when the asking price is 25 cents per book. I would go back & buy a few more but he was in the process of moving, and should be moved out by now.

As I said the guy was a collector himself, his thing was war and westerns. He showed me me some of his Dell western collection, and part of his Sgt Fury stuff. I think he told me he was missing 2 books having the entire run on the Sgt. Fury.

-Joe

whovianone
...it hurts so much ...my brain hurts!
...it hurts so much ...my brain hurts!

Post by whovianone »

Elveen wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Elveen wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

OH yeah, keep me in mind if you see two of them, C! :thumb:

:D

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

The benefits of buying from a newer (ie. low feedback) seller:

Star Wars #107 $8.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0234518694

X-Men #108 $10.01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0234519289

Both are in great condition, VF+ for the X-Men, VF/NM for the Star Wars. :thumb:

childres

Post by childres »

Great deals on both! That Star Wars issue is hard to find in such nice condition.

:thumb:

-Joe

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

both sweet deals :thumb:

KenClarkson4Prez
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by KenClarkson4Prez »

My local store just restocked their 50 cent bin with a HUGE amount of post-UNITY titles. I just spent 60 bucks filling in various holes in my collection. nothing that struck me as particularly rare (tho vintage magnus 1-4 were in there), but virtually every issue i was looking for was in that bin! And if i start collecting Turok, Bloodshot, Ninjak, Visitor, Armorines, Geomancer, Hard Corps or Acclaim titles, i'll probably have to spend another 60 bucks! It will be alot easier than bidding on eBay lots!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:My local store just restocked their 50 cent bin with a HUGE amount of post-UNITY titles. I just spent 60 bucks filling in various holes in my collection. nothing that struck me as particularly rare (tho vintage magnus 1-4 were in there), but virtually every issue i was looking for was in that bin! And if i start collecting Turok, Bloodshot, Ninjak, Visitor, Armorines, Geomancer, Hard Corps or Acclaim titles, i'll probably have to spend another 60 bucks! It will be alot easier than bidding on eBay lots!

I am lucky to also have cheap bins in my area. From the response of dude on the boards, we are lucky. Can't beat .50.

KenClarkson4Prez

Elveen wrote:
KenClarkson4Prez wrote:My local store just restocked their 50 cent bin with a HUGE amount of post-UNITY titles. I just spent 60 bucks filling in various holes in my collection. nothing that struck me as particularly rare (tho vintage magnus 1-4 were in there), but virtually every issue i was looking for was in that bin! And if i start collecting Turok, Bloodshot, Ninjak, Visitor, Armorines, Geomancer, Hard Corps or Acclaim titles, i'll probably have to spend another 60 bucks! It will be alot easier than bidding on eBay lots!

I am lucky to also have cheap bins in my area. From the response of dude on the boards, we are lucky. Can't beat .50.
Definitely. its great to get 8 or 9 books for the price of one new book. its also a great way to find titles you wouldn't try at cover price. the issues i picked up were all unbagged, but had only been in the bins for a couple days, so were still close to NM.

I haven't picked up any acclaim titles, but there were some Eternal warriors issues, shadowman, and Harbinger-acts of god in there too. are any of those worth reading? I guess for 50 cents, its worth a shot, right?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Definitely. its great to get 8 or 9 books for the price of one new book. its also a great way to find titles you wouldn't try at cover price. the issues i picked up were all unbagged, but had only been in the bins for a couple days, so were still close to NM.

I haven't picked up any acclaim titles, but there were some Eternal warriors issues, shadowman, and Harbinger-acts of god in there too. are any of those worth reading? I guess for 50 cents, its worth a shot, right?

I would say that any Accliam book is worth .50, just from going by the price guide.

You need to check out the price guide on this site, and you might hav ehit the jackpot if the Shadowman books are V3. They are $10 each.

KenClarkson4Prez

Elveen wrote:
KenClarkson4Prez wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I would say that any Accliam book is worth .50, just from going by the price guide.

You need to check out the price guide on this site, and you might hav ehit the jackpot if the Shadowman books are V3. They are $10 each.
I think they were V2, but i am pretty unfamiliar with all the acclaim stuff, so i am not sure. either way, i'd only grab them if they are worth reading. price guide value is not something that i pay attention to.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:
Elveen wrote:
KenClarkson4Prez wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I think they were V2, but i am pretty unfamiliar with all the acclaim stuff, so i am not sure. either way, i'd only grab them if they are worth reading. price guide value is not something that i pay attention to.

Shadowman V3 is a VERY good read.

Shadowman V2, I liked, the middle 6 or so issues, not a good as the begining and the end.

I really liked Eternal Warriors, all of the books. They had a good story, all the books were connected.

The Solar books are all very good reads, and sort of the basis of the Acclaim universe.

The Darque passages and Master Darque books are good.

I did like the Harby one shot book. Some did not, I think it laid a good possibility for Harby books in the Acclaim uni.

I have only read a few Bloodshot books, but the art is GREAT.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

The EW books were teh best besides Q&W for me :thumb:

KenClarkson4Prez

thanks for the great recommendations. I have Solar-hell on earth #4, I couldn't get into it, but thats just because i couldn't follow anything that was going on. Have a few XO issues which i thought were horrible. i think thats all i have. i'll have to give the others a shot for 50 cents.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

teh late xo issues are horrible but hard to come by 50 cents is a deal :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

superman-prime wrote:teh late xo issues are horrible but hard to come by 50 cents is a deal :thumb:
Amen

J-Scott-R
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by J-Scott-R »

:clap: My best buy of late was finding 3 copies of Rai #21 VVSS for $5 a piece at a local flea market a few weeks back, he had a copy of Magnus #25 VVSS also but I was running short of money, maybe next time. :clap:

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

21 was a steal :thumb:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

J-Scott-R wrote::clap: My best buy of late was finding 3 copies of Rai #21 VVSS for $5 a piece at a local flea market a few weeks back, he had a copy of Magnus #25 VVSS also but I was running short of money, maybe next time. :clap:

Nice. Should have somehow gotten all the VVSS.

J-Scott-R

Post by J-Scott-R »

Elveen wrote:
J-Scott-R wrote::clap: My best buy of late was finding 3 copies of Rai #21 VVSS for $5 a piece at a local flea market a few weeks back, he had a copy of Magnus #25 VVSS also but I was running short of money, maybe next time. :clap:

Nice. Should have somehow gotten all the VVSS.
I'm going back for the Magnus this weekend, hopefully its still there as well as a few more goodies. :)