you gotta be kidding

Non-VALIANT items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
you gotta be kidding

Post by myron »

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Did you actually look at the auction? It is for a reprint...from 1987... :thumb:

myron

Post by myron »

doh....I was trying to read the label on the slab...thought it said 87...but could a been 37 :tomato: :bricks:

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

It also says it in the description and if you click on the picture you can see a bigger image...It is kinda back handed, but he is upfront about what it is...well kinda upfront, but I doubt that the folks that would be interested in dropping the million plus that book would command would just bidding on it without checking...

Also I think that everyone knows where the 2 HG Action 1's are and I dont think that they are cgc'd....this would have to be a totally new book on the scene.. :thumb:

myron

Post by myron »

that's exactly the point I was trying to make...should a read the description though... :!:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I've got my snipe set for $40,000!

:hope:

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

If the book really was an Action 1 in NM- the price would probably be around $2 million or so...Actually I think that $2 million has been turned down for the Church Action 1, though it could be slightly higher than 9.2....though I doubt that copy will ever come up for sale...probably not during any of our lifetimes. The Dentist owns it and the Allentown Tec 27...I doubt that he will ever be selling them and then his son also loves comics..Of course he could sell every book he has except those 2 and still have the greatest collection of comics in the world. :thumb:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

DawgPhan wrote:If the book really was an Action 1 in NM- the price would probably be around $2 million or so...Actually I think that $2 million has been turned down for the Church Action 1, though it could be slightly higher than 9.2....though I doubt that copy will ever come up for sale...probably not during any of our lifetimes. The Dentist owns it and the Allentown Tec 27...I doubt that he will ever be selling them and then his son also loves comics..Of course he could sell every book he has except those 2 and still have the greatest collection of comics in the world. :thumb:
Reminds me of the Eliasberg sale. Louis B. Eliasberg was a banker who, by 1950, owned one of every single US coin ever minted then known at the time, with the possible exception of the 1933 $20 gold (there are rumors that he owned it before Farouk, but one never knows.) It was missing coins like the 1870-S half dime, because that coin wasn't known to exist at the time (it wasn't discovered until the late 70's) It is still hailed as the greatest US coin collection of all time.

Not only did he own one of everything, but he owned virtually the finest of everything as well. His 1913 Liberty nickel is graded the highest (PF-66), and his 1804 $1 is also the finest known. His 1927-D $20 is the highest grade known, also, and one of only 13 or 14 of the coins known to be in existance.

(For you print run afficianados out there, there were 200,000 27-Ds minted....all but 13 or 14 were melted down after FDR took us off the gold standard in 1933. Can you imagine? No one...not even Max Mehl...thought to save this coin. They literally all sat in the vault in Denver until the order came to melt them down. In 1932, you could have bought all you wanted...for $20 each. Now....the finest are $500,000-$1,000,000. Two, amazinglu enough, were found...undisturbed...in the Connecticut Museum of History in 1995, having been purchased as SPECIMEN SAMPLES in 1927 from the mint!! Their whereabouts went TOTALLY UNMENTIONED for over 60 YEARS!)

The Eliasberg collection was sold in three sections, the first two in 1982, the last in 1996, and naturally it brought record prices.

Numismatists consider it the 'chance of a lifetime' and doubt such a collection will surface again for decades.

All of that to say this: the superkeys WILL show up at auction, someday...probably within the next 20 years. The Mile High Action #1 sold in 1982, so the owner, with substantial cash THEN, has to be in his 60's...if not older...by now. Most of the super Golden gems have been quietly taking up vault space for the better part of 30 years, and their owners won't live forever. Once these folks start dying off, we'll see these incredible collections surface.

It's only a matter of time.....

Oh, and can you believe the Allentown Tec #29? A 9.6. A NINE point SIX!