Shooter's plans post-Legion [VEI and/or Dark Horse?]

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

geocarr wrote:LOSH #50 Series Finale
Wow, well the interior artwork has been pretty bad lately. I look forward to the new project though.

jdmoonie77
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by jdmoonie77 »

I think reboot would be the logical choice since Shooter stated previuosly that he had picked up where GK left off. Now since both VALIANT and DH has done Crossovers in the past (though it was thru the old owners of Valiant) Maybe a crossover in the line of ELSEWORLDS STORIES can be negotiated. How do you guys feel about it if something like this could be negotiated?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

jdmoonie77 wrote: Now since both VALIANT and DH has done Crossovers in the past (though it was thru the old owners of Valiant) Maybe a crossover in the line of ELSEWORLDS STORIES can be negotiated. How do you guys feel about it if something like this could be negotiated?
Since VEI didn't get the rights to the GK characters like we all hoped, maybe it's time for us to just move on. The idea of doing an occasional crossover really doesn't do much for me.

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
jdmoonie77 wrote: Now since both VALIANT and DH has done Crossovers in the past (though it was thru the old owners of Valiant) Maybe a crossover in the line of ELSEWORLDS STORIES can be negotiated. How do you guys feel about it if something like this could be negotiated?
Since VEI didn't get the rights to the GK characters like we all hoped, maybe it's time for us to just move on. The idea of doing an occasional crossover really doesn't do much for me.
I have to agree with that.

I don't want to hope for a DH failure and wait out the rights to the GK characters becoming available once again and then hoping VEI wins the rights.

It seems a lot simpler to come up with a legal substitute for Solar and perhaps Magnus [if they even bother to pick up on 41st century storytelling]

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

etos45 wrote:
Geomancer wrote:I'm guessing a DH reboot, too.

DH has reprinted the Gold key stories, and I'd expect them to pick up the story from there.

Personally, I don't get how that would be a repeat. There wasn't just one way to proceed from the Gold Key stories. We saw one approach with VALIANT, and now we'll get another with DH. Even if the architect ends up being the same guy.
I just don't see the point of picking up where the original series ended when it's already been done. I'm not saying they couldn't do it, it's just redundant. It's kind of the same argument that people use for being opposed to VEI picking up where Unity left off. If they did a flat out reboot of Magnus, then I probably won't buy it. I don't like Magnus that much. :P
Given that they aged Magnus so he could have a son old enough to have adventures of his own, I had imagined Magnus would be getting some kind of reboot, no matter who published his new adventures.
The difference, I imagine, is that instead of having harbingers, X-O, etc - a post GK Solar and magnus would form a new universe with Doctor Occult and whoever else GK had.

That by itself would be a change of pace.

Otherwise, don't the characters essentially stay the same anyway? How much personal growth did Phil Seleski actually go through?

Do you feel that a new Magnus series should have to include Torque II and Leeja's son Rai?

[PS these are genuine questions on my part asked outof pure curiosity]

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I was against Valiant aging Magnus like they did (and it turned out badly), but it did open a window to still have a "Magnus" type character in the new VU.

Same goes for Solar. I never did care for the Destroyer, but if he could be "retooled" they could possibly use this character to replace Solar.

I suppose they will have to iron out how it can be done with infringing on the GK rights of the original characters though.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

My 2 cents.

Magnus will always be defined by Russ Manning's vision. Shooter got it right by keeping the continuity and feeling of the Gold Key series, while updating the stories for a more mature audience and adding layers of depth on top of the Manning continuity.

I think any new Magnus series would have to do a similar thing. If they're just going to use the Magnus name and change the setting radically (like the later Valiant issues) then there's really no sense in using the Magnus license in the first place.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I'd rather VEI go forward with other ideas than try to "retool" Magnus & Solar. An imitation is just no substitute for the real thing.

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

It looks like Dark Horse plans on reprinting Mighty Samson [another Gold Key series].

So presumably he and Doktor Spektor will be in the mix along with Magnus and Solar.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Hmm...I wonder how many other GK characters they plan on resurrecting? Captain Johner maybe?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Hmm...I wonder how many other GK characters they plan on resurrecting? Captain Johner maybe?
I'm pretty sure DH has been given the green light on ANY Gold Key character they wish to publish...problem is there aren't really THAT many Gold Key character Worth printing NEW material for.

-Brian

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

betterthanezra wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:Hmm...I wonder how many other GK characters they plan on resurrecting? Captain Johner maybe?
I'm pretty sure DH has been given the green light on ANY Gold Key character they wish to publish...problem is there aren't really THAT many Gold Key character Worth printing NEW material for.

-Brian
I always thought it was odd that Valiant chose to reprint Captain Johner, but never followed up on it.

tarheelmarine
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Ryan wrote:My 2 cents.

Magnus will always be defined by Russ Manning's vision. Shooter got it right by keeping the continuity and feeling of the Gold Key series, while updating the stories for a more mature audience and adding layers of depth on top of the Manning continuity.

I think any new Magnus series would have to do a similar thing. If they're just going to use the Magnus name and change the setting radically (like the later Valiant issues) then there's really no sense in using the Magnus license in the first place.
I have never read any of Manning's Magnus, but Valiant's Magnus was/is my favorite series.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

tarheelmarine wrote:
Ryan wrote:My 2 cents.

I have never read any of Manning's Magnus, but Valiant's Magnus was/is my favorite series.
You ought to check them out sometime, a lot of the stories are pretty good.

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

You guys are right about the seemingly low number of Gold Key characters.

Is there any comprehensive list anywhere?

I suppose since they never really got into a shared universe format or had any equivalent to the Unity event, its tough to know who would be up for consideration.

cshepard81
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by cshepard81 »

Geomancer wrote:You guys are right about the seemingly low number of Gold Key characters.

Is there any comprehensive list anywhere?

I suppose since they never really got into a shared universe format or had any equivalent to the Unity event, its tough to know who would be up for consideration.
I'd be interested to find that out, too. Also, even though it's not technically Valiant, creating an inventory for Gold Key titles that became Valiant properties would be cool.

I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but did anybody see Dark Horse's January solicitations that included updated Turok, Son of Stone artwork?
I might pick these up. I was a big fan of the original comics.
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18402

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

Not that it necessarily adds much to the original theme of this thread, but Jim Shhoter revealed more details from his sp-lit with DC.

Once again, he mentions having offers from companies other than DC. No more details than that. But he does sound like a guy who isn't planning on spending any idle time and seems to have comic books in his near future.

“Sales of ‘The Legion of Super-Heroes’ aren’t great, but they’re a lot better than those of some of the titles they’re keeping. I think canceling the book is a graceful way of getting rid of me. I complain too much and too loudly.”

As to what’s next for the award-winning writer, editor and publisher, Jim Shooter told CBR, “I have several offers – none from DC. We’ll see.”

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=18623